Bloc: Simulating "Worlds"

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Posted to Discord, but the ML is probably a better venue for discussion…

Looks like it's time for my annual Bloc Dream check in ha ha!

Are we any closer to World simulation, meaning controlling all the
dependencies (e.g. by a test harness)?

We discussed this last year
(http://forum.world.st/Bloc-Space-within-a-Space-tp4877474.html &
http://forum.world.st/bloc-status-update-june-2016-tp4901988p4902319.html)
and touched on it the year before
(http://forum.world.st/Bloc-Roadmap-tp4816171p4816769.html).

It's essential for the world to be built up from building blocks which make
few assumptions other than their communication protocol and can be easily
plugged in and out by a courageous user. A test case for this, which opens
up many exciting possibilities (imagine I want to control time in my space
e.g. run a simulation at 10x speed...), would be to have a world within a
world. I dabbled with this idea a bit in Morphic, but quickly became
frustrated because Morphic makes too many assumptions e.g. relying on
globals and hardcoded classes. Smalltalk is at heart a simulation bench and
the inability to simulate the IDE itself has felt like heavy shackles when I
tried to implement several possible-blue-plane ideas in the past.

Thanks for all the hard work pushing forward. I am persistent with this
particular request especially because this use case forces a design that is
very modular and testable, and is not something that could easily be "tacked
on" late in development, but rather something that rightly should be baked
in via TDD!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc: Simulating "Worlds"

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> Looks like it's time for my annual Bloc Dream check in ha ha!

[crickets chirping]…
One year too many?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc: Simulating "Worlds"

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> Sean P. DeNigris wrote
>> Looks like it's time for my annual Bloc Dream check in ha ha!
> [crickets chirping]…
> One year too many?

I committed a Bloc fix. Does that earn me a reply? ;-)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc: Simulating "Worlds"

Aliaksei Syrel
"a reply"

^^ here you go, Sean :)

P.S. I will reply here with an example when it is done. We need to simulate bloc spaces exactly as you described to record gifs and videos without frame drop at 60fps.

Cheers,
Alex

On 27 March 2018 at 19:36, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> Sean P. DeNigris wrote
>> Looks like it's time for my annual Bloc Dream check in ha ha!
> [crickets chirping]…
> One year too many?

I committed a Bloc fix. Does that earn me a reply? ;-)

Re: Bloc: Simulating "Worlds"

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
> "a reply"

Ha ha. Thanks, that clears it up nicely. I'm all set ;)

Aliaksei Syrel wrote
> P.S. I will reply here with an example when it is done.

Looking forward to it :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean