Bits from Prague and Berlin meetings

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

That was a travel, and that were the meetings! I really enjoyed meeting
the Smalltalkers in both cities and I like to thank them all for the
attention and warm welcome.

I hope Petr will soon extract few pictures from video recording he made
in tea house to see in what interesting environment we were, Smalltalk
and water pipes, but yes, also beer later :) There were about 12 people,
including two Ruby guys.

In Berlin/Potsdam on Hasso Plattner Institute I have a talk together
with Julian Fitzell, the core Seaside developer, so that attendees were
able to compare both Aida and Seaside and we had a lively talk about
them later in the restaurant with Bavarian traditional food. No fight
that time :) Julian is really a nice guy to chat with and we are
cooperating well with him on Swazoo as well. So Julian, it was nice to
meet you there!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Bits from Prague and Berlin meetings

Prashanth Hebbar
Janko:
Nice to hear about the meetings.

Would you be posting notes on your conversations with Julian, especially ideas (about web programming in Aida & Seaside) where you two converged and differed? That should be interesting to read.

Regards.
Prashanth

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bangalore

Re: Bits from Prague and Berlin meetings

Janko Mivšek
Hi Prashanth,

Prashanth Hebbar pravi:

> Nice to hear about the meetings.
>
> Would you be posting notes on your conversations with Julian, especially
> ideas (about web programming in Aida & Seaside) where you two converged
> and differed? That should be interesting to read.

We started a discussion about Swazoo, because I helped them to solve one
problem with exception handling in Seaside last minute before Swazoo 2.2
was released. We otherwise cooperate on Swazoo successfully for more
than one year now.

Next one was at the beer and Bavarian dinner about solving tree-like
control flow with continuations vs. usual Smalltalk processes, we
exchange some opinions, clarifications and experiences with both
approaches.

The concluding observations was as result of the question from the guy
sitting nearby: why two web frameworks? We think that a healthy
competition is a good thing and actually one of encouragements to move
forward.

Another observation was that both frameworks start from completely
different starting points but are now actually coming a bit closer. Aida
is introducing a tree-like control flow, while they are separating the
control flow now as an additional feature and on the other side work
more on better URLs, for instance. This is a sign that we are
converging, with little steps, but we do.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Bits from Prague and Berlin meetings

Prashanth Hebbar
Thanks Janko for those additional info. I remember watching a video post from Esug (?)  sometime where you had mentioned the immediate future for Aida to be a tree-like control flow and a book on Aida. So this falls into place for me.

Regards.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Prashanth,

Prashanth Hebbar pravi:

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Prashanth Hebbar
Bangalore

Re: Bits from Prague and Berlin meetings

Janko Mivšek
Prashanth Hebbar pravi:

> Thanks Janko for those additional info. I remember watching a video post
> from Esug (?)  sometime where you had mentioned the immediate future for
> Aida to be a tree-like control flow and a book on Aida. So this falls
> into place for me.

Yep, preliminary page about tree-like control flow is already in place
and I'm a day or so close to the proof of the concept solution:

        http://www.aidaweb.si/control-flow.html

Best regards
Janko