Beginner's questions

Edouard Klein
Hi all,

I tried to build my first user interface with Pharo. I ran into some
problems, I have a bunch of questions. These are certainly quite simple
to answer for any veteran... If any of you could so kind as to not only
answer them but also to tell me where I sould have looked for the
answer, this would be awesome.

I used Pharo By Example as well as the pharocasts and the occasional
google search to find info.

My code can be found at : http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MakeMeASandwich.html

- I build the UI by hand, this is tiresome. Is there a GUI UI builder ?
I found Morphic designer
(https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/designer)
and UIBuilder
(http://forum.world.st/CLFramework-UIBuilder-td1302485.html) but it is
unclear if any or both are the Right Way (tm) of doing things with Pharo.

- As you can see if you do RecipeEditor new open, there is a lot of
wasted space. Lists do not expand to take all the vertical space they
could. What is the workaround for that ?

- I have a list created by :
nodeList := ListModel new list: SortedCollection new.
put on screen by :
builder newListFor: self list: #nodeList selected: #selectedNodeIndex
changeSelected: #selectNodeAtIndex: help: 'Liste des étapes'.
and I use :
  nodeList  list at: (nodeList  selectionIndex)
  on the press of a button to get the selected element of a list. I
would like this list to allow for multiple selection, and I would like
to get the list of selected elements. I tried to fool around with some
methods having "multiple" in their name, but to no avail.

- The text fields require the user to accept (command-S) the
modification before I can get the content with getText. Is there a good
way to get the non accepted text ?

I tried to to an UI with tk before, and compared to that it has been a
breeze with Smalltalk, the way one can write the highest level call and
then use the debugger to create methods and variables on the fly is very
enjoyable.

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,

Edouard.

Re: Beginner's questions

Stéphane Ducasse

On May 13, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Edouard Klein wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried to build my first user interface with Pharo. I ran into some problems, I have a bunch of questions. These are certainly quite simple to answer for any veteran... If any of you could so kind as to not only answer them but also to tell me where I sould have looked for the answer, this would be awesome.
>
> I used Pharo By Example as well as the pharocasts and the occasional google search to find info.
>
> My code can be found at : http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MakeMeASandwich.html
>
> - I build the UI by hand, this is tiresome. Is there a GUI UI builder ? I found Morphic designer (https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/designer) and UIBuilder (http://forum.world.st/CLFramework-UIBuilder-td1302485.html) but it is unclear if any or both are the Right Way (tm) of doing things with Pharo.

So far there is not easy solution. We are working on Spec but we should stabilize it first.

Did you check UITheme examples?

> - As you can see if you do RecipeEditor new open, there is a lot of wasted space. Lists do not expand to take all the vertical space they could. What is the workaround for that ?
>
> - I have a list created by :
> nodeList := ListModel new list: SortedCollection new.
> put on screen by :
> builder newListFor: self list: #nodeList selected: #selectedNodeIndex changeSelected: #selectNodeAtIndex: help: 'Liste des étapes'.
> and I use :
> nodeList  list at: (nodeList  selectionIndex)
> on the press of a button to get the selected element of a list. I would like this list to allow for multiple selection, and I would like to get the list of selected elements. I tried to fool around with some methods having "multiple" in their name, but to no avail.

may be ben will be able to help you.

> - The text fields require the user to accept (command-S) the modification before I can get the content with getText. Is there a good way to get the non accepted text ?
>

> I tried to to an UI with tk before, and compared to that it has been a breeze with Smalltalk, the way one can write the highest level call and then use the debugger to create methods and variables on the fly is very enjoyable.

We really have to improve because I'm not satisfied with the current state but we want to get it right.

> Thank you in advance,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Edouard.

Re: Beginner's questions

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)

On May 13, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On May 13, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Edouard Klein wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried to build my first user interface with Pharo. I ran into some problems, I have a bunch of questions. These are certainly quite simple to answer for any veteran... If any of you could so kind as to not only answer them but also to tell me where I sould have looked for the answer, this would be awesome.
>>
>> I used Pharo By Example as well as the pharocasts and the occasional google search to find info.
>>
>> My code can be found at : http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MakeMeASandwich.html
>>
>> - I build the UI by hand, this is tiresome. Is there a GUI UI builder ? I found Morphic designer (https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/designer) and UIBuilder (http://forum.world.st/CLFramework-UIBuilder-td1302485.html) but it is unclear if any or both are the Right Way (tm) of doing things with Pharo.
>
> So far there is not easy solution. We are working on Spec but we should stabilize it first.
>
> Did you check UITheme examples?
>
>> - As you can see if you do RecipeEditor new open, there is a lot of wasted space. Lists do not expand to take all the vertical space they could. What is the workaround for that ?
>>
>> - I have a list created by :
>> nodeList := ListModel new list: SortedCollection new.
>> put on screen by :
>> builder newListFor: self list: #nodeList selected: #selectedNodeIndex changeSelected: #selectNodeAtIndex: help: 'Liste des étapes'.
>> and I use :
>> nodeList  list at: (nodeList  selectionIndex)
>> on the press of a button to get the selected element of a list. I would like this list to allow for multiple selection, and I would like to get the list of selected elements. I tried to fool around with some methods having "multiple" in their name, but to no avail.
>
> may be ben will be able to help you.

I have actually never played with ListModel :s
But if you wanna play a bit with the morphs directly, I can help you (or if you want to experiment Spec ;) )

Sorry again, but have fun still,

Ben

>> - The text fields require the user to accept (command-S) the modification before I can get the content with getText. Is there a good way to get the non accepted text ?
>>

>> I tried to to an UI with tk before, and compared to that it has been a breeze with Smalltalk, the way one can write the highest level call and then use the debugger to create methods and variables on the fly is very enjoyable.
>
> We really have to improve because I'm not satisfied with the current state but we want to get it right.
>>
>> Thank you in advance,
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Edouard.

Re: Beginner's questions

Edouard Klein
Le 13/05/12 14:33, Benjamin a écrit :

> On May 13, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On May 13, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Edouard Klein wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I tried to build my first user interface with Pharo. I ran into some problems, I have a bunch of questions. These are certainly quite simple to answer for any veteran... If any of you could so kind as to not only answer them but also to tell me where I sould have looked for the answer, this would be awesome.
>>>
>>> I used Pharo By Example as well as the pharocasts and the occasional google search to find info.
>>>
>>> My code can be found at : http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MakeMeASandwich.html
>>>
>>> - I build the UI by hand, this is tiresome. Is there a GUI UI builder ? I found Morphic designer (https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/designer) and UIBuilder (http://forum.world.st/CLFramework-UIBuilder-td1302485.html) but it is unclear if any or both are the Right Way (tm) of doing things with Pharo.
>>
>> So far there is not easy solution. We are working on Spec but we should stabilize it first.
>>
>> Did you check UITheme examples?
>>
>>> - As you can see if you do RecipeEditor new open, there is a lot of wasted space. Lists do not expand to take all the vertical space they could. What is the workaround for that ?
>>>
>>> - I have a list created by :
>>> nodeList := ListModel new list: SortedCollection new.
>>> put on screen by :
>>> builder newListFor: self list: #nodeList selected: #selectedNodeIndex changeSelected: #selectNodeAtIndex: help: 'Liste des étapes'.
>>> and I use :
>>> nodeList  list at: (nodeList  selectionIndex)
>>> on the press of a button to get the selected element of a list. I would like this list to allow for multiple selection, and I would like to get the list of selected elements. I tried to fool around with some methods having "multiple" in their name, but to no avail.
>>
>> may be ben will be able to help you.
>
> I have actually never played with ListModel :s
> But if you wanna play a bit with the morphs directly, I can help you (or if you want to experiment Spec ;) )

I would like to experiment Spec, but I am unable to install it. Shall I
use Paro 2.0 ? (Currently using 1.4). I am not sure I tried the right
methods. What should I do from a clean brand new image to install it ?

On May 13, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Edouard Klein wrote:

> Le 13/05/12 14:33, Benjamin a écrit :

>>> So far there is not easy solution. We are working on Spec but we should stabilize it first.
>>>
>>> Did you check UITheme examples?

>>> may be ben will be able to help you.
>>
>> I have actually never played with ListModel :s
>> But if you wanna play a bit with the morphs directly, I can help you (or if you want to experiment Spec ;) )
>

> I would like to experiment Spec, but I am unable to install it. Shall I use Paro 2.0 ? (Currently using 1.4). I am not sure I tried the right methods. What should I do from a clean brand new image to install it ?

Gofer new
        url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfSpec';
        load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSpec) perform: #loadFull

It works in 1.4 and in 2.0.
Then you could have a look at the category named Spec-Examples :)

If you want I have a really out dated doc, but I do not think it useful anymore (but I will rewrite it soon).

And if you have questions, I will be glad to answer :)

Ben

>> Sorry again, but have fun still,
>>
>> Ben

>>> We really have to improve because I'm not satisfied with the current state but we want to get it right.

Re: Beginner's questions

Edouard Klein
Thank you, I was able to install Spec on 1.4. I have seen the example
with the multiple selection list. I will try to solve my problems by
using Spec, and I sure will bother you if I run into problems ;)

Cheers,

Edouard.

Le 13/05/12 15:18, Benjamin a écrit :

> On May 13, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Edouard Klein wrote:

>>> I have actually never played with ListModel :s
>>> But if you wanna play a bit with the morphs directly, I can help you (or if you want to experiment Spec ;) )
>>

>> I would like to experiment Spec, but I am unable to install it. Shall I use Paro 2.0 ? (Currently using 1.4). I am not sure I tried the right methods. What should I do from a clean brand new image to install it ?

> Gofer new
> url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Spec';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfSpec';
> load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSpec) perform: #loadFull

> It works in 1.4 and in 2.0.
> Then you could have a look at the category named Spec-Examples :)
>
> If you want I have a really out dated doc, but I do not think it useful anymore (but I will rewrite it soon).
>
> And if you have questions, I will be glad to answer :)
>
> Ben
>

>>> Sorry again, but have fun still,
>>>
>>> Ben

Re: Beginner's questions

hernanmd
Have you evaluated a more mature Smalltalk for UI building? There is VisualWorks, Dolphin, etc.
Believe it or not, Smalltalk has possibly the oldest UI programming environment... and still no cross-ST open source UI builder, isn't amazing?

Cheers,

Hernán

2012/5/13 Edouard Klein <[hidden email]>
[...]

Thank you, I have read it, and I believe I understood the concepts. I
will try it soon and get back to you afterwards.