Big claps for Epicea (small request!)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Martin,

Thank you VERY MUCH for Epicea. I just had a crash and it was way more comfortable to recover changes.

One small request would be to allow "Pretty Print" in the diff to the changes to be applied. Many times I changed formatting etc so for when viewing changes, viewing with same formatting helps me to see the actual changes and not formatting changes.

Thanks!

Re: Big claps for Epicea (small request!)

Nicolas Cellier
format before diff is in the top 5 of my most hated default.
As an author, I try to write short methods and adhere to a standard format (Kent Beck like).

But I want the freedom to use derogation when the format helps comprehension.
If I did the effort of using a special formatting, the last thing that I want is a "smart" tool that undo my work.
The best time to format code is when we accept it, and only if there is a quick way to undo/bypass if we don't like it.

The formatter is dumb.
Let's illustrate it with literals among other things.

I might want to write 16rBADA55, but I'm sure i never want to read 12245589, it makes no sense ;)
(hey, this is a real example you can find in VMMaker sources, not just the production of my ill brain).

And if I make an effort to format a character encoding table on several lines to have it readable
   #(
      line1
      line2
      lineN ).
I'm pretty sure I never want to diff a single line with about 1024 columns...

So please make this an option (with a default to false)!

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, in all the rest of Pharo it is an option (a checkbox on the top right) and it is false by default.

Hi Martin,

Thank you VERY MUCH for Epicea. I just had a crash and it was way more comfortable to recover changes.

One small request would be to allow "Pretty Print" in the diff to the changes to be applied. Many times I changed formatting etc so for when viewing changes, viewing with same formatting helps me to see the actual changes and not formatting changes.

Thanks!

Re: Big claps for Epicea (small request!)

tinchodias
Finally I read it. Mariano, thanks for your words. I created: https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20266/Epicea-add-optional-Pretty-Print-in-the-diff
As Nicolas, I sometimes don't like the output of formatter... but it can be useful as an option.

cheers! Martín