Best Pracise Patterns - what did I miss?

Best Pracise Patterns - what did I miss?

Günther Schmidt
Hi,

I've just finished reading Kent Becks "Best Practise Patterns" for the
first time, but the big revelation I had hoped for didn't happened.

Some of the things in that book seemed rather obvious to me.

What did I miss?

Günther

Re: Best Pracise Patterns - what did I miss?

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
Günther Schmidt escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I've just finished reading Kent Becks "Best Practise Patterns" for the
> first time, but the big revelation I had hoped for didn't happened.

I've been there.

> Some of the things in that book seemed rather obvious to me.

> What did I miss?

Probably nothing, considering what you say (and not knowing exactly
what you learn).

A pattern is just that, a perception of repetitive "something".
The patterns emerge when they're recognized, they're not "invented".

The practical use of patterns is the syntesis of concepts in one or
few words. When I say you "I've implemented it using a singleton",
it's enough.

To my opinion the only useful thing in the patterns is that.
The unicity of concept it represents, when you want to explain or
talk about something you do or are planning to.

Or... if you found a pattern in what you're doing, you can "READ"
it's description/definition to, perhaps, know if your going to the
same place.

But as stated above, the pattern emerges, you do not build taking it
as a rule. But, because it is a pattern, is common that you use them
several times, an your colleagues too.

Best regards.

--
Esteban A. Maringolo

Esteban A. Maringolo schrieb:
> Günther Schmidt escribió:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just finished reading Kent Becks "Best Practise Patterns" for the
>> first time, but the big revelation I had hoped for didn't happened.
>

> I've been there.

Donde estas ahora?
Esteban, do you mean to say that by now you managed to become "more
advanced"? If so please tell me how, because I for sure don't know how
to get there.
When I started with Smalltalk it was difficult enough to find literature
/ Websites where you could acquire just the basics, but finding books
that will teach you some advanced stuff is even harder. I mean there's
fragments of information all over the place but I haven't yet found a
compilation. I've recently ordered the "The Design Patterns Smalltalk
Companion" and "SmallTalk, Objects, and Design" from Amazon, they'll be
here in a couple of days, and I hope they'll give me more clues.

Do you have any hints for me?

Günther