Bloc Tutorial Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I did a native English review pass on the first half and submitted a PR on
GH.

A few other items:
- When clipping is used to initially draw the card outline as a rounded
rect, instead of using the rect as a path, it's not immediately obvious why
this is done. It's only way later when the cross is drawn on the back of the
card that one /may/ realize that it's so card contents (e.g. the cross)
don't get drawn outside the rounded bounds. It would be good to explain this
upfront.
- The booklet reached from the GH readme seems out of sync with Bloc. I had
to alter a lot of the animations from the loaded code e.g.
BlTransformAnimation did not exist (I used BlScaleAnimation instead),
animations didn't understand #absolute, ` animation startOn: target` needed
to be changed to `animation target: target; start`, etc.

Otherwise a very nice tutorial. Thanks!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Bloc Tutorial Feedback

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks Sean I will have a look when I get some time.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 4:41 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did a native English review pass on the first half and submitted a PR on
> GH.
>
> A few other items:
> - When clipping is used to initially draw the card outline as a rounded
> rect, instead of using the rect as a path, it's not immediately obvious why
> this is done. It's only way later when the cross is drawn on the back of the
> card that one /may/ realize that it's so card contents (e.g. the cross)
> don't get drawn outside the rounded bounds. It would be good to explain this
> upfront.
> - The booklet reached from the GH readme seems out of sync with Bloc. I had
> to alter a lot of the animations from the loaded code e.g.
> BlTransformAnimation did not exist (I used BlScaleAnimation instead),
> animations didn't understand #absolute, ` animation startOn: target` needed
> to be changed to `animation target: target; start`, etc.
>
> Otherwise a very nice tutorial. Thanks!
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Bloc Tutorial Feedback

Stephane Ducasse-3
Aliaksei told me that he should do another pass to add animations and
layout chapters.
I imagine that he did some refactorings so this is good that you spotted them.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Sean I will have a look when I get some time.
>

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 4:41 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I did a native English review pass on the first half and submitted a PR on
>> GH.
>>
>> A few other items:
>> - When clipping is used to initially draw the card outline as a rounded
>> rect, instead of using the rect as a path, it's not immediately obvious why
>> this is done. It's only way later when the cross is drawn on the back of the
>> card that one /may/ realize that it's so card contents (e.g. the cross)
>> don't get drawn outside the rounded bounds. It would be good to explain this
>> upfront.
>> - The booklet reached from the GH readme seems out of sync with Bloc. I had
>> to alter a lot of the animations from the loaded code e.g.
>> BlTransformAnimation did not exist (I used BlScaleAnimation instead),
>> animations didn't understand #absolute, ` animation startOn: target` needed
>> to be changed to `animation target: target; start`, etc.
>>
>> Otherwise a very nice tutorial. Thanks!
>>

>> -----
>> Cheers,
>> Sean
>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Bloc Tutorial Feedback

Aliaksei Syrel
Hi Sean,

That is awesome, thank you! :)

- The booklet reached from the GH readme seems out of sync with Bloc. I had
to alter a lot of the animations from the loaded code e.g.
BlTransformAnimation did not exist (I used BlScaleAnimation instead),
animations didn't understand #absolute, ` animation startOn: target` needed
to be changed to `animation target: target; start`, etc.

Tutorial requires you to load a stable version of Bloc from pharo6.1 branch. However, iceberg does not do that and instead loads an ancient bloc version from #master branch because you probably have a shared repo of bloc somewhere on your machine.
The tutorial's code is up-to date :)

Could you try to remove any bloc clones from you computer, take a fresh pharo6.1 image and install Tutorial following the readme? (https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Tutorials)

Cheers,
Alex

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Sean I will have a look when I get some time.
>

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 4:41 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I did a native English review pass on the first half and submitted a PR on
>> GH.
>>
>> A few other items:
>> - When clipping is used to initially draw the card outline as a rounded
>> rect, instead of using the rect as a path, it's not immediately obvious why
>> this is done. It's only way later when the cross is drawn on the back of the
>> card that one /may/ realize that it's so card contents (e.g. the cross)
>> don't get drawn outside the rounded bounds. It would be good to explain this
>> upfront.
>> - The booklet reached from the GH readme seems out of sync with Bloc. I had
>> to alter a lot of the animations from the loaded code e.g.
>> BlTransformAnimation did not exist (I used BlScaleAnimation instead),
>> animations didn't understand #absolute, ` animation startOn: target` needed
>> to be changed to `animation target: target; start`, etc.
>>
>> Otherwise a very nice tutorial. Thanks!
>>

>> -----
>> Cheers,
>> Sean
>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Bloc Tutorial Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Aliaksei Syrel wrote
> you probably have a shared repo of bloc
> somewhere on your machine.
> The tutorial's code is up-to date :)

Aha! Yes, okay. I will (hopefully) get used to that gotcha soon!!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean