Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

1234 ... 9

Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

horrido
Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk
<https://medium.com/smalltalk-talk/behold-pharo-the-modern-smalltalk-38e132c46053>

If you would like to suggest some edits, I'm all ears. Anything to improve
the impact of the article.

Thanks.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

askoh
Administrator
Very nice. Thanks.

Aik-Siong Koh

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Denis Kudriashov
Hi

As you mentioned IoT part it would be nice to add link to PharoThings project https://github.com/pharo-iot/PharoThings.

Thanks.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

hernanmd
Hi Richard,

I would change the link text where machine learning refers to
BioSmalltalk. Actually it is more a library for Bioinformatics.
Cheers,

Hernán

> Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk
> <https://medium.com/smalltalk-talk/behold-pharo-the-modern-smalltalk-38e132c46053>
>
> If you would like to suggest some edits, I'm all ears. Anything to improve
> the impact of the article.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
What I like most about this article is the comparisons with common
trends (Pharo is to Smalltalk like Clojure is to Lisp) that bridge the
gap between audiences. I would add some link to Cuis Smalltalk in the
mention of the Smalltalk families, because of its minimalist approach.
Also, may be you can add some mention to Grafoscopio [1] to complement
the link about medicine data visualization. That link is getting old,
but Grafoscopio community is moving and making other new project on data
activism, visualization and storytelling, with more links to deep in
(and upcoming news soon).

[1] http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/index.en.html

Thanks,

Offray

On 04/10/17 05:30, horrido wrote:

> Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk
> <https://medium.com/smalltalk-talk/behold-pharo-the-modern-smalltalk-38e132c46053>
>
> If you would like to suggest some edits, I'm all ears. Anything to improve
> the impact of the article.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Ben Coman
Nice article. I like the way you've structured it and pushed the "updated" angle.

I feel a bit too strong a claim is laid on Pharo producing the CogVM.  Much of the Cog + Spur + 64bit VM work was originally done for Squeak with Pharo riding the coat-tails of that work.  Lately Pharo community has been involved in improving VM with hotspot optimisation with Sista and moving towards making Pharo embeddable.. (@Clement, is "hotspot optimsation" fair as a short tagline for inter-language comparison?)

So maybe say "the Pharo project has been involved in producing: ...
    * the 64-bit Spur/Cog VM (used also by Squeak, Cuis and Newspeak)
    * hotspot optimisation with Sista
    * working towards embedding Pharo as a game scripting language"  (not sure on that last one)

cheers -ben

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 6:30 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk
<https://medium.com/smalltalk-talk/behold-pharo-the-modern-smalltalk-38e132c46053>

If you would like to suggest some edits, I'm all ears. Anything to improve
the impact of the article.

Thanks.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

horrido
Yes, the "updated" angle was the crucial tactic. Thanks.

I just wanted to inform you that in just 48 hours since publication, this
article has gathered over 11,000 views! This is a new record for me. Fastest
rising.

I am astounded by the number; I really didn't expect it. It's a very, very
nice way to end my campaign on a high note. Hopefully, Pharo (and Smalltalk)
will become more popular.

Cheers.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Cool! Waiting for the updated version with this mailing list feedback on it.

Cheers,

Offray

On 05/10/17 19:35, horrido wrote:

> Yes, the "updated" angle was the crucial tactic. Thanks.
>
> I just wanted to inform you that in just 48 hours since publication, this
> article has gathered over 11,000 views! This is a new record for me. Fastest
> rising.
>
> I am astounded by the number; I really didn't expect it. It's a very, very
> nice way to end my campaign on a high note. Hopefully, Pharo (and Smalltalk)
> will become more popular.
>
> Cheers.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks I think that this is really nice.
Thanks for your time.

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 2:42 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool! Waiting for the updated version with this mailing list feedback on it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>

> On 05/10/17 19:35, horrido wrote:
>> Yes, the "updated" angle was the crucial tactic. Thanks.
>>
>> I just wanted to inform you that in just 48 hours since publication, this
>> article has gathered over 11,000 views! This is a new record for me. Fastest
>> rising.
>>
>> I am astounded by the number; I really didn't expect it. It's a very, very
>> nice way to end my campaign on a high note. Hopefully, Pharo (and Smalltalk)
>> will become more popular.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

horrido
I've incorporated some of the suggestions. Thanks.

Here's a very lively discussion at Hacker News:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15399442

The article has sparked a raging debate. Hacker News readers seem to really
like the article, as it has garnered 150 points, /more than any other
article that I've ever posted!/

(Even  my original TechBeacon article
<https://techbeacon.com/how-learning-smalltalk-can-make-you-better-developer>
-- which launched my campaign! -- only got 115 points.)

You should all participate in the discussion and help to dispel the many
misconceptions people have about Pharo/Smalltalk. I find a great deal of
ignorance out there, and *only you folks* can address it properly.

Thanks.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

horrido
I received this comment from someone who complained:

*What about the lack of documentation? From time to time I’ve checked some
SmallTalk implementations like Squeak, GNU-Smalltalk and now Pharo. Of
these, only GNU-SmallTalk appears to have a free, official programming guide
and core library reference that any serious programmer expects from a
language.

https://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual-base/html_node/*

I pointed to Pharo's documentation but then he came back with:

*Then show me a link of the free, maintained reference documentation for the
classes that form “the core library”, like this one for Python
(https://docs.python.org/3/library/index.html)*

It's true, most Smalltalks do not have a core library reference, not even
VisualWorks! So what is the proper response to this complaint?

Thanks.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Richard Sargent
Administrator
"It's Smalltalk. Read the code, Luke."?

On Oct 6, 2017 08:55, "horrido" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 6 Oct 2017, at 14:54, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I received this comment from someone who complained:
>
> *What about the lack of documentation? From time to time I’ve checked some
> SmallTalk implementations like Squeak, GNU-Smalltalk and now Pharo. Of
> these, only GNU-SmallTalk appears to have a free, official programming guide
> and core library reference that any serious programmer expects from a
> language.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual-base/html_node/*
>
> I pointed to Pharo's documentation but then he came back with:
>
> *Then show me a link of the free, maintained reference documentation for the
> classes that form “the core library”, like this one for Python
> (https://docs.python.org/3/library/index.html)*
>
> It's true, most Smalltalks do not have a core library reference, not even
> VisualWorks! So what is the proper response to this complaint?

The first answer is that Pharo/Smalltalk is unique in that a running system/IDE contains _all_ source code, _all_ documentation (class, method, help, tutorial), _all_ unit tests and _all_ runnable examples in a very easy, accessible way. It takes some getting used to, but this is actually better and much more powerful than any alternative.

The second answer is that there are lots of books and articles that take the classic/structured book/paper approach. There is http://books.pharo.org, http://themoosebook.org, http://book.seaside.st/book, http://medium.com/concerning-pharo and many more.

> Thanks.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

horrido
Thanks. I gave your answer verbatim. I also added the following paragraph:

The problem I find with today’s developers is that they are rather
closed-minded. They are rigid and inflexible, and not willing to adapt to
new and different ways of doing things. In my generation (circa 1980–1990),
people didn’t have a problem with trying different technologies. That’s why
I had no issue with learning Smalltalk 10 years ago, after I had retired
from a 20-year-long career in C systems programming and FORTRAN scientific
programming.

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> On 6 Oct 2017, at 14:54, horrido &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> I received this comment from someone who complained:
>>
>> *What about the lack of documentation? From time to time I’ve checked
>> some
>> SmallTalk implementations like Squeak, GNU-Smalltalk and now Pharo. Of
>> these, only GNU-SmallTalk appears to have a free, official programming
>> guide
>> and core library reference that any serious programmer expects from a
>> language.
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual-base/html_node/*
>>
>> I pointed to Pharo's documentation but then he came back with:
>>
>> *Then show me a link of the free, maintained reference documentation for
>> the
>> classes that form “the core library”, like this one for Python
>> (https://docs.python.org/3/library/index.html)*
>>
>> It's true, most Smalltalks do not have a core library reference, not even
>> VisualWorks! So what is the proper response to this complaint?
>
> The first answer is that Pharo/Smalltalk is unique in that a running
> system/IDE contains _all_ source code, _all_ documentation (class, method,
> help, tutorial), _all_ unit tests and _all_ runnable examples in a very
> easy, accessible way. It takes some getting used to, but this is actually
> better and much more powerful than any alternative.
>
> The second answer is that there are lots of books and articles that take
> the classic/structured book/paper approach. There is
> http://books.pharo.org, http://themoosebook.org,
> http://book.seaside.st/book, http://medium.com/concerning-pharo and many
> more.
>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Ben Coman
I saw this comment, and wonder if we might have an intro video (or cartoon) of how to run the ProfStef tutorial in the first few minutes of opening your first image.

> They need to work on the presentation. How do you get started ? How does the code look like ? etc. Not just "download this program and buy this book"
reply

yes, time, resources, someoneHasToDoIt all apply.
just a random thought,
cheers -ben

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 9:47 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I gave your answer verbatim. I also added the following paragraph:

The problem I find with today’s developers is that they are rather
closed-minded. They are rigid and inflexible, and not willing to adapt to
new and different ways of doing things. In my generation (circa 1980–1990),
people didn’t have a problem with trying different technologies. That’s why
I had no issue with learning Smalltalk 10 years ago, after I had retired
from a 20-year-long career in C systems programming and FORTRAN scientific
programming.

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> On 6 Oct 2017, at 14:54, horrido &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> I received this comment from someone who complained:
>>
>> *What about the lack of documentation? From time to time I’ve checked
>> some
>> SmallTalk implementations like Squeak, GNU-Smalltalk and now Pharo. Of
>> these, only GNU-SmallTalk appears to have a free, official programming
>> guide
>> and core library reference that any serious programmer expects from a
>> language.
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual-base/html_node/*
>>
>> I pointed to Pharo's documentation but then he came back with:
>>
>> *Then show me a link of the free, maintained reference documentation for
>> the
>> classes that form “the core library”, like this one for Python
>> (https://docs.python.org/3/library/index.html)*
>>
>> It's true, most Smalltalks do not have a core library reference, not even
>> VisualWorks! So what is the proper response to this complaint?
>
> The first answer is that Pharo/Smalltalk is unique in that a running
> system/IDE contains _all_ source code, _all_ documentation (class, method,
> help, tutorial), _all_ unit tests and _all_ runnable examples in a very
> easy, accessible way. It takes some getting used to, but this is actually
> better and much more powerful than any alternative.
>
> The second answer is that there are lots of books and articles that take
> the classic/structured book/paper approach. There is
> http://books.pharo.org, http://themoosebook.org,
> http://book.seaside.st/book, http://medium.com/concerning-pharo and many
> more.
>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Stephane Ducasse-3
This is fun because I was thinking that we should add to the main page
a videos of the counter coding in the debugger
and GTInspector.

We have the mooc videos showing ProfStef so we have nearly everything
we need and now they are available (should upload them with english
voice).
Stef

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I saw this comment, and wonder if we might have an intro video (or cartoon)
> of how to run the ProfStef tutorial in the first few minutes of opening your
> first image.
>
>> They need to work on the presentation. How do you get started ? How does
>> the code look like ? etc. Not just "download this program and buy this book"
> reply
>
> yes, time, resources, someoneHasToDoIt all apply.
> just a random thought,
> cheers -ben
>
> On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 9:47 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks. I gave your answer verbatim. I also added the following paragraph:
>>
>> The problem I find with today’s developers is that they are rather
>> closed-minded. They are rigid and inflexible, and not willing to adapt to
>> new and different ways of doing things. In my generation (circa
>> 1980–1990),
>> people didn’t have a problem with trying different technologies. That’s
>> why
>> I had no issue with learning Smalltalk 10 years ago, after I had retired
>> from a 20-year-long career in C systems programming and FORTRAN scientific
>> programming.
>>

>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>
>> > horrido.hobbies@

>> > The first answer is that Pharo/Smalltalk is unique in that a running
>> > system/IDE contains _all_ source code, _all_ documentation (class,
>> > method,
>> > help, tutorial), _all_ unit tests and _all_ runnable examples in a very
>> > easy, accessible way. It takes some getting used to, but this is
>> > actually
>> > better and much more powerful than any alternative.
>> >
>> > The second answer is that there are lots of books and articles that take
>> > the classic/structured book/paper approach. There is
>> > http://books.pharo.org, http://themoosebook.org,
>> > http://book.seaside.st/book, http://medium.com/concerning-pharo and many
>> > more.

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

HilaireFernandes
I think Laurent wrote something to export classes and documentation as
html form to let user browse it.

I have not idea where it is though.

Hilaire

Le 06/10/2017 à 14:54, horrido a écrit :
> *Then show me a link of the free, maintained reference documentation for the
> classes that form “the core library”, like this one for Python
> (https://docs.python.org/3/library/index.html)*

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Maybe this [1] or this [2] (the two might be the same thing)

1. http://forum.world.st/Online-Pharo-Documentation-tp3468690.html
2. http://forum.world.st/webdoc-tt3654967.html

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 6 Oct 2017, at 19:57, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Maybe this [1] or this [2] (the two might be the same thing)
>
> 1. http://forum.world.st/Online-Pharo-Documentation-tp3468690.html
> 2. http://forum.world.st/webdoc-tt3654967.html

http://files.pharo.org/doc/4.0/#classList=package/Kernel.html&packageList=package.html&classView=welcome.html

This is only up to Pharo 4.

But the point remains, given an image and all our tools, why go to the web.

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Stephane Ducasse-3
To get dead objects while we have them live :)