Beginner Tasks

Jeff Gonis
Hi Everyone,

I have been following Pharo for some time now, after starting off my smalltalk experience with Squeak By Example.  I was wondering if there were any tasks suited to relative smalltalk beginners that could aid Pharo?  I would like to contribute to the project but I consider my smalltalk skills still fairly basic, so are there tasks that I could accomplish that would aid the project without requiring expertise?  Does documentation need to be written about something, do test scripts need to be run on new changes, are there basic fixes that need to be made that people are too busy to get to at the moment?  I would be willing to assist with any and all of these, so please let me know what I can do.

Thanks for your time and your efforts!
Jeff G.

Re: Beginner Tasks

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks Jeff and welcome
I think that this is the best way to learn.
What I see
        - writing some tests on class you start to understand.
        - verify that fixes posted on the bugtracker are fixing what they
should (I mean
        something just mentioning that the file does not load helps, or that
you can/cannot reproduce a bug
        is nice.

        - building an enhanced colorMixer so that we can mixColor in a better
way.
                Damien Pollet proposed this topic in the past

        - a nicer project would be to help improving the embryonic testServer
we have
                - I could come up with some simple tasks if you want, review the
code and mentor you.

Stef

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have been following Pharo for some time now, after starting off my
> smalltalk experience with Squeak By Example.  I was wondering if
> there were any tasks suited to relative smalltalk beginners that
> could aid Pharo?  I would like to contribute to the project but I
> consider my smalltalk skills still fairly basic, so are there tasks
> that I could accomplish that would aid the project without requiring
> expertise?  Does documentation need to be written about something,
> do test scripts need to be run on new changes, are there basic fixes
> that need to be made that people are too busy to get to at the
> moment?  I would be willing to assist with any and all of these, so
> please let me know what I can do.
>
> Thanks for your time and your efforts!
> Jeff G. _______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Re: Beginner Tasks

Robert Peters
What is this "testServer" you are talking about?  I searched this forum a little bit but didn't find any information on it.

I write web-apps in Django for Google App Engine, and my current test suite for a project takes 45 seconds to run.  This frustrates me because unit testing is (or, at least, should be) an easily distributed task (as good unit tests do not depend on each other).  If Python would even simply use both cores of my main work computer, my tests would only take 23 seconds, and if it used all computers on my local network, it could take 5-10 seconds.  This would be a huge saving for me.

All of this to say I have been thinking about a 'test server' that would take a queue of tests, set up the proper environments on as many cores as it had available, and send out the tests, collect the responses and display them.

Is this what you mean by 'testServer'?

I have wanted to help Pharo, but being an un-skilled Smalltalk programmer, and having other Python-based projects that were more urgent, I haven't done much about it.  However, this 'testServer' caught my eye, because I've been thinking about creating such a thing for my own Python-based use.  Please let me know if what I propose is what you intend. If so I may be willing to try and create something for Pharo to use.

Kind regards,
Robert

Stéphane Ducasse-2 wrote
        - a nicer project would be to help improving the embryonic testServer
we have

Re: Beginner Tasks

Simon Denier-3

Now this is a rather rudimentary adaptation from a tool made by Swiss guys. It runs automatically when launching the image, loads packages and runs tests for different projects.

Right now it is tailored for Moose projects

I guess that the area that need improvements are:
- configuration of projects to load, with prerequisites (using Metacello perhaps?). Right now this is hard-coded, see TSProject class>>run
- headless running (sometimes some interactive dialogs still pop up, especially when there is a problem loading a package, and this ruins the automatization)
- better handling of errors (problems such as above)

Stéphane Ducasse-2 wrote:

- a nicer project would be to help improving the embryonic testServer
we have

 Simon

Re: Beginner Tasks

Michael Roberts-2
for the moment you don't need to load any project related code. a
simple test server would
1a) download the latest published core image from inria or
1b) load all the available updates into the last image downloaded,
save image locally
2) file in the baseline test code & run the tests (done - see wiki)
3) publish the results to the wiki

cheers,
Mike

2009/7/29 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>:

> Stef is talking of http://www.squeaksource.com/TestServerSimple.html
> Now this is a rather rudimentary adaptation from a tool made by Swiss guys.
> It runs automatically when launching the image, loads packages and runs
> tests for different projects.
> Right now it is tailored for Moose projects
> I guess that the area that need improvements are:
> - configuration of projects to load, with prerequisites (using Metacello
> perhaps?). Right now this is hard-coded, see TSProject class>>run
> - headless running (sometimes some interactive dialogs still pop up,
> especially when there is a problem loading a package, and this ruins the
> automatization)
> - better handling of errors (problems such as above)
>
> On 29 juil. 09, at 18:46, Robert Peters wrote:
>
> What is this "testServer" you are talking about?  I searched this forum a
> little bit but didn't find any information on it.
>
> I write web-apps in Django for Google App Engine, and my current test suite
> for a project takes 45 seconds to run.  This frustrates me because unit
> testing is (or, at least, should be) an easily distributed task (as good
> unit tests do not depend on each other).  If Python would even simply use
> both cores of my main work computer, my tests would only take 23 seconds,
> and if it used all computers on my local network, it could take 5-10
> seconds.  This would be a huge saving for me.
>
> All of this to say I have been thinking about a 'test server' that would
> take a queue of tests, set up the proper environments on as many cores as it
> had available, and send out the tests, collect the responses and display
> them.
>
> Is this what you mean by 'testServer'?
>
> I have wanted to help Pharo, but being an un-skilled Smalltalk programmer,
> and having other Python-based projects that were more urgent, I haven't done
> much about it.  However, this 'testServer' caught my eye, because I've been
> thinking about creating such a thing for my own Python-based use.  Please
> let me know if what I propose is what you intend. If so I may be willing to
> try and create something for Pharo to use.
>
> Kind regards,
> Robert
>

> Stéphane Ducasse-2 wrote:
>

> - a nicer project would be to help improving the embryonic testServer
>
> we have
>
> Stef

>  Simon

Re: Beginner Tasks

SergeStinckwich
2009/7/30 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>:

> Stef is talking of http://www.squeaksource.com/TestServerSimple.html
> Now this is a rather rudimentary adaptation from a tool made by Swiss guys.
> It runs automatically when launching the image, loads packages and runs
> tests for different projects.
> Right now it is tailored for Moose projects
> I guess that the area that need improvements are:
> - configuration of projects to load, with prerequisites (using Metacello
> perhaps?). Right now this is hard-coded, see TSProject class>>run
> - headless running (sometimes some interactive dialogs still pop up,
> especially when there is a problem loading a package, and this ruins the
> automatization)
> - better handling of errors (problems such as above)

What could be nice is a build server like this one :
https://hudson.dev.java.net/
Look here for a running example: http://build.willowgarage.com/

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Beginner Tasks

Douglas Brebner
Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> 2009/7/30 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Stef is talking of http://www.squeaksource.com/TestServerSimple.html
>> Now this is a rather rudimentary adaptation from a tool made by Swiss guys.
>> It runs automatically when launching the image, loads packages and runs
>> tests for different projects.
>> Right now it is tailored for Moose projects
>> I guess that the area that need improvements are:
>> - configuration of projects to load, with prerequisites (using Metacello
>> perhaps?). Right now this is hard-coded, see TSProject class>>run
>> - headless running (sometimes some interactive dialogs still pop up,
>> especially when there is a problem loading a package, and this ruins the
>> automatization)
>> - better handling of errors (problems such as above)
>>

> What could be nice is a build server like this one :
> https://hudson.dev.java.net/
> Look here for a running example: http://build.willowgarage.com/

Don't we already have a build server in the form of Keiths Bob & Sake?
It even has a Seaside interface.

Re: Beginner Tasks

Adrian Lienhard

On Jul 29, 2009, at 23:00 , Michael Roberts wrote:

> for the moment you don't need to load any project related code. a
> simple test server would
> 1a) download the latest published core image from inria or
> 1b) load all the available updates into the last image downloaded,
> save image locally
> 2) file in the baseline test code & run the tests (done - see wiki)
> 3) publish the results to the wiki

Yes, I think that is a very good plan. It is simple but it is useful.
We have had already a couple of automated testing projects that wanted
to do too much and then they were never finished. Note also, that we
not only need somebody that implements the server but also somebody
that maintains it afterwards.

Cheers,
Adrian

> [...]
>> display
>> them.
>>
>> Is this what you mean by 'testServer'?
>>
>> I have wanted to help Pharo, but being an un-skilled Smalltalk
>> programmer,
>> and having other Python-based projects that were more urgent, I
>> haven't done
>> much about it.  However, this 'testServer' caught my eye, because
>> I've been
>> thinking about creating such a thing for my own Python-based use.
>> Please
>> let me know if what I propose is what you intend. If so I may be
>> willing to
>> try and create something for Pharo to use.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Robert
>>

>> Stéphane Ducasse-2 wrote:
>>

>> - a nicer project would be to help improving the embryonic testServer

Re: Beginner Tasks

We need an integration server that run tests for us.
We should build it peeble (not stone) by peeble but we really need it.
for example the output of SUnit should be also Junit format so that we
can output to java frontend.

Stef

On Jul 30, 2009, at 3:04 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> 2009/7/30 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>:
>> Stef is talking of http://www.squeaksource.com/TestServerSimple.html
>> Now this is a rather rudimentary adaptation from a tool made by
>> Swiss guys.
>> It runs automatically when launching the image, loads packages and
>> runs
>> tests for different projects.
>> Right now it is tailored for Moose projects
>> I guess that the area that need improvements are:
>> - configuration of projects to load, with prerequisites (using
>> Metacello
>> perhaps?). Right now this is hard-coded, see TSProject class>>run
>> - headless running (sometimes some interactive dialogs still pop up,
>> especially when there is a problem loading a package, and this
>> ruins the
>> automatization)
>> - better handling of errors (problems such as above)
>
> What could be nice is a build server like this one :
> https://hudson.dev.java.net/
> Look here for a running example: http://build.willowgarage.com/
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Beginner Tasks

> Don't we already have a build server in the form of Keiths Bob & Sake?
> It even has a Seaside interface.

May be. This is just that I could never understand Sake (I love the
idea of Bob
I always told it to keith).

Re: Beginner Tasks

> I have wanted to help Pharo, but being an un-skilled Smalltalk
> programmer,

Hi Robert
you can help.
Everybody can help.
        Reporting a bug clearly helps
        Commenting that a bug is reproducible helps
        Start small :)
        Point us to cool python techno we should get inspired too.