Blocking vs non-blocking

Bruce Badger-3
Having had a chat with some people who know GemStone far better than I
(while at Smalltalk Solutions) it seems that it would be better to use
non-blocking socket reads (at least in GemStone).

After talking to some VisualWorks people, it seems that VisualWorks
quetly uses non-blocking socket reads, even when you think you are using
blocking reads (!).

So, would anyone have a problem with my moving to using non-blocking
socket reads explicitly in Swazoo?

Thanks,
        Bruce

Re: Blocking vs non-blocking

Joseph Bacanskas-4
Hi Bruce:

Sounds good to me!

On May 6, 2004, at 11:25 AM, Bruce Badger wrote:

> Having had a chat with some people who know GemStone far better than I
> (while at Smalltalk Solutions) it seems that it would be better to use
> non-blocking socket reads (at least in GemStone).
>
> After talking to some VisualWorks people, it seems that VisualWorks
> quetly uses non-blocking socket reads, even when you think you are
> using
> blocking reads (!).
>
> So, would anyone have a problem with my moving to using non-blocking
> socket reads explicitly in Swazoo?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

Thanks!!
Joseph Bacanskas [|]
--- I use Smalltalk.  My amp goes to eleven.

Re: Blocking vs non-blocking

Janko Mivšek
No problem for me either, actually it seems that it will be very usefull
thing. Thanks Bruce!

Best regards
Janko

Bruce Badger pravi:

> Having had a chat with some people who know GemStone far better than I
> (while at Smalltalk Solutions) it seems that it would be better to use
> non-blocking socket reads (at least in GemStone).
>
> After talking to some VisualWorks people, it seems that VisualWorks
> quetly uses non-blocking socket reads, even when you think you are using
> blocking reads (!).
>
> So, would anyone have a problem with my moving to using non-blocking
> socket reads explicitly in Swazoo?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

Janko Mivsek
Systems Architect
EraNova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenia
http://www.eranova.si

Re: Blocking vs non-blocking

Bruce Badger-3
OK then, chaps.  Watch this space. ... but don't hold your breath - it
may take a week or two to find the time to do the job.

All the best,
        Bruce