Blog post on the new Fast Table

EstebanLM
Hi,

I made a small blog post explaining a bit of the new fast table.
This is to encourage you to start using it and help me finish it :)

cheers,
Esteban

Re: Blog post on the new Fast Table

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Seems like a huge step forward.

Good examples.

Hopefully we can keep it simple and principled.

> On 02 Jul 2015, at 12:07, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I made a small blog post explaining a bit of the new fast table.
> This is to encourage you to start using it and help me finish it :)
>
> http://smallworks.eu/web/blog/2015-07-02-fast-table-for-pharo
>
> cheers,
> Esteban

Re: Blog post on the new Fast Table

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 02-07-15 12:07, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a small blog post explaining a bit of the new fast table.
> This is to encourage you to start using it and help me finish it :)
>
> http://smallworks.eu/web/blog/2015-07-02-fast-table-for-pharo

Nice!

I noticed that a startDrag: only happens when there is already a
selection. If the selection is empty you could select the element under
the hand as the selection, unless a modifier key is pressed telling you
that a multiple selection is supposed to happen instead of a drag.

Stephan

Re: Blog post on the new Fast Table

philippeback
Yes, very interesting work.

We need to get the "slow feel" of the environment go away, thanks for working on that, Esteban.

Is this something that would also address the slowness when we click on "Object" in Nautilus?

Phil

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02-07-15 12:07, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
Hi,

I made a small blog post explaining a bit of the new fast table.
This is to encourage you to start using it and help me finish it :)

http://smallworks.eu/web/blog/2015-07-02-fast-table-for-pharo

Nice!

I noticed that a startDrag: only happens when there is already a selection. If the selection is empty you could select the element under the hand as the selection, unless a modifier key is pressed telling you that a multiple selection is supposed to happen instead of a drag.

Stephan

Re: Blog post on the new Fast Table

Marcus Denker-4

> On 02 Jul 2015, at 14:32, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Yes, very interesting work.
>
> We need to get the "slow feel" of the environment go away, thanks for working on that, Esteban.
>
> Is this something that would also address the slowness when we click on "Object" in Nautilus?

Yes. If you enable it in Pharo5, It’s very fast.

Just do:

        Nautilus useExperimentalFastTable: true.

Object browse.

        Marcus

Re: Blog post on the new Fast Table

EstebanLM

> On 02 Jul 2015, at 14:43, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 02 Jul 2015, at 14:32, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Yes, very interesting work.
>>
>> We need to get the "slow feel" of the environment go away, thanks for working on that, Esteban.
>>
>> Is this something that would also address the slowness when we click on "Object" in Nautilus?
>>

> Yes. If you enable it in Pharo5, It’s very fast.
>
> Just do:
>
> Nautilus useExperimentalFastTable: true.
>

> Object browse.

yep :)
it reduces (in my machine) load times from ~4s to ~200ms :)
but… is still not complete and there are some bugs around, so we need to work on it before make it default :(

Esteban

> Marcus

Re: Blog post on the new Fast Table

Ben Coman
On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 6:07 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a small blog post explaining a bit of the new fast table.
> This is to encourage you to start using it and help me finish it :)
>
> http://smallworks.eu/web/blog/2015-07-02-fast-table-for-pharo

Thats great news.   Thanks for the description of existing problems
and design philosophy.  I hope to have a look soon.
cheers -ben

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Blog post on the new Fast Table

stepharo

Le 2/7/15 14:32, [hidden email] a écrit :
Yes, very interesting work.

We need to get the "slow feel" of the environment go away, thanks for working on that, Esteban.

Is this something that would also address the slowness when we click on "Object" in Nautilus?

Yes
We will work with Frank to use them instead of PluggableListMorph.

Phil

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02-07-15 12:07, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
Hi,

I made a small blog post explaining a bit of the new fast table.
This is to encourage you to start using it and help me finish it :)

http://smallworks.eu/web/blog/2015-07-02-fast-table-for-pharo

Nice!

I noticed that a startDrag: only happens when there is already a selection. If the selection is empty you could select the element under the hand as the selection, unless a modifier key is pressed telling you that a multiple selection is supposed to happen instead of a drag.

Stephan

Re: Blog post on the new Fast Table

stepharo
The really first time it lags a bit (probably because the icons are
computed).
But after it is a real pleasure.
I'm sorry esteban but we will enable it :)
We should not keep this little diamond in the safe better to use it in a
necklace and shine.

Stef

Le 2/7/15 14:56, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :

>> On 02 Jul 2015, at 14:43, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 02 Jul 2015, at 14:32, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, very interesting work.
>>>
>>> We need to get the "slow feel" of the environment go away, thanks for working on that, Esteban.
>>>
>>> Is this something that would also address the slowness when we click on "Object" in Nautilus?
>>>
>> Yes. If you enable it in Pharo5, It’s very fast.
>>
>> Just do:
>>
>> Nautilus useExperimentalFastTable: true.
>>

>> Object browse.
> yep :)
> it reduces (in my machine) load times from ~4s to ~200ms :)
> but… is still not complete and there are some bugs around, so we need to work on it before make it default :(
>
> Esteban
>

>> Marcus

Re: Blog post on the new Fast Table

HilaireFernandes
Sooooo great!

Thanks a lot

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Blog post on the new Fast Table

EstebanLM

> On 02 Jul 2015, at 23:12, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The really first time it lags a bit (probably because the icons are computed).

mmm… it shouldn’t :)

> But after it is a real pleasure.
> I'm sorry esteban but we will enable it :)
> We should not keep this little diamond in the safe better to use it in a necklace and shine.

but there are still some bugs there, so I would prefer to wait a bit… check the tests of PackageTreeNautilusTest when activated…

of course… you can help me fix it :)

Esteban