[BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

1234

[BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks.  This is 1.0 RC2. Please, look at this image in a nice way because it is very likely that if there is no big issue, it will be 1.0 official. We need to release 1.0.

Issues fixed
:  In addition to the fixes from the PharoCore, we have: 1033, 1182, 1826, 1862.

Big changes:

- Now we use OB from Lukas Renggli repository and we have ALL TESTS GREEN!!!     Thanks Lukas!
- O2 loads again in the image without breaking OB. Read the workspace to see how to install it. Thanks David and Alexandre!
- We have almost (only one failing here) ALL TESTS of the PharoDev image in green. They are more than 8800.

Smaller changes:

- Fixed the problem with Metacello and OCompletion. No more overrides.
- System -> About now shows the real Pharo name, not the core. I am also being "compatible" with the new SystemVersion that we have in 1.1  :)   Thanks Michael and Miguel!
- I didn't left again my proxy settings. I fixed this in my build scripts. It should be clean  :)
- Mercury bar is back again. If you want to disable:  Preferences disable: #mercuryPanel.
- Added a lot of cleanups after creating the image, including condensing .changes
- Added Refactoring-Spelling again.   Thanks Stan!
- I wrote a ConfigurationOfNile instead of Nile-All and depends on Monticello dependencies.
- New welcome workspaces. Also getting started workspace and another workspace explaining how to load external packages like Seaside (2.8 and 3), Magritte, Pier, Moose, GetTools, O2, etc. Finally it is also added a link to the new ProfStef :)
Do you think that with this we are able to close issue1479 ?
- Background with Pharo picture. This was a joke. It looked nice :)    I promise I don't put it again if you don't like. To remove it evaluate:
World color: Color white.
- Enable the preference fastDragWindowForMorphic. Sorry, but it most computers this works REALLY slow. If you want them back, just disable it.
- When installing Seaside now doesn't ask for user and password ( admin/seaside ). In addition, the Seaside Control Panel is only isntalled if OB is installed. This means that yu can install it in core or dev. Thanks Dale!
- Disable of System Update for Dev images as it is not working properly.

The link is:  https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25397/Pharo1.0-10508-rc2dev10.01.2.zip

Cheers

Mariano

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Lukas Renggli
> - Background with Pharo picture. This was a joke. It looked nice :)    I
> promise I don't put it again if you don't like. To remove it evaluate:
> World color: Color white.

I was shocked when I read this, but actually it looks pretty cool. The
only problem is that my screen is too large. Could a single instance
be aligned in the top middle of the screen?

I like the image. I just loaded some of the extra packages and that
works really great.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - Background with Pharo picture. This was a joke. It looked nice :)    I
> promise I don't put it again if you don't like. To remove it evaluate:
> World color: Color white.

I was shocked when I read this, but actually it looks pretty cool.

hahahahah thanks :)  Actually, I did it for my own image, but then I like it and wanted to show you :)

The
only problem is that my screen is too large.

That cannot be a problem ;)

Could a single instance
be aligned in the top middle of the screen?

Lukas, I really don't understand the problem when you have a bigger screen. Is the picture cut ? do you have an screenshot ?

I like the image. I just loaded some of the extra packages and that
works really great.

Cool! Thanks.

Mariano

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Lukas Renggli
>> Could a single instance
>> be aligned in the top middle of the screen?
>
> Lukas, I really don't understand the problem when you have a bigger screen.
> Is the picture cut ? do you have an screenshot ?

It is a minor problem, but I couldn't find another one (hahahahhaha)

The image just repeats in a not so nice way. I think it would look
better if the rest of the screen was white.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

background.png (57K) Download Attachment

2010/1/22 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
>> Could a single instance
>> be aligned in the top middle of the screen?
>
> Lukas, I really don't understand the problem when you have a bigger screen.
> Is the picture cut ? do you have an screenshot ?

It is a minor problem, but I couldn't find another one (hahahahhaha)

This is a good news then :)  Hope everyone has this kind of problems hahaha

The image just repeats in a not so nice way. I think it would look
better if the rest of the screen was white.

ok...now I understand....that's because I don't have a screen! hahaha
I have no idea how we can solve this :(    Maybe some Morphic guru can help us.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Tudor Girba
Hi Mariano,

Nice work.

Moose loads and works as expected. I also loaded O2 without problems.

Cheers,
Doru

On 22 Jan 2010, at 15:32, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks.  This is 1.0 RC2. Please, look at this image in a nice way
> because it is very likely that if there is no big issue, it will be
> 1.0 official. We need to release 1.0.
>
> Issues fixed:  In addition to the fixes from the PharoCore, we have:
> 1033, 1182, 1826, 1862.
>
> Big changes:
>
> - Now we use OB from Lukas Renggli repository and we have ALL TESTS
> GREEN!!!     Thanks Lukas!
> - O2 loads again in the image without breaking OB. Read the
> workspace to see how to install it. Thanks David and Alexandre!
> - We have almost (only one failing here) ALL TESTS of the PharoDev
> image in green. They are more than 8800.
>
> Smaller changes:
>
> - Fixed the problem with Metacello and OCompletion. No more overrides.
> - System -> About now shows the real Pharo name, not the core. I am
> also being "compatible" with the new SystemVersion that we have in
> 1.1  :)   Thanks Michael and Miguel!
> - I didn't left again my proxy settings. I fixed this in my build
> scripts. It should be clean  :)
> - Mercury bar is back again. If you want to disable:  Preferences
> disable: #mercuryPanel.
> - Added a lot of cleanups after creating the image, including
> condensing .changes
> - Added Refactoring-Spelling again.   Thanks Stan!
> - I wrote a ConfigurationOfNile instead of Nile-All and depends on
> Monticello dependencies.
> - New welcome workspaces. Also getting started workspace and another
> workspace explaining how to load external packages like Seaside (2.8
> and 3), Magritte, Pier, Moose, GetTools, O2, etc. Finally it is also
> added a link to the new ProfStef :)
> Do you think that with this we are able to close issue1479 ?
> - Background with Pharo picture. This was a joke. It looked
> nice :)    I promise I don't put it again if you don't like. To
> remove it evaluate:
> World color: Color white.
> - Enable the preference fastDragWindowForMorphic. Sorry, but it most
> computers this works REALLY slow. If you want them back, just
> disable it.
> - When installing Seaside now doesn't ask for user and password
> ( admin/seaside ). In addition, the Seaside Control Panel is only
> isntalled if OB is installed. This means that yu can install it in
> core or dev. Thanks Dale!
> - Disable of System Update for Dev images as it is not working
> properly.
>

> The link is:  https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25397/Pharo1.0-10508-rc2dev10.01.2.zip
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Stefan Marr-4
Hi Mariano:

looks great, but the background picture should be fixed ;) (no repetition and centered please).

First thing I noticed, is that the behavior of the code editor changed.
I am using O2 incase that matters.

Looks like the type assistance is disabled?
Examples are opening parentheses, which are not auto-completed with the closing parentheses.
But also selecting text and typing ( or " does not lead to the old behavior where the selection was surrounded accordingly, but now it is just simply replaced.

How do I get back the old/smarter behavior?

Thanks
Stefan

On 22 Jan 2010, at 15:32, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks.  This is 1.0 RC2. Please, look at this image in a nice way because it is very likely that if there is no big issue, it will be 1.0 official. We need to release 1.0.
>
> Issues fixed:  In addition to the fixes from the PharoCore, we have: 1033, 1182, 1826, 1862.
>
> Big changes:
>
> - Now we use OB from Lukas Renggli repository and we have ALL TESTS GREEN!!!     Thanks Lukas!
> - O2 loads again in the image without breaking OB. Read the workspace to see how to install it. Thanks David and Alexandre!
> - We have almost (only one failing here) ALL TESTS of the PharoDev image in green. They are more than 8800.
>
> Smaller changes:
>
> - Fixed the problem with Metacello and OCompletion. No more overrides.
> - System -> About now shows the real Pharo name, not the core. I am also being "compatible" with the new SystemVersion that we have in 1.1  :)   Thanks Michael and Miguel!
> - I didn't left again my proxy settings. I fixed this in my build scripts. It should be clean  :)
> - Mercury bar is back again. If you want to disable:  Preferences disable: #mercuryPanel.
> - Added a lot of cleanups after creating the image, including condensing .changes
> - Added Refactoring-Spelling again.   Thanks Stan!
> - I wrote a ConfigurationOfNile instead of Nile-All and depends on Monticello dependencies.
> - New welcome workspaces. Also getting started workspace and another workspace explaining how to load external packages like Seaside (2.8 and 3), Magritte, Pier, Moose, GetTools, O2, etc. Finally it is also added a link to the new ProfStef :)
> Do you think that with this we are able to close issue1479 ?
> - Background with Pharo picture. This was a joke. It looked nice :)    I promise I don't put it again if you don't like. To remove it evaluate:
> World color: Color white.
> - Enable the preference fastDragWindowForMorphic. Sorry, but it most computers this works REALLY slow. If you want them back, just disable it.
> - When installing Seaside now doesn't ask for user and password ( admin/seaside ). In addition, the Seaside Control Panel is only isntalled if OB is installed. This means that yu can install it in core or dev. Thanks Dale!
> - Disable of System Update for Dev images as it is not working properly.
>

> The link is:  https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25397/Pharo1.0-10508-rc2dev10.01.2.zip
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 3956
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Stefan Marr-4
Well, and in the whole system, there is no code completion at all.

Neither in the code editor, nor in the search bar...

Very nasty...

Best
Stefan

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano:

looks great, but the background picture should be fixed ;) (no repetition and centered please).

It was just for fun. As this image is for beta-testers, I could give my self this luxury ahahah.  But yes, we need someone that help us with this if we want to keep it.

First thing I noticed, is that the behavior of the code editor changed.
I am using O2 incase that matters.

Yes, I think it matters O2, because in the default dev, everything works. I tried installing O2, and I noticed the same behavior as you.

Looks like the type assistance is disabled?

OCompletion, yes.

Examples are opening parentheses, which are not auto-completed with the closing parentheses.

I think this is Shout, but yes, I noticed too.

But also selecting text and typing ( or " does not lead to the old behavior where the selection was surrounded accordingly, but now it is just simply replaced.

How do I get back the old/smarter behavior?

I copied the code that O2 maintainers give us in their ANN email. But, I looked and I think  the problem is that they are installing the core of O2 as default. But you may want to load a Dev version. To do that, can you try installing O2 in this way and let us know:

    Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
        package:'ConfigurationOfO2';
    load.

    ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfO2) project version: '1.0') load: 'Dev'

Thanks
Stefan

On 22 Jan 2010, at 15:32, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks.  This is 1.0 RC2. Please, look at this image in a nice way because it is very likely that if there is no big issue, it will be 1.0 official. We need to release 1.0.
>
> Issues fixed:  In addition to the fixes from the PharoCore, we have: 1033, 1182, 1826, 1862.
>
> Big changes:
>
> - Now we use OB from Lukas Renggli repository and we have ALL TESTS GREEN!!!     Thanks Lukas!
> - O2 loads again in the image without breaking OB. Read the workspace to see how to install it. Thanks David and Alexandre!
> - We have almost (only one failing here) ALL TESTS of the PharoDev image in green. They are more than 8800.
>
> Smaller changes:
>
> - Fixed the problem with Metacello and OCompletion. No more overrides.
> - System -> About now shows the real Pharo name, not the core. I am also being "compatible" with the new SystemVersion that we have in 1.1  :)   Thanks Michael and Miguel!
> - I didn't left again my proxy settings. I fixed this in my build scripts. It should be clean  :)
> - Mercury bar is back again. If you want to disable:  Preferences disable: #mercuryPanel.
> - Added a lot of cleanups after creating the image, including condensing .changes
> - Added Refactoring-Spelling again.   Thanks Stan!
> - I wrote a ConfigurationOfNile instead of Nile-All and depends on Monticello dependencies.
> - New welcome workspaces. Also getting started workspace and another workspace explaining how to load external packages like Seaside (2.8 and 3), Magritte, Pier, Moose, GetTools, O2, etc. Finally it is also added a link to the new ProfStef :)
> Do you think that with this we are able to close issue1479 ?
> - Background with Pharo picture. This was a joke. It looked nice :)    I promise I don't put it again if you don't like. To remove it evaluate:
> World color: Color white.
> - Enable the preference fastDragWindowForMorphic. Sorry, but it most computers this works REALLY slow. If you want them back, just disable it.
> - When installing Seaside now doesn't ask for user and password ( admin/seaside ). In addition, the Seaside Control Panel is only isntalled if OB is installed. This means that yu can install it in core or dev. Thanks Dale!
> - Disable of System Update for Dev images as it is not working properly.
>

> The link is:  https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25397/Pharo1.0-10508-rc2dev10.01.2.zip
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 3956
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

George Herolyants-3
2010/1/22 Stefan Marr <[hidden email]>:
> Well, and in the whole system, there is no code completion at all.
>
> Neither in the code editor, nor in the search bar...
>
> Very nasty...

Very strange... I've just checked. Code completion works just fine in this RC.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:55 PM, George Herolyants <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/1/22 Stefan Marr <[hidden email]>:
> Well, and in the whole system, there is no code completion at all.
>
> Neither in the code editor, nor in the search bar...
>
> Very nasty...

Very strange... I've just checked. Code completion works just fine in this RC.

But you are using OB, aren't you ?

On 22 Jan 2010, at 16:54, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>     Gofer new
>         squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>         package:'ConfigurationOfO2';
>     load.
>
>     ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfO2) project version: '1.0') load: 'Dev'

That gives me an error:

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 3956
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

PastedGraphic-1.tiff (62K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

laurent laffont
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:55 PM, George Herolyants <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/1/22 Stefan Marr <[hidden email]>:
> Well, and in the whole system, there is no code completion at all.
>
> Neither in the code editor, nor in the search bar...
>
> Very nasty...

Very strange... I've just checked. Code completion works just fine in this RC.

Works here too... (exupery vm, Linux).

Laurent

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I'm very pressed for time right now, but I like the external projects workspace.  I still think that there is way too much code, as all of the work can be done by one method that forms the name of the configuation class and takes (at most) a version string.  The phrase "syntactic sugar" comes to mind - not quite the same thing, essentially so for our purposes.

One question: why do we "need" to release 1.0?  It would be nice, if we are ready, but I would not want to see a sense of urgency replace good judgement - just asking the question.

Bill

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok...there seems to be a problem in the configuration then...

2010/1/22 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
I'm very pressed for time right now, but I like the external projects workspace.  I still think that there is way too much code, as all of the work can be done by one method that forms the name of the configuation class and takes (at most) a version string.  The phrase "syntactic sugar" comes to mind - not quite the same thing, essentially so for our purposes.

Why we don't use Loader ? Still in alpha state ? I like it and it's simple to use.

Laurent

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Stefan Marr-4
Just tried a fresh image, there you get the same error:

 Could not load: OCForO2

2010/1/22 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>

2010/1/22 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
I'm very pressed for time right now, but I like the external projects workspace.  I still think that there is way too much code, as all of the work can be done by one method that forms the name of the configuation class and takes (at most) a version string.  The phrase "syntactic sugar" comes to mind - not quite the same thing, essentially so for our purposes.

Why we don't use Loader ? Still in alpha state ? I like it and it's simple to use.

Because we are not even stable with the current tools. We cannot do all toghether. Please guys, we need to go step by step. Loader is still in development.

Laurent

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/1/22 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
I'm very pressed for time right now, but I like the external projects workspace.  I still think that there is way too much code, as all of the work can be done by one method that forms the name of the configuation class and takes (at most) a version string.  The phrase "syntactic sugar" comes to mind - not quite the same thing, essentially so for our purposes.

One question: why do we "need" to release 1.0?  It would be nice, if we are ready, but I would not want to see a sense of urgency replace good judgement - just asking the question.

There are SEVERAL reasons, but I don't have time to answer correctly. I will let the board to answer, but I will to a summary:

- Because of marketing
- Because to give visibility to outside
- People that are waiting to build stuff because they won't do it until have a "stable release"
- Companies may not move on a propject that doesn't have yet a stable release
- Having two branches requieres time and effort
- We need to progress in 1.1
- Because people won't believe in us anymore. We said that the 1.0 release was going to be one year ago.

If you want to continue this discussion, please open another thread.

Cheers

Mariano

Bill