Bizarre Text Selection in Pharo 5.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
It seems impossible that no one has encountered this, but I didn't find anything on the mailing list. When I select text in Nautilus code pane and then e.g. press $[ to add brackets around the selection smartly, the selection shifts and one of the brackets ends up in the wrong place. Anyone else running into this?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Bizarre Text Selection in Pharo 5.0

Max Leske

> On 28 Jul 2016, at 19:31, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It seems impossible that no one has encountered this, but I didn't find
> anything on the mailing list. When I select text in Nautilus code pane and
> then e.g. press $[ to add brackets around the selection smartly, the
> selection shifts and one of the brackets ends up in the wrong place. Anyone
> else running into this?

Yes, regularly :)

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Bizarre Text Selection in Pharo 5.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Max Leske wrote
Yes, regularly :)
Arghh. This is a big-time workflow killer. Is there an issue or should I create one?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Bizarre Text Selection in Pharo 5.0

Max Leske

> On 29 Jul 2016, at 03:01, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Max Leske wrote
>> Yes, regularly :)
>
> Arghh. This is a big-time workflow killer. Is there an issue or should I
> create one?

I found this case [1], but it’s old and doesn’t describe our specific problem I think. Please open a new issue (you can add me to the notification list).

Cheers,
Max

1: https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/4579/check-cursor-movement-selection-provide-an-exact-analysis-what-needs-to-be-fixed

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Bizarre Text Selection in Pharo 5.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Max Leske wrote
Please open a new issue (you can add me to the notification list).
Done. Sorry for the delay.
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19036/Bizarre-Text-Selection-in-Pharo-5-0
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Bizarre Text Selection in Pharo 5.0

Nicolai Hess-3-2

Max Leske wrote
> Please open a new issue (you can add me to the notification list).

Done. Sorry for the delay.
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19036/Bizarre-Text-Selection-in-Pharo-5-0

Can you add the platform information. I can not reproduce this on windows
And does this happens only for $[ or for the other smart characters as well?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Bizarre Text Selection in Pharo 5.0

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Nicolai Hess-3-2 wrote
Can you add the platform information
Mac 10.10.5

Nicolai Hess-3-2 wrote
And does this happens only for $[ or for the other smart characters as well?
Unrelated to smart characters. When I hold shift down to select from the cursor to another point in an editor, it seems that Pharo forgets where the cursor is and makes the selection between two seemingly-random indices. I'll pay more attention to the pattern, which is difficult because I'm nearly always surprised!

All info added to issue comments...
Cheers,
Sean