Beginner's question / zinc w/ seaside...

Beginner's question / zinc w/ seaside...

Cameron Sanders
Hi All.

Can someone please point me to the documentation on how to register my apps when using Zinc & Seaside? And/or advise me on how to proceed. Thanks in advance.

1. I started with a clean Pharo-1.4. I pulled in Seaside, and some of my class DpFnSeriesProcessorReportQuery.

2. Then I manually started Zinc via ZnServer vi "ZnServer startDefaultOn: 8080".

Opening  a browser gave me the default Zinc page(s).

3. Later (after struggling to get my app registered) I spotted the Seaside Control Panel on the menu, I did a "ZnServer shutDown". Followed by opened the Seaside control panel.

4. In the Seaside control panel I added the Zinc Adaptor, and clicked the "Start" button.

Opening a browser gave me the familiar Seaside intro/config pages. But minutes later... it was back to the Zinc default pages.  [Perhaps I had another pharo-seaside image running ... and didn't notice??]

5. I stopped & started the server through the Seaside control panel, but I still get the zinc pages.

-
Separately, I played with variations on ...

DpFnSeriesProcessorReportQuery class>>initialize

which is DpFnSeriesProcessorReportQuery registerAsApplication: 'reports'.

AND
WAAdmin register: DpFnSeriesProcessorReportQuery asApplicationAt: 'reports'.
-
At present, I see 'reports' registered in the "Request Handler Browser" launched from the Seaside control panel, but I am unable to get to the pages as noted up in list-item #5.

Any advice or guidance is most welcome!

Thank You!
Cam
PS: Stef, I had drafted a few paragraphs describing our usage/application involving Pharo, but then the guy I asked to review it went on vacation, then I was out of the office, then the financial markets distracted us -- clients first! I have not forgotten, and I still plan to donate, but more later, on a separate thread.

Re: Beginner's question / zinc w/ seaside...

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hi Cameron,

On 07 Jun 2012, at 20:09, Cameron Sanders wrote:

> Can someone please point me to the documentation on how to register my apps when using Zinc & Seaside? And/or advise me on how to proceed. Thanks in advance.
>
> 1. I started with a clean Pharo-1.4. I pulled in Seaside, and some of my class DpFnSeriesProcessorReportQuery.
>
> 2. Then I manually started Zinc via ZnServer vi "ZnServer startDefaultOn: 8080".
>
> Opening  a browser gave me the default Zinc page(s).
>
> 3. Later (after struggling to get my app registered) I spotted the Seaside Control Panel on the menu, I did a "ZnServer shutDown". Followed by opened the Seaside control panel.
>
> 4. In the Seaside control panel I added the Zinc Adaptor, and clicked the "Start" button.
>
> Opening a browser gave me the familiar Seaside intro/config pages. But minutes later... it was back to the Zinc default pages.  [Perhaps I had another pharo-seaside image running ... and didn't notice??]
>
> 5. I stopped & started the server through the Seaside control panel, but I still get the zinc pages.

The main Zn documentation can be found at

        http://zn.stfx.eu

more specifically

        http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/zinc-http-components-paper.html

and

        http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/zn-talk-pharo-conference.pdf

Your issue is that you are confusing/mixing two things: a plain ZnServer and ZnZincSeasideAdaptor.

If you are a regular Seaside user, there is no need to start a low level ZnServer.
Use the Seaside control panel to start a ZnZincSeasideAdaptor (which will automatically start and manage a ZnServer behind the scenes).
Or do it programmatically, as any Seaside adaptor:

        ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.

Your point 5 is because you started the default ZnServer which is registered/managed automatically.
You only did a shutDown, not a stop. After an image save it will automagically come up again. You can get rid of it by doing

        ZnServer stopDefault.

All this is in the documentation.

HTH,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Beginner's question / zinc w/ seaside...

Cameron Sanders
Sven,
Thanks You!

Now I have done the "ZnServer stopDefault" followed by Stop and Start of the Seaside, and now I see the Seaside pages.

-Cam