Black screen on Mac OSX

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

I just noted DrGeo 17.07 (pharo 3 based) starts with a black screen on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

Can anyone with such configuration confirm it?

Thanks

Hilaire

Dr. Geo -- http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi hilaire

I'm on 10.12.6 and I downloaded the latest version of DRGeo I can find
on the link in your signature.
First I had problem to launch it because it is blocked by the security
manager and
yes I can confirm that the system just open a black screen.
I had to kill the app.

Stef

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 2:19 PM, H. Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just noted DrGeo 17.07 (pharo 3 based) starts with a black screen on Mac OS X 10.12.6.
>
> Can anyone with such configuration confirm it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>

> Dr. Geo -- http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

Thanks for the test. So I have to update it.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

Stephane Ducasse-3
Let me know if you want that I retry.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the test. So I have to update it.
>
> Hilaire
>

> Le 26/03/2018 à 19:58, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
>>
>> Hi hilaire
>>
>> I'm on 10.12.6 and I downloaded the latest version of DRGeo I can find
>> on the link in your signature.
>> First I had problem to launch it because it is blocked by the security
>> manager and
>> yes I can confirm that the system just open a black screen.
>> I had to kill the app.
>>
>> Stef
>

> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

demarey
Hi Hilaire,

I think the problem comes from the VM shipped.
If the VM is too old, it does not work well on recent distributions.
You could try to use the stable VM of Pharo 4 instead and it should work.

Christophe

> Le 26 mars 2018 à 14:19, H. Fernandes <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> I just noted DrGeo 17.07 (pharo 3 based) starts with a black screen on Mac OS X 10.12.6.
>
> Can anyone with such configuration confirm it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>

> Dr. Geo -- http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

HilaireFernandes
Yes, please try with this version, based on Pharo4 VM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oe7hvdrmz7mstvx/DrGeo-Pharo4.0.app.zip?dl=0

Thanks

Hilaire

Le 26/03/2018 à 22:15, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
> Let me know if you want that I retry.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

HilaireFernandes
Thanks for the tip

Le 27/03/2018 à 08:59, Christophe Demarey a écrit :
> If the VM is too old, it does not work well on recent distributions.
> You could try to use the stable VM of Pharo 4 instead and it should work.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi hilaire

I got startup errors
I debugged a bit and you are calling to create a directory

createDirectory: path

        Path / 'var' / 'folders' / 'gs' /
'_5w5v50j3m7gl4lcqf9npxhr0000gq' / 'T' / 'AppTranslocation' /
'863D37C1-90CD-4901-90DA-F4EC3F4B3080' / 'd' / 'locale'

the encode pathString is
'/var/folders/gs/_5w5v50j3m7gl4lcqf9npxhr0000gq/T/AppTranslocation/863D37C1-90CD-4901-90DA-F4EC3F4B3080/d/locale'

And this leads to a primitive failure

createDirectory: path
"Create a directory for the argument path.
If the path refers to an existing file, raise FileExists.
If the path refers to an existing directory, raise DirectoryExists.
If the parent directory of the path does not exist, raise DirectoryDoesNotExist"

| parent encodedPathString pathString result |
pathString := self stringFromPath: path.
encodedPathString := Primitives encode: pathString.
result := Primitives createDirectory: encodedPathString.
result
   ifNil: [
    parent := path parent.
   (self exists: path)
    ifTrue: [
     (self isFile: path)
       ifTrue: [ self signalFileExists: path ]
       ifFalse: [ self signalDirectoryExists: path ] ].
  (self isDirectory: parent)
         ifFalse: [ ^ self signalDirectoryDoesNotExist: parent ].
self primitiveFailed ].
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It fails here

^ self

On my machine I get

var/folders/gs/_5w5v50j3m7gl4lcqf9npxhr0000gq/T/AppTranslocation

and not the folder d

This comes from reset of the GetTextTranslator

privateStartUp
    self reset.
    GetTextTranslator reset.
    self localeChanged.

Tell me how I can help.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip
>

> Le 27/03/2018 à 08:59, Christophe Demarey a écrit :
>>
>> If the VM is too old, it does not work well on recent distributions.
>> You could try to use the stable VM of Pharo 4 instead and it should work.
>

> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 21.49.25.png (1M) Download Attachment

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hilaire

I looked at the other bug.
And I would like to know if you are defining extra
methods on SQSurfaceDispatch class.
I do not get why I got an error (may be this is related to the source
management.

Stef

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 9:56 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi hilaire
>
> I got startup errors
> I debugged a bit and you are calling to create a directory
>
> createDirectory: path
>
>         Path / 'var' / 'folders' / 'gs' /
> '_5w5v50j3m7gl4lcqf9npxhr0000gq' / 'T' / 'AppTranslocation' /
> '863D37C1-90CD-4901-90DA-F4EC3F4B3080' / 'd' / 'locale'
>
> the encode pathString is
> '/var/folders/gs/_5w5v50j3m7gl4lcqf9npxhr0000gq/T/AppTranslocation/863D37C1-90CD-4901-90DA-F4EC3F4B3080/d/locale'
>

> And this leads to a primitive failure
>
> createDirectory: path
> "Create a directory for the argument path.
> If the path refers to an existing file, raise FileExists.
> If the path refers to an existing directory, raise DirectoryExists.
> If the parent directory of the path does not exist, raise DirectoryDoesNotExist"
>
> | parent encodedPathString pathString result |
> pathString := self stringFromPath: path.
> encodedPathString := Primitives encode: pathString.
> result := Primitives createDirectory: encodedPathString.
> result
>    ifNil: [
>     parent := path parent.
>    (self exists: path)
>     ifTrue: [
>      (self isFile: path)
>        ifTrue: [ self signalFileExists: path ]
>        ifFalse: [ self signalDirectoryExists: path ] ].
>   (self isDirectory: parent)
>          ifFalse: [ ^ self signalDirectoryDoesNotExist: parent ].
> self primitiveFailed ].
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> It fails here
>
> ^ self
>

> On my machine I get
>
> var/folders/gs/_5w5v50j3m7gl4lcqf9npxhr0000gq/T/AppTranslocation
>
> and not the folder d
>

> This comes from reset of the GetTextTranslator
>
> privateStartUp
>     self reset.
>     GetTextTranslator reset.
>     self localeChanged.
>

> Tell me how I can help.
>

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks for the tip
>>

>> Le 27/03/2018 à 08:59, Christophe Demarey a écrit :
>>>
>>> If the VM is too old, it does not work well on recent distributions.
>>> You could try to use the stable VM of Pharo 4 instead and it should work.
>>

>> --
>> Dr. Geo
>> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

HilaireFernandes
No I am not defining such extra method. I more or less packaged blindly
a modified universal VMs for P4. I was able to test it on linux and
windows (throught wine), but not on Mac osx.

I am doing right now the same for P7 based image, but not there yet.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

Stephane Ducasse-3
I have the impression that there is something with source and cr.
I'm busy with a project proposal.
Let me know for P7 because this is easier to check and help.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 11:31 PM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No I am not defining such extra method. I more or less packaged blindly a
> modified universal VMs for P4. I was able to test it on linux and windows
> (throught wine), but not on Mac osx.
>
> I am doing right now the same for P7 based image, but not there yet.
>

> Le 03/04/2018 à 22:39, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
>>
>> Hilaire
>>
>> I looked at the other bug.
>> And I would like to know if you are defining extra
>> methods on SQSurfaceDispatch class.
>> I do not get why I got an error (may be this is related to the source
>> management.
>>
>> Stef
>

> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

HilaireFernandes
Le 04/04/2018 à 12:13, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
> Let me know for P7 because this is easier to check and help.
Ah, so please test this one on your Mac. It is a P7 image based built:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f51fh7wa9x52grv/DrGeo.app-18.06a.zip?dl=0

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Hilaire

The app goes to the dock but nothing happens. What is strange is that
it is assigned to none display.
I tried to open the drgeo.image with my working Pharo6.1VM and it did not work.
I tried to open the drgeo.image with my working Pharo70VM and it did not work.
=> did not open.

I could open one of my Phaor 70 images with the VM you ship.

I have no log files or others. So I do not know what to do.

Stef

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 04/04/2018 à 12:13, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
>>
>> Let me know for P7 because this is easier to check and help.
>
> Ah, so please test this one on your Mac. It is a P7 image based built:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f51fh7wa9x52grv/DrGeo.app-18.06a.zip?dl=0
>

> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>

> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

HilaireFernandes
It is strange. The image in the package should be fine because it is
working on Linux and windows. I will try too in a computer of the school
next week.

Thanks for the test!

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

FreeFontProvider unload [was] Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

HilaireFernandes
I tracked the problem, it is related to change in the
FreeTypeFontProvider behavior.

In P3, #unload message cleared the cache. In P7, #unload just does
nothing. Seems to be replaced by #resetCurrent

Hilaire

Le 07/04/2018 à 17:43, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :

> Hi Hilaire
>
> The app goes to the dock but nothing happens. What is strange is that
> it is assigned to none display.
> I tried to open the drgeo.image with my working Pharo6.1VM and it did not work.
> I tried to open the drgeo.image with my working Pharo70VM and it did not work.
> => did not open.
>
> I could open one of my Phaor 70 images with the VM you ship.
>
> I have no log files or others. So I do not know what to do.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: FreeFontProvider unload [was] Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi Hilaire,
  thanks for spliting the subject, I have missed the discussion in the other thread.

The #unload message should be used to clean up the system in case the class is unload from the system.
That's why the logic has been move to the #resetCurrent method that is called during the shutdown of the image.

However, the question is not if the method should be included in a compatibility package or if the users should send #resetCurrent.
The problem is why it is needed to clean up the font cache, it should not be needed. The only scenario I think is if you want to replace a font (in the Pharo world a Face, because there is a font per each combination of face and point size) named exactly the same with another one. I think this is no normal behavior.

I will try to see why this is needed when loading DrGeo in Pharo7 and fix the FT implementation not to need it.
Maybe it is hiding a bigger issue.

Cheers,
Pablo

Pablo Tesone.

Re: FreeFontProvider unload [was] Re: Black screen on Mac OSX

HilaireFernandes
Hi Pablo,

DrGeo is shipped with two fonts, depending on the system locale at DrGeo
start up, one or another one is used. So the cache need to be reset at.
May be there is better to handle that, it worked pretty well until now.

Hilaire