Basic visualization queries

Usman Bhatti
Hi,

While brainstorming the project Moose-on-the-Web (providing a moose interface on the web), we thought about putting a few basic/common visualization queries on the web. These queries will allow users to have an understanding of their system without trying different combinations of elements (packages, class, methods, etc.) and different combinations of visualizations (UML diagram, class blue-print, etc.). So, we thought to take a feedback from the people on this list regarding the common visualizations they find useful for a potential user of the system.

Can you please provide a list of three visualizations that you think can be useful for a user for his/her system?

thanx

Usman

Post-Doc at RMoD Team

Re: Basic visualization queries

Stéphane Ducasse
The idea is
        what are the three scenario that we could put by default.
        We were thinking about a dashboard at package level.

Stef

On Jan 26, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Usman Bhatti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While brainstorming the project Moose-on-the-Web (providing a moose interface on the web), we thought about putting a few basic/common visualization queries on the web. These queries will allow users to have an understanding of their system without trying different combinations of elements (packages, class, methods, etc.) and different combinations of visualizations (UML diagram, class blue-print, etc.). So, we thought to take a feedback from the people on this list regarding the common visualizations they find useful for a potential user of the system.
>
> Can you please provide a list of three visualizations that you think can be useful for a user for his/her system?
>
> thanx
>
> Usman
>
> Post-Doc at RMoD Team

Re: Basic visualization queries

Alexandre Bergel
> Can you please provide a list of three visualizations that you think can be useful for a user for his/her system?

The visualization I personally often use are:
- Distribution map
- Test blueprint (the one from Hapao)
- Ad-hoc visualization that shows me the package dependencies

There is a SVG exporter for Mondrian, it may be useful for your project.

> Post-Doc at RMoD Team

You do a postdoc with Stef, cool!

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Jan 26, 2011, at 9:30 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> Can you please provide a list of three visualizations that you think can be useful for a user for his/her system?
>
> The visualization I personally often use are:
> - Distribution map
        with what?

> - Test blueprint (the one from Hapao)
> - Ad-hoc visualization that shows me the package dependencies
>
> There is a SVG exporter for Mondrian, it may be useful for your project.
>
>> Post-Doc at RMoD Team
>
> You do a postdoc with Stef, cool!
>
> Alexandre

Re: Basic visualization queries

Alexandre Bergel
>>> Can you please provide a list of three visualizations that you think can be useful for a user for his/her system?
>>
>> The visualization I personally often use are:
>> - Distribution map
> with what?

It really depends of the customer.
For a case study with a company we checked short and long methods. We also checked methods having a particular pattern in it.
In Mondrian we used matching of instances variable with '*cache*'.

I feel that many visualizations, and in particular distribution map have to be configurable.

Cheers,
Alexandre

>> - Test blueprint (the one from Hapao)
>> - Ad-hoc visualization that shows me the package dependencies
>>
>> There is a SVG exporter for Mondrian, it may be useful for your project.
>>
>>> Post-Doc at RMoD Team
>>
>> You do a postdoc with Stef, cool!
>>
>> Alexandre
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Basic visualization queries

simondenier

- an intuitive layer-based viz (layertable is nice but not intuitive, a bit like cycletable)

Would be nice to have that for Menssana too

On 26 janv. 2011, at 18:41, Usman Bhatti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While brainstorming the project Moose-on-the-Web (providing a moose interface on the web), we thought about putting a few basic/common visualization queries on the web. These queries will allow users to have an understanding of their system without trying different combinations of elements (packages, class, methods, etc.) and different combinations of visualizations (UML diagram, class blue-print, etc.). So, we thought to take a feedback from the people on this list regarding the common visualizations they find useful for a potential user of the system.
>
> Can you please provide a list of three visualizations that you think can be useful for a user for his/her system?
>
> thanx
>
> Usman
>
> Post-Doc at RMoD Team

Simon Denier

Re: Basic visualization queries

jfabry

I think that some of the ideas of AspectMaps could be backported to the polymetric views visualization: dynamically selecting the metrics for width and height, and having a structural zoom on the contents of the classes. See the screencast http://pleiad.cl/research/software/aspectmaps_struct_zoom to see what the latter means. For an idea of how nice the former is to work with, see http://pleiad.cl/research/software/aspectmaps_ui at about the 3:30 mark ...

On 26 Jan 2011, at 20:10, Simon Denier wrote:

> - an intuitive layer-based viz (layertable is nice but not intuitive, a bit like cycletable)
>
> Would be nice to have that for Menssana too
>

> On 26 janv. 2011, at 18:41, Usman Bhatti wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While brainstorming the project Moose-on-the-Web (providing a moose interface on the web), we thought about putting a few basic/common visualization queries on the web. These queries will allow users to have an understanding of their system without trying different combinations of elements (packages, class, methods, etc.) and different combinations of visualizations (UML diagram, class blue-print, etc.). So, we thought to take a feedback from the people on this list regarding the common visualizations they find useful for a potential user of the system.
>>
>> Can you please provide a list of three visualizations that you think can be useful for a user for his/her system?
>>
>> thanx
>>
>> Usman
>>
>> Post-Doc at RMoD Team

> Simon Denier

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Basic visualization queries

Tudor Girba
For the customizable system complexity, there already is a browser in:
FAMIXClassGroup>>viewSystemComplexityInWizard

or from the menu:
ClassGroup / Visualize / Customizable System Compexity

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 Jan 2011, at 16:58, Johan Fabry wrote:

> I think that some of the ideas of AspectMaps could be backported to the polymetric views visualization: dynamically selecting the metrics for width and height, and having a structural zoom on the contents of the classes. See the screencast http://pleiad.cl/research/software/aspectmaps_struct_zoom to see what the latter means. For an idea of how nice the former is to work with, see http://pleiad.cl/research/software/aspectmaps_ui at about the 3:30 mark ...
>
> On 26 Jan 2011, at 20:10, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> - an intuitive layer-based viz (layertable is nice but not intuitive, a bit like cycletable)
>>
>> Would be nice to have that for Menssana too
>>

>> On 26 janv. 2011, at 18:41, Usman Bhatti wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While brainstorming the project Moose-on-the-Web (providing a moose interface on the web), we thought about putting a few basic/common visualization queries on the web. These queries will allow users to have an understanding of their system without trying different combinations of elements (packages, class, methods, etc.) and different combinations of visualizations (UML diagram, class blue-print, etc.). So, we thought to take a feedback from the people on this list regarding the common visualizations they find useful for a potential user of the system.
>>>
>>> Can you please provide a list of three visualizations that you think can be useful for a user for his/her system?
>>>
>>> thanx
>>>
>>> Usman
>>>
>>> Post-Doc at RMoD Team
>>
>> --
>> Simon Denier

> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: Basic visualization queries

jfabry

OK so you just need to add the structural zoom to that :-)

On 27 Jan 2011, at 13:04, Tudor Girba wrote:

> For the customizable system complexity, there already is a browser in:
> FAMIXClassGroup>>viewSystemComplexityInWizard
>
> or from the menu:
> ClassGroup / Visualize / Customizable System Compexity
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 27 Jan 2011, at 16:58, Johan Fabry wrote:
>

>> I think that some of the ideas of AspectMaps could be backported to the polymetric views visualization: dynamically selecting the metrics for width and height, and having a structural zoom on the contents of the classes. See the screencast http://pleiad.cl/research/software/aspectmaps_struct_zoom to see what the latter means. For an idea of how nice the former is to work with, see http://pleiad.cl/research/software/aspectmaps_ui at about the 3:30 mark ...

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Basic visualization queries

Alexandre Bergel
What the system complexity offers is a blueprint of the class where the mouse if waving upon.

Cheers,
Alexandre