Bitwise Mag Smlltalk features

Huw Collingbourne
Just a quick note to let you know that my new magzine is now online
www.bitwisemag.com . We have a beginner's tutorial to Smalltalk (so not much
interest to people in this group - but maybe you can mention it to any
newcomers?)

Although the tutorial does explain how to use Dolphin Smalltalk it is mainly
based around Squeak for the simple reason that Squeak is free. I'm hoping to
carry a review of Dolphin later - just as soon as Andy can get me a copy (or
even an unlock code for the beta would be nice - hint, hint!)

all the best
Huw Collingbourne
================================
 Bitwise Magazine
     www.bitwisemag.com
     www.rantsandraves.co.uk
 Dark Neon Ltd.
================================

Re: Bitwise Mag Smlltalk features

Andy Bower-3
Huw,

> I'm hoping to carry a review of Dolphin later - just as soon as Andy
> can get me a copy (or even an unlock code for the beta would be nice
> - hint, hint!)

I've sent you the serial number by e-mail.

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Bitwise Mag Smlltalk features

Ian Bartholomew-20
> all the best
> Huw Collingbourne

That's a name I remember.  I used to read your columns in the early issues
of Computer Shopper (IIRC) back in the early/mid 80's.  I seem to recall it
being the best part, probably the reason I stopped buying the magazine :-)

Good luck with the online venture.  It looks interesting but I think you
should post a link to "bytegeist" page in the comp.object newsgroup.
Someone really ought to tell them, and as soon as possible, that OOP doesn't
work  :-)

 "OOP is snake-oil" indeed, anyone would think your columnist was trying to
be controversial.

Ian

Re: Bitwise Mag Smalltalk features

Huw Collingbourne
> That's a name I remember.  I used to read your columns in the early issues
> of Computer Shopper (IIRC) back in the early/mid 80's.  I seem to recall
> it being the best part, probably the reason I stopped buying the magazine
> :-)

Go on! Remind everyone of how ancient I am :-(

> "OOP is snake-oil" indeed, anyone would think your columnist was trying to
> be controversial.

Well, Dermot has never been known to mince his words. Fortunately, he isn't
just your average 'hack' and he has the real world experience to back up his
opinions.

As for me - well, I like OOP. It's just great for writing adventure games.
Dermot, on the other hand, has tended to concentrate on developing realtime
global risk trading systems and I believe he has been scarred by millions of
lines of impenetratable C++.

all the best
Huw
================================
 Bitwise Magazine
     www.bitwisemag.com
     www.rantsandraves.co.uk
 Dark Neon Ltd.
================================

Re: Bitwise Mag Smlltalk features

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Ian,

>  "OOP is snake-oil" indeed, anyone would think your columnist was trying to
> be controversial.

IMHO, he's missed the point.  If anything has failed, it is not OO, but
component software.  Good read though.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Bitwise Mag Smalltalk features

Andy Bower-3
Huw,

> > "OOP is snake-oil" indeed, anyone would think your columnist was
> > trying to be controversial.
> >

> Well, Dermot has never been known to mince his words. Fortunately, he
> isn't just your average 'hack' and he has the real world experience
> to back up his opinions.

Hmm... well the example the Dermot gives to illustrate his dislike of
OOP seems to smack more of a lack of a testing methodology than
anything inherently wrong with sharing code via inheritance.

> As for me - well, I like OOP. It's just great for writing adventure
> games.  Dermot, on the other hand, has tended to concentrate on
> developing realtime global risk trading systems and I believe he has
> been scarred by millions of lines of impenetratable C++.

Possibly, the problem is that C++ isn't a very good OOP!! We have some
real world experience of using OOP (and Smalltalk) for a critical
real-time application, see: www.alchemetrics.org for some details.

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Bitwise Mag Smalltalk features

Huw Collingbourne
You may be interested to know that we now have a Letters To The Editor page:
http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/letters/letters2.html
So far we have received one letter that is strongly in agreement with Dermot
and one that is equally strongly in disagreement. These will be published at
the end of the month. In the meantime, if anyone feels the urge to respond
to Dermot's piece (or anything else in Bitwise) all opinions are welcome....
:-)

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

p.s. When will Dolphin 6 be ready for either a preview or a review to be
published? We're getting lots of feedback on our Smalltalk features and I'd
like to follow up with more soon.
================================
 Bitwise Magazine
     www.bitwisemag.com
     www.rantsandraves.co.uk
 Dark Neon Ltd.
================================

"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Huw,
>
>> > "OOP is snake-oil" indeed, anyone would think your columnist was
>> > trying to be controversial.
>> >

>> Well, Dermot has never been known to mince his words. Fortunately, he
>> isn't just your average 'hack' and he has the real world experience
>> to back up his opinions.
>
> Hmm... well the example the Dermot gives to illustrate his dislike of
> OOP seems to smack more of a lack of a testing methodology than
> anything inherently wrong with sharing code via inheritance.
>
>> As for me - well, I like OOP. It's just great for writing adventure
>> games.  Dermot, on the other hand, has tended to concentrate on
>> developing realtime global risk trading systems and I believe he has
>> been scarred by millions of lines of impenetratable C++.
>
> Possibly, the problem is that C++ isn't a very good OOP!! We have some
> real world experience of using OOP (and Smalltalk) for a critical
> real-time application, see: www.alchemetrics.org for some details.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Andy Bower
> Dolphin Support
> www.object-arts.com

Re: Bitwise Mag Smalltalk features

Andy Bower-3
Huw,

> p.s. When will Dolphin 6 be ready for either a preview or a review to
> be published? We're getting lots of feedback on our Smalltalk
> features and I'd like to follow up with more soon.

Well, I'd rather not pre-release a D6 before it's ready but, as pointed
out in an earlier thread, you are quite welcome to publish screenshots
and comments about the beta if you wish (i.e. you are not under any
sort of NDA). Perhaps, you could publish a mini-preview of D6 in
BitWise.

In the meantime, we can offer you a free copy of DVE5 to give away with
BitWise, if you'd like. Contact me by e-mail and I can let you have an
appropriate serial number. If you want to do this, I'd like to suggest
that you don't just publish a download link and the serial number
directly since we'd really like the receipients to be bonafide readers
of your magazine to qualify. Perhaps you could run some sort of
"competition" where the readers have to answer a question from the
magazine text before the serial number is given out?

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support