Beyond animated gif?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I have a growing number of annotated images and thought it would be nice to make a movie out of them.  Following the example of an animated gif, I had a result a LOT faster than I expected, but the quality is really poor.  Maybe setting a palette would help, but I'm wondering if there are other/better ways?  Extra credit goes to any solution that can be driven from within Pharo or at least w/o littering my drive with lots of images, but I'll take what I can get if the quality is right.

images2mpg has been mentioned in a few places, but it is playing hard to get.

Bill

Re: Beyond animated gif?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
mencoder can do the job.  See

    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-images.html

Don't work too hard on getting the list of files to work, at least be warned if you do.  I put the resulting error message into Google and the first link was a patch with a question about where to send it.  Helpful, if not encouraging.  Listing the frame files on the command line does work; I am not sure when any limits on the length of the command line would strike.

Note that I pass a collection of closures rather than forms; the hope is that it will be less resource hungry than creating all of the frames at one time.

Bill

I have a growing number of annotated images and thought it would be nice to make a movie out of them.  Following the example of an animated gif, I had a result a LOT faster than I expected, but the quality is really poor.  Maybe setting a palette would help, but I'm wondering if there are other/better ways?  Extra credit goes to any solution that can be driven from within Pharo or at least w/o littering my drive with lots of images, but I'll take what I can get if the quality is right.

images2mpg has been mentioned in a few places, but it is playing hard to get.

Bill

TimeLapseAnimation.st (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Beyond animated gif?

Chris Muller-3
Hi Bill, I have this exact same requirement in one of my applications.
 I've started out using mencoder as well, but the "avi" videos files
produced cannot be played in Windows.  Are you able to play yours in
Windows?

2010/8/15 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:

> mencoder can do the job.  See
>
>    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-images.html
>
> Don't work too hard on getting the list of files to work, at least be warned if you do.  I put the resulting error message into Google and the first link was a patch with a question about where to send it.  Helpful, if not encouraging.  Listing the frame files on the command line does work; I am not sure when any limits on the length of the command line would strike.
>
> Note that I pass a collection of closures rather than forms; the hope is that it will be less resource hungry than creating all of the frames at one time.
>
> Bill

Re: Beyond animated gif?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Windows????  Oh, yeah, got it :)

Actually, I think I have seen them play on Windows 7.  Fortunately, I have no ready way to test that at the moment.  Try looking here:

   http://www.munz.li/?p=48

Look at the over-copy in particular??  The image width might have to an even multiple of 4.

Good luck,

Bill