Block/Brick

Steve Quezadas
I am trying to experiment with Bloc and Brick. I downloaded the packages, and want to "play around with it" by experimenting with the examples in it. But how do I open the examples? The github page for both Block and Brick doesn't really list much documentation.

Taking from an arbitrary Brick example, these things don't work:
foo := BrExamplesShowroom new. foo openInWorld.
- or -
BrExamplesShowroom openPlayer

Sorry for the naive quesiton.

- Steve

PS Is Brick/Block the thing to learn these days? Is this where development is heading?

Re: Block/Brick

Glenn Cavarlé
H Steve,

I just saw that you sent me a personal email about that.
Thanks for your interest in Brick, I have been slightly away from the
project for some time so maybe  Aliaksei or Doru could provide a better
answer.

For my part, since Brick is using GtExample, I'm just browsing examples by
inspecting the class.
When the inspector is open, you can browse and show examples in the tab
named "Examples".

test email wrote
> PS Is Brick/Block the thing to learn these days? Is this where development
> is heading?

Good question.
There are 2 actively developed projects : Spec2 and Bloc/Brick.
Some fresh info here:
http://forum.world.st/Explaining-Spec2-and-why-Bloc-is-on-the-roadmap-td5098841.html

Spec (https://github.com/pharo-spec/Spec) is a UI Builder which aim to be
backend-independent.
All "native" tools shipped in the Pharo image are developped using it (or
should be).
A new version is actively developed and already show great results. Spec2
should probably support Bloc/Brick as backend in the near future.

Brick is a redesigned widget layer on top of Bloc, a new UI infrastructure
which aim to replace Morphic, one day.
The original github repo is https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Brick but I
saw that the Feenk team (which actively develop it) forked the repo in
Febrary (https://github.com/feenkcom/Brick).
So i don't know what is exactly the current state of each version.

I hope I have answered your questions ;)
Cheers,

-----
Glenn Cavarlé

Glenn Cavarlé

Re: Block/Brick

Steve Quezadas
Glenn,

Thank you for your response. Ok, so you can browse examples by inspecting the class? Which classes do you mean because I can't seem to find any ones with examples. For example, here: https://steverstuff.s3.amazonaws.com/pharo2.png

I can't find the examples tag! Maybe I am looking in the wrong package. I am looking under the classes of package "Brick". Do you know what objects, specifically, that has an Examples tab?