Bitwise Magazine and Smalltalk

Andy Bower-3
Folks,

Bitwise, the new online programmer's magazine, is now giving away a
free version of Dolphin Smalltalk Value Edition 5.1 with the August
issue.

For the last couple of months they have been running Smalltalk
tutorials and the latest issue backs this up with one targeted
specifically at Dolphin smalltalk to coincide with the software
giveaway.

www.bitwisemag.com

I believe they may also be looking for further Smalltalk articles, so
if you feel you have anything to offer you should probably contact the
editor at [hidden email].

Best regards

Andy Bower
www.object-arts.com

Re: Bitwise Magazine and Smalltalk

Paolo
Thanks to Objects Arts and Bitwisemag, it is a very nice present!
To try the wonderful xp version (I used the free 2.1) and to be
prepared for holiday spare time I developed a sudoku game, it can be
found at http://topotto.spymac.com . For non italian speakers below the
translation of the pushbuttons:
Imposta = Set-up , manually the basic numbers
Gioca = Play
Suggerisci = Hint
Risolvi = Solve
Salva Posizione = Save current position
Carica Posizione = Load saved position
Genera = Generate game

If someone could send me an .exe version of the game I would be very
happy to include the download on the webpage.

Have fun and thanks again!

Paolo

Andy Bower ha scritto:

> Folks,
>
> Bitwise, the new online programmer's magazine, is now giving away a
> free version of Dolphin Smalltalk Value Edition 5.1 with the August
> issue.
>
> For the last couple of months they have been running Smalltalk
> tutorials and the latest issue backs this up with one targeted
> specifically at Dolphin smalltalk to coincide with the software
> giveaway.
>
> www.bitwisemag.com
>
> I believe they may also be looking for further Smalltalk articles, so
> if you feel you have anything to offer you should probably contact the
> editor at [hidden email].
>
> Best regards
>
> Andy Bower
> www.object-arts.com

Re: Bitwise Magazine and Smalltalk

jtzecher
I've got somebody in the office with me who has been warning me about
spyware being included in freeware. Do you know if this has been
checked to make sure it doesn't have any? I apologize for asking the
question. No offense is intended.

Re: Bitwise Magazine and Smalltalk

Huw Collingbourne
The software Andy gave us for download from Bitwise is exactly the same as
the commercial version which was sold from the Object Arts site (I literally
downloaded the commercial version from the Object Arts site and then
uploaded it onto Bitwise - Andy then provided me with the serial number to
unlock the software which can be found on the Bitwise site). I have no
reason to suppose that Object Arts place spyware into their software as
standard and no changes to the software were made before it was made
available to us.

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne
================================
 Bitwise Magazine
     www.bitwisemag.com
     www.rantsandraves.co.uk
 Dark Neon Ltd.
================================

"jtzecher" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> I've got somebody in the office with me who has been warning me about
> spyware being included in freeware. Do you know if this has been
> checked to make sure it doesn't have any? I apologize for asking the
> question. No offense is intended.

Re: Bitwise Magazine and Smalltalk

jtzecher
I appreciate the reply. I want to emphasize that I was not making any
accusations or implying anything. Just merely making an inquiry because
I didn't know any better.
On another note, I had no trouble downloading from the link provided. I
don't know what the reference to the "unless they fixed the link" meant.

Re: Bitwise Magazine and Smalltalk

Huw Collingbourne
"jtzecher" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
>I appreciate the reply. I want to emphasize that I was not making any
> accusations or implying anything.

Don't worry. I didn't take it as a criticism ;-)

However, if anyone does experience any problems, please just drop me a line
to let me know. In this case, I suspect it may have been a momentary
'glitch'. I've had problems myself with downloading files from other
people's site in the past - especially when I was on a dial-up connection.
If people have problems, there is no guarantee that I will be able to fix
them. However, if there is some obvious error such as a broken link or
corrupt file, the quicker I know about it the faster I'll fix it.... :-)

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne
 Bitwise Magazine
     www.bitwisemag.com