Best method for connecting to an Oracle 11g database

Best method for connecting to an Oracle 11g database

aaron.blakeman
Hello,

I'm trying to use Pharo 6 to connect to an Oracle 11g database.  I tried using dbxtalk with the opendbx driver, but I can't seem to get that to load cleanly into a Pharo 6 image.

Before I spend alot of time trying to debug DBXtalk I wanted to see if anyone else had any recommendations.  Is there currently any better method for connecting from Pharo 6 to an Oracle database?

Thanks!

Re: Best method for connecting to an Oracle 11g database

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Arron

Did you try Garage from https://github.com/pharo-rdbms

Stef

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 7:22 AM, Aaron Blakeman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use Pharo 6 to connect to an Oracle 11g database.  I tried
> using dbxtalk with the opendbx driver, but I can't seem to get that to load
> cleanly into a Pharo 6 image.
>
> Before I spend alot of time trying to debug DBXtalk I wanted to see if
> anyone else had any recommendations.  Is there currently any better method
> for connecting from Pharo 6 to an Oracle database?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Best method for connecting to an Oracle 11g database

Esteban A. Maringolo
At the time my company tested Pharo to access Oracle databases, the
OpenDBX driver support was lousy and it was hard to make it work in
Windows. Also Garage isn't tested against it.

So our resolution was that Oracle isn't supported by any driver for
Pharo unless you are in Windows and can use ODBC to access it (and I
don't know the current ODBC driver status for recent Pharo versions).

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Best method for connecting to an Oracle 11g database

aaron.blakeman

I was trying garage, but I was using the instructions for installation from here: https://guillep.github.io/DBXTalk/garage/installation.html

I was able to load garage from https://github.com/pharo-rdbms, but the method described at https://guillep.github.io/DBXTalk/garage/installation.html for loading the opendbx drivers don't appear to work.  I'll play around with it a bit more.

Thanks!
Aaron