Black background for new Toolbar Icons

12

Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Udo Schneider
Hi All,

when using DST 6 over an RDP connection all new Icons in the toolbar do
not use transparency anymore. You'll see a black background. The old
icons work just fine.

I tried this with 15, 16 and 24 bit - no change. I'm not sure whether
this is RDP specific. I can tell you more this evening.

CU,

Udo

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
Udo Schneider escribió:
> Hi All,
>
> when using DST 6 over an RDP connection all new Icons in the toolbar do
> not use transparency anymore. You'll see a black background. The old
> icons work just fine.

In Windows2000 the same happens.
But considering that Dx6 is targeted to XP platforms, I assume this
"behavior"
is acceptable.

Best regards

--
Esteban

Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
> In Windows2000 the same happens.
> But considering that Dx6 is targeted to XP platforms, I assume this
> "behavior"
> is acceptable.
The problem is .... I am using Windows XP (Pro). My first thought was
that it might depend on Theming ... but this wasn't the case. Neither
the "orginal" Windows theme nor the XP "Theme" renders the new toolbar
icons correctly.

Udo Schneider escribió:
> Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
>> In Windows2000 the same happens.
>> But considering that Dx6 is targeted to XP platforms, I assume this
>> "behavior"
>> is acceptable.

> The problem is .... I am using Windows XP (Pro). My first thought was
> that it might depend on Theming ... but this wasn't the case. Neither
> the "orginal" Windows theme nor the XP "Theme" renders the new toolbar
> icons correctly.

I had no problems with XP Pro SP2 MUI Edition.
With all the themes, including those which are not official and uses the
  patched uxtheme DLL (Aqua like, and others)

Best regards.

--
Esteban

Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
> I had no problems with XP Pro SP2 MUI Edition.
> With all the themes, including those which are not official and uses the
>  patched uxtheme DLL (Aqua like, and others)
I had no problem when working on the console itself ... but if I access
my machine using RDP the icons loose transparency.

CU,

Udo

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Andy Bower-3
Udo,

> when using DST 6 over an RDP connection all new Icons in the toolbar
> do not use transparency anymore. You'll see a black background. The
> old icons work just fine.
>
> I tried this with 15, 16 and 24 bit - no change. I'm not sure whether
> this is RDP specific. I can tell you more this evening.

This looks like a bug in the way that the ToolbarIconButton renders the
icon into a bitmap. Hopefully it should be fixable.

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Andy Bower wrote:
> This looks like a bug in the way that the ToolbarIconButton renders the
> icon into a bitmap. Hopefully it should be fixable.
You mean one of these window ImageList "features"? The only thing that
bothers me is the fact that it only happens over a RDP connection.

Should I tile a bug for this?

CU,

Udo

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Esteban,

> In Windows2000 the same happens.
> But considering that Dx6 is targeted to XP platforms, I assume this
> "behavior"
> is acceptable.

What is your experience running on 2k?  The list boxes in the inspectors
do not work properly - any other problems?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Andy,

>> This looks like a bug in the way that the ToolbarIconButton renders the
>> icon into a bitmap. Hopefully it should be fixable.
>
> You mean one of these window ImageList "features"? The only thing that
> bothers me is the fact that it only happens over a RDP connection.

I'm seeing it on 2k too.  The other thing is that if the black is meant
to be transparent, then they will be very hard to see once the the
workaround for the feature is in place.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Blair McGlashan
"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Esteban,
>
>> In Windows2000 the same happens.
>> But considering that Dx6 is targeted to XP platforms, I assume this
>> "behavior"
>> is acceptable.
>
> What is your experience running on 2k?  The list boxes in the inspectors
> do not work properly - any other problems?

At the moment it is looking unlikely that any 2k issues will be fixed. If
anyone wants to submit fixes, then fine, but we won't have time to make them
ourselves.

Regards

Blair

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Udo Schneider
Short update - it only get's worse.

1) If I start DST6 on the console all windows are fine.
2) If I take over the existing Session *new windows* will get these
black background icons. The existing icons in old windows remain fine.
3) If I switch back to the console the windows created during the RDP
Session keep their black background icons.
4) New windows will have *most* of their icons rendered correctly. Some
icons remain black backgrounded.

IMHO Points 1-3 can be explained when the ImageList creation depends on
the active screen device ... Point 4 however leaves me totally perplexed.

I attached a picture to show the current situation:

The top window was created during an RDP Session and all icons have a
black background. The window below was created after switching back to
the console. As you can see most of the icons render correctly ...
except the "New Class" icon.

Really strange ...

CU,

Udo

dst6_black_toolbar_icons.bmp (222K) Download Attachment

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Andy Bower-3
Udo,

> Short update - it only get's worse.
>
> 1) If I start DST6 on the console all windows are fine.
> 2) If I take over the existing Session *new windows* will get these
> black background icons. The existing icons in old windows remain
> fine.  3) If I switch back to the console the windows created during
> the RDP Session keep their black background icons.  4) New windows
> will have most of their icons rendered correctly. Some icons remain
> black backgrounded.
>
> IMHO Points 1-3 can be explained when the ImageList creation depends
> on the active screen device ... Point 4 however leaves me totally
> perplexed.
>
> I attached a picture to show the current situation:
>
> The top window was created during an RDP Session and all icons have a
> black background. The window below was created after switching back
> to the console. As you can see most of the icons render correctly ...
> except the "New Class" icon.

Ok, we think we've fixed it. From the Release Notes -

"Caused by not erasing the toolbar background to the "right shade of
grey" when rendering a ToolbarIconButton. Added the following into
ToolbarIconButton>>renderBitmap. (bitmap canvas) backcolor: Color
face3d ; erase."

Please try a Live Update to fix the problem

Best regards

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Udo Schneider
Hi Andy,

> Please try a Live Update to fix the problem
This did the job!

I tried to reproduce the problem using all different startup/switch
procedures. The problem is gone!

Thank you,

Udo

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Blair, Andy,

>>What is your experience running on 2k?  The list boxes in the inspectors
>>do not work properly - any other problems?
>

> At the moment it is looking unlikely that any 2k issues will be fixed. If
> anyone wants to submit fixes, then fine, but we won't have time to make them
> ourselves.

Obviously, I hope you will reconsider.  IMHO, it is more important to
run across all supported versions of Windows (and ideally some popular
orphaned ones still in wide use) than to make cosmetic changes to the IDE.

Some of the IDE improvements are quite substantial and will no doubt be
helpful to those users with customer bases (now or in the future)
targeted by D6.  Full block closures are a great thing.  There's more,
of course.

We, your direct customers, as developers, can install an OS here or
there and keep running.  Our customers might not have that luxury; mine
currently do not.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Andy,

For what it's worth, Udo's screenshot shows me what you are trying to do
with the toolbar icons.  With transparency working, they look pretty
good.  I still think WinXP out of the box is an eyesore, but Dolphin
will add some class (literally and figuratively) to it.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Udo Schneider
Bill
> For what it's worth, Udo's screenshot shows me what you are trying to do
> with the toolbar icons.  With transparency working, they look pretty
> good.  I still think WinXP out of the box is an eyesore, but Dolphin
> will add some class (literally and figuratively) to it.
Did you already tried with PL1 applied?

CU,

Udo

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Udo,

> Bill
>
>> For what it's worth, Udo's screenshot shows me what you are trying to
>> do with the toolbar icons.  With transparency working, they look
>> pretty good.  I still think WinXP out of the box is an eyesore, but
>> Dolphin will add some class (literally and figuratively) to it.
>
> Did you already tried with PL1 applied?

No, hopefully it will take care of it.  Either way, it's nice to see
what they are supposed to look like, and that it is very readable.  They
will probably be more distinctive than the icons in D5; it would simply
take some adjusting to the new images to pick them out.  My concern was
that the foreground looked pretty weak against the black, and might
blend into the background.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Andy Bower-3
Bill,

> We, your direct customers, as developers, can install an OS here or
> there and keep running.  Our customers might not have that luxury;
> mine currently do not.

I quote the System Requirements page from the help:

--
Note that, although the development system is not guaranteed to run
correctly on operating systems other than the above, you may still use

· Windows 98
· Windows ME
· Windows NT4 SP3 or later
· Windows 2000
· Windows Server 2003
· Windows XP

If you do choose to deploy an application and run it on one of the
earlier versions of Windows, you will need to make sure that you do not
use any features of the operating system that are not available in that
version.
--

and the Tip of the Day #38:

--
Although the Dolphin development system is only supported on Windows
2003/XP, it is still possible to deploy applications for older

If there are any reasons why these conditions can't be met, we'd like
to know.

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

rush
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Although the Dolphin development system is only supported on Windows
> 2003/XP, it is still possible to deploy applications for older
> platforms if you are careful to avoid using new Windows features in them

Andy,

it would be great if you could put a page in docs describing things that you
know they would cause problems on older OS. (and we could add some
experience from the field later on).

rush
--
http://www.templatetamer.com/
http://www.folderscavenger.com/

Re: Black background for new Toolbar Icons

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Andy,

>>We, your direct customers, as developers, can install an OS here or
>>there and keep running.  Our customers might not have that luxury;
>>mine currently do not.
>

> I quote the System Requirements page from the help:
>
> --
> Note that, although the development system is not guaranteed to run
> correctly on operating systems other than the above, you may still use
> it  to develop applications that will run on any of the following
> versions of Microsoft Windows.
>
> · Windows 98
> · Windows ME
> · Windows NT4 SP3 or later
> · Windows 2000
> · Windows Server 2003
> · Windows XP
>
> If you do choose to deploy an application and run it on one of the
> earlier versions of Windows, you will need to make sure that you do not
> use any features of the operating system that are not available in that
> version.

Fair enough, but given that the first defect I noticed was improper
redraw of list boxes, my level of confidence is not high re end-use
experience on 2k.  If these things are simple problems, then I
advice/implore you to fix it.

Sincerely,

Bill

--