classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big claps for Epicea (small request!)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Martin, 

Thank you VERY MUCH for Epicea. I just had a crash and it was way more comfortable to recover changes. 

One small request would be to allow "Pretty Print" in the diff to the changes to be applied. Many times I changed formatting etc so for when viewing changes, viewing with same formatting helps me to see the actual changes and not formatting changes. 

Thanks!

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big claps for Epicea (small request!)

Nicolas Cellier
format before diff is in the top 5 of my most hated default.
As an author, I try to write short methods and adhere to a standard format (Kent Beck like).

But I want the freedom to use derogation when the format helps comprehension.
If I did the effort of using a special formatting, the last thing that I want is a "smart" tool that undo my work.
The best time to format code is when we accept it, and only if there is a quick way to undo/bypass if we don't like it.

The formatter is dumb.
Let's illustrate it with literals among other things.

I might want to write 16rBADA55, but I'm sure i never want to read 12245589, it makes no sense ;)
(hey, this is a real example you can find in VMMaker sources, not just the production of my ill brain).

And if I make an effort to format a character encoding table on several lines to have it readable
   #(
      line1
      line2
      lineN ).
I'm pretty sure I never want to diff a single line with about 1024 columns...

So please make this an option (with a default to false)!

2017-07-19 22:27 GMT+02:00 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
Hi Martin, 

Thank you VERY MUCH for Epicea. I just had a crash and it was way more comfortable to recover changes. 

One small request would be to allow "Pretty Print" in the diff to the changes to be applied. Many times I changed formatting etc so for when viewing changes, viewing with same formatting helps me to see the actual changes and not formatting changes. 

Thanks!

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
As an author, I try to write short methods and adhere to a standard format (Kent Beck like).

If I did the effort of using a special formatting, the last thing that I want is a "smart" tool that undo my work.
The best time to format code is when we accept it, and only if there is a quick way to undo/bypass if we don't like it.

The formatter is dumb.

I might want to write 16rBADA55, but I'm sure i never want to read 12245589, it makes no sense ;)
(hey, this is a real example you can find in VMMaker sources, not just the production of my ill brain).

And if I make an effort to format a character encoding table on several lines to have it readable
   #(
      line1
      line2
      lineN ).

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, in all the rest of Pharo it is an option (a checkbox on the top right) and it is false by default. 

Cheers,

Hi Martin, 

Thanks!

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

tinchodias
Finally I read it. Mariano, thanks for your words. I created: https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20266/Epicea-add-optional-Pretty-Print-in-the-diff
As Nicolas, I sometimes don't like the output of formatter... but it can be useful as an option.

cheers! Martín

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

The formatter is dumb.

#(
      line1
      line2
      lineN ).

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, in all the rest of Pharo it is an option (a checkbox on the top right) and it is false by default. 

Cheers,

Hi Martin, 

Thanks!

--

--