Beta releases for D6?

Sean Malloy-2
Andy, Blair,

Is there any plan at all to release beta versions of D6? Perhaps people who
want to upgrade, can spend the money early, get access to betas and provide
feedback? I'm ok with the possibility of a beta hosing my system. I'm
betting there are a number of people who would share my attitude.

I know you have plans to change the Dolphin revenue scheme to subscription
based + lump-sum payment methods. will you be getting that up and running
before D6 is ready, allowing people to upgrade, and join some sort of early
access program, or will it be something to occurr after an initial release?

The archives seem to imply that access to betas would occurr only to buyers
who go on the monthly/yearly subscription plan. Thats fine, my question is
more "Will the subscription option be available before an initial RTM
version"

Re: Beta releases for D6?

Blair McGlashan-3
"Sean Malloy" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Andy, Blair,
>
> Is there any plan at all to release beta versions of D6? Perhaps people
who
> want to upgrade, can spend the money early, get access to betas and
provide
> feedback? I'm ok with the possibility of a beta hosing my system. I'm
> betting there are a number of people who would share my attitude.
>
> I know you have plans to change the Dolphin revenue scheme to subscription
> based + lump-sum payment methods. will you be getting that up and running
> before D6 is ready, allowing people to upgrade, and join some sort of
early
> access program, or will it be something to occurr after an initial
release?

> The archives seem to imply that access to betas would occurr only to
buyers
> who go on the monthly/yearly subscription plan. Thats fine, my question is
> more "Will the subscription option be available before an initial RTM
> version"

There will be a beta version. It is likely that the subscription plan will
be introduced before or at the same time. Those on the subscription plan
will be eligible to receive any and all releases, including betas. We may
also invite other participants as we have done in the past.

Regards

Blair

Re: Beta releases for D6?

talios@gmail.com
Blair McGlashan wrote:

> There will be a beta version. It is likely that the subscription plan will
> be introduced before or at the same time. Those on the subscription plan
> will be eligible to receive any and all releases, including betas. We may
> also invite other participants as we have done in the past.

Any idea when this will be out?  I just downloaded the trial of 5.1 and
liking what I've seen so far, but if theres a new version just around
the corner...

Re: Beta releases for D6?

Sean Malloy-2
> Any idea when this will be out?  I just downloaded the trial of 5.1 and
> liking what I've seen so far, but if theres a new version just around
> the corner...

Hey Mark,

The word from the top is, if you buy Dolphin 5.1 now, you get the upgrade to
Dolphin 6 for only the difference in price.

IE: D5 is $349.95. If D6 is released at $399.95, then you only have to pay
$50 to get the upgrade.

So there is no reason to hold off on buying it :)

Regards,

Sean

Re: Beta releases for D6?

talios@gmail.com
Sean Malloy wrote:

> So there is no reason to hold off on buying it :)

Other than the fact that other than me, no one here even really knows
what Smalltalk is ;p

I'm just trying it to see if it does what I actually want/need.  I
havn't look at how it does its visual/gui stuff yet.

At the moment I'm looking at the Spray webservices package, trying to
work out how to get it working with HTTP AUTH :(