Binary selector and special characters

12

Re: Binary selector and special characters

Nicolai Hess-3-2

On 08/31/2016 08:46 AM, Nicolai Hess wrote:

Anyone knows why RefactoringBrowsers smalltalk scanner (RBScanner)
explicit allowes
  "#($± $· $× $÷)" to be binary selector characters ?

I do -- I added them about 20 years ago :)...

Is there any smalltalk dialect that uses these characters ?

VW allows them. When possible, we made the scanner/parser be a superset of the VW & VA syntax.

John Brant

Thank you John, for the info.
Hm, now, what to do, fix our (pharo) parser to allowe these characters as binary selectors or change the scanner to not
generate binary selector tokens for them...

Re: Binary selector and special characters

Thierry Goubier

On 08/31/2016 08:46 AM, Nicolai Hess wrote:

Anyone knows why RefactoringBrowsers smalltalk scanner (RBScanner)
explicit allowes
  "#($± $· $× $÷)" to be binary selector characters ?

I do -- I added them about 20 years ago :)...

Is there any smalltalk dialect that uses these characters ?

VW allows them. When possible, we made the scanner/parser be a superset of the VW & VA syntax.

John Brant

Thank you John, for the info.
Hm, now, what to do, fix our (pharo) parser to allowe these characters as binary selectors or change the scanner to not
generate binary selector tokens for them...

I'd say change the parser to accept them.

Thierry

Re: Binary selector and special characters

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Nicolai Hess-3-2 wrote

> On 08/31/2016 08:46 AM, Nicolai Hess wrote:
>
> Anyone knows why RefactoringBrowsers smalltalk scanner (RBScanner)
>> explicit allowes
>>   "#($± $· $× $÷)" to be binary selector characters ?
>>

> I do -- I added them about 20 years ago :)...
>
> Is there any smalltalk dialect that uses these characters ?
>>

> VW allows them. When possible, we made the scanner/parser be a superset of
> the VW & VA syntax.
>

> John Brant

Thank you John, for the info.
Hm, now, what to do, fix our (pharo) parser to allowe these characters as
binary selectors or change the scanner to not
generate binary selector tokens for them...
I would argue that when Zerox PARC created Smalltalk ASCII was all they had to choose from. 40 years later, we have Unicode and we have people from around the world using Smalltalk. Most of them are not native English speakers.

Having a Smalltalk implementation that supports Unicode selectors, unary, binary, or keyword, would be a good and welcome things.
12