Bloc Feedback

12

Re: Bloc Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
> No, they don't. You have a very old version of Gt-Examples :)

I'm flummoxed. I downloaded a fresh Pharo 7 image via launcher, checked that
my local Bloc clone had the latest commits, and ran the "bleeding edge"
installation script from the README, namely:
Metacello new
   baseline: 'Bloc';
   repository: 'github://pharo-graphics/Bloc/src';
   load: #core

While I love what git (via e.g. GH) has made available especially regarding
social coding, at this point, I feel like I have no idea how to install
things. The results usually seem opaque and surprising :/

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc Feedback

Tudor Girba-2
I am not sure I understand: Do you confirm that examples work properly for you?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: Bloc Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tudor Girba-2 wrote
> I am not sure I understand

What I mean is that I followed that process before when I reported all those
bugs and if IIUC the responses I wasted my time because I was using old
versions and reporting bugs that had already been fixed.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
> There are so many complains about absence of class comments, but no one
> reads them. Looks like it is easier to remove experimental examples
> completely :)

I don't understand. I specifically skipped reporting BlExperimentalExamples
failures because of that comment.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
> No, they don't. You have a very old version of Gt-Examples :)

How do I get an image with the behavior in the video? I documented my steps.
Where am I going wrong?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc Feedback

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Nov 27, 2017, at 12:38 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Aliaksei Syrel wrote
>> No, they don't. You have a very old version of Gt-Examples :)
>
> How do I get an image with the behavior in the video? I documented my steps.
> Where am I going wrong?

In your description, you checked that you have the latest version of Bloc on the local disk. GToolkit-Examples is in another repository: pharo-local/iceberg/feenkcom/gtoolkit-examples.

The simplest way to ensure that you do get the latest versions is to delete the whole pharo-local/iceberg folder and then try re-loading the code in a fresh image.

Please let us know if you encounter problems.

Cheers,
Doru

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Bloc Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
>> So one would change the `loop: 1` in your example to `beInfinite`?
>  Also, what is the lifetime of an infinite animation?
>

> It can only be stopped by sending #stop to it.

Is holding it weakly from the element and sending #stop enough for the
animation to be garbage collected?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc Feedback

Aliaksei Syrel
Hi Sean,

Yes, after animation is stopped it is removed from the animation manager and if referenced weakly should be garbage collected.
Otherwise it is a bug :)

Cheers,
Alex

On 2 December 2017 at 04:48, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
>> So one would change the `loop: 1` in your example to `beInfinite`?
>  Also, what is the lifetime of an infinite animation?
>

> It can only be stopped by sending #stop to it.

Is holding it weakly from the element and sending #stop enough for the
animation to be garbage collected?

Re: Bloc Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
> Yes, after animation is stopped it is removed from the animation manager
> and if referenced weakly should be garbage collected.
> Otherwise it is a bug :)

I changed the clock example code from `loop: 1` to `beInfinite` and opened a
bunch of clocks.

Now, in a fresh playground:
<http://forum.world.st/file/t128965/Screenshot_2017-12-02_09.jpeg>

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc Feedback

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Sean,

The way I understand it is that the animation has to be stopped for the animation to be removed. If you make it to never stop, it will never be removed.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Dec 2, 2017, at 3:37 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Aliaksei Syrel wrote
>> Yes, after animation is stopped it is removed from the animation manager
>> and if referenced weakly should be garbage collected.
>> Otherwise it is a bug :)
>
> I changed the clock example code from `loop: 1` to `beInfinite` and opened a
> bunch of clocks.
>
> Now, in a fresh playground:
> <http://forum.world.st/file/t128965/Screenshot_2017-12-02_09.jpeg>
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: Bloc Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
>  Also, what is the lifetime of an infinite animation?
> Do you have any particular use-case for animations?

I hacked together a simplified stepping animation (may not be in the right
place in the class hierarchy). Here's a pull request to discuss
https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Bloc/pull/37

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc Feedback

Aliaksei Syrel
Hi,

An object that is called now "Animation" in Bloc is not necessarily bound to the visual element.
The correct name for the root class of "BlBaseAnimation" should be "BlPostAction" - a valuable that is guaranteed to be evaluated in the beginning of every frame before anything else. We have already a deferred action but they are only evaluated when there is enough time between frames.
"BlBaseAnimation" should be renamed to something line "BlElementAnimation" that is guaranteed to be bound to a visual element and stops itself if element is no more in the scene graph by checking that explicitly before doing every animation step.

Cheers,
Alex

On 2 December 2017 at 16:35, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
>  Also, what is the lifetime of an infinite animation?
> Do you have any particular use-case for animations?

I hacked together a simplified stepping animation (may not be in the right
place in the class hierarchy). Here's a pull request to discuss
https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Bloc/pull/37

Re: Bloc Feedback

Aliaksei Syrel
I forgot to mention that "BlPostAction" is a one time action - it disappears once done :)

Cheers,
Alex

On 2 December 2017 at 17:26, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

An object that is called now "Animation" in Bloc is not necessarily bound to the visual element.
The correct name for the root class of "BlBaseAnimation" should be "BlPostAction" - a valuable that is guaranteed to be evaluated in the beginning of every frame before anything else. We have already a deferred action but they are only evaluated when there is enough time between frames.
"BlBaseAnimation" should be renamed to something line "BlElementAnimation" that is guaranteed to be bound to a visual element and stops itself if element is no more in the scene graph by checking that explicitly before doing every animation step.

Cheers,
Alex

On 2 December 2017 at 16:35, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
>  Also, what is the lifetime of an infinite animation?
> Do you have any particular use-case for animations?

I hacked together a simplified stepping animation (may not be in the right
place in the class hierarchy). Here's a pull request to discuss
https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Bloc/pull/37

Re: Bloc Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
> should be "BlPostAction" - a valuable that is guaranteed to be evaluated
> in the
> beginning of every frame before anything else.

That name and definition do not seem to fit to me. "Post" in what sense? Why
is "action" more accurate than "animation"?

Aliaksei Syrel wrote
> and stops itself if element is no more in the scene graph *by checking
> that explicitly before
> doing every animation step*.

I'd be interested in the performance cost of this approach, especially for
an example like Squeak's infection modelling morph…

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc Feedback

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Aliaksei

Read again this sentence :)

 "BlPostAction" - a valuable that is guaranteed to be evaluated in the
beginning of every frame before anything else.

MAy be BlPostAction should be renamed BlEarlyAction

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> An object that is called now "Animation" in Bloc is not necessarily bound to
> the visual element.
> The correct name for the root class of "BlBaseAnimation" should be
> "BlPostAction" - a valuable that is guaranteed to be evaluated in the
> beginning of every frame before anything else. We have already a deferred
> action but they are only evaluated when there is enough time between frames.
> "BlBaseAnimation" should be renamed to something line "BlElementAnimation"
> that is guaranteed to be bound to a visual element and stops itself if
> element is no more in the scene graph by checking that explicitly before
> doing every animation step.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> On 2 December 2017 at 16:35, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Aliaksei Syrel wrote
>> >  Also, what is the lifetime of an infinite animation?
>> > Do you have any particular use-case for animations?
>>
>> I hacked together a simplified stepping animation (may not be in the right
>> place in the class hierarchy). Here's a pull request to discuss
>> https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Bloc/pull/37
>>

>> -----
>> Cheers,
>> Sean
>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Bloc Feedback

Ben Coman

On 5 December 2017 at 05:19, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aliaksei

Read again this sentence :)

 "BlPostAction" - a valuable that is guaranteed to be evaluated in the
beginning of every frame before anything else.

MAy be BlPostAction should be renamed BlEarlyAction

BlPreAction