BlockStyler: Make Blocks more recognizable in source code

BlockStyler: Make Blocks more recognizable in source code

Manuel Leuenberger
Hi everyone,

I built a little syntax highlighting extension for the Nautilus source code pane, which puts a background color behind blocks, so that nested blocks are easily recognizable.

Install with:

Metacello new
baseline: 'BlockStyler';
repository: '<a href="github://maenu/BlockStyler/repository" class="">github://maenu/BlockStyler/repository';
load

Doesn’t work with “Format as you read”, just as the IconStyler. If anybody has an idea how to integrate it properly into Nautilus as a plugin, let me know. Currently it’s an ugly meta-link hack to get access to the sourceTextModel.

Cheers,
Manuel

Re: BlockStyler: Make Blocks more recognizable in source code

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Manuel

This is coooooool.
How linked to nautilus it is?

Stef

Manuel

Re: BlockStyler: Make Blocks more recognizable in source code

Denis Kudriashov
Hi.

I will look. Maybe Calypso plugins are already able to do this kind of extensions

[...]

alistairgrant
Hi Manuel,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 01:52:17PM +0200, Manuel Leuenberger wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I built a little syntax highlighting extension for the Nautilus source
> code pane, which puts a background color behind blocks, so that nested
> blocks are easily recognizable.

This looks really nice, however the shading isn't at all visible (to me)
with the Pharo 3 (white) theme.

How much work is it to use themes and develop a white theme?

Thanks,
Alistair

> Install with:
>
> Metacello new
> baseline: 'BlockStyler';
> repository: 'github://maenu/BlockStyler/repository';
> load
>
> GitHub: https://github.com/maenu/BlockStyler
> <https://github.com/maenu/BlockStyler>
>
> Doesn???t work with ???Format as you read???, just as the IconStyler.
> If anybody has an idea how to integrate it properly into Nautilus as a
> plugin, let me know. Currently it???s an ugly meta-link hack to get
> access to the sourceTextModel.
>
> Cheers,
> Manuel

Re: BlockStyler: Make Blocks more recognizable in source code

Denis Kudriashov
And I did pull request https://github.com/maenu/BlockStyler/pull/1 which simplifies everything.
There are already IconStyler hierarchy for such kind of extensions. So I adopt your code for this and remove metalink tricks. Also I move settings directly to the BlockStyler class

[...]

Esteban A. Maringolo
Thank you!

This is really useful in the context of Seaside render blocks.

How hard would it be to also add vertical "lines" at the sides like in the following screenshot:
Imágenes integradas 1

Best regards!

El sept. 6, 2017 8:53 AM, "Manuel Leuenberger" <[hidden email]> escribió:
Hi everyone,

I built a little syntax highlighting extension for the Nautilus source code pane, which puts a background color behind blocks, so that nested blocks are easily recognizable.

Install with:

Metacello new
baseline: 'BlockStyler';
load

Doesn’t work with “Format as you read”, just as the IconStyler. If anybody has an idea how to integrate it properly into Nautilus as a plugin, let me know. Currently it’s an ugly meta-link hack to get access to the sourceTextModel.

Cheers,
Manuel

Manuel

Manuel

Re: BlockStyler: Make Blocks more recognizable in source code

CyrilFerlicot

On jeu. 7 sept. 2017 at 18:16, Manuel Leuenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, it has something similar now:

Hi,

I would like to get the ratio of "darkening"/"lightening" as a setting if possible. I find the change of color a little abrupt but since it is a personal taste I would like to customize only for myself. So a setting could be cool.

Else, this is a really cool plugin :) I'll definitively use it.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

highlight.png (253K) Download Attachment

Re: BlockStyler: Make Blocks more recognizable in source code

alistairgrant
Hi Manuel,

Thanks very much for making this available and taking the trouble to get
it working with the light theme as well.

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 06:37:12AM +0000, Cyril Ferlicot wrote:

> On jeu. 7 sept. 2017 at 18:16, Manuel Leuenberger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     Well, it has something similar now:
>
>     [cid]
>

> Hi,
>
> I would like to get the ratio of "darkening"/"lightening" as a setting if
> possible. I find the change of color a little abrupt but since it is a personal
> taste I would like to customize only for myself. So a setting could be cool.
>
> Else, this is a really cool plugin :) I'll definitively use it.

I was about to send exactly the same email.

When I first looked at the plugin with the dark theme (which I can't
use, as I can't see it clearly) the colour change seemed to be less
pronounced, but in the light theme, as Cyril says, it is too big a
change.

Thanks again,
Alistair

Re: BlockStyler: Make Blocks more recognizable in source code

Manuel Leuenberger
Hi Cyril,

There already is a setting to set the color with alpha: