Bloomberg API

Charles A. Monteiro-2
Has anybody built anything with the Bloomberg API that they are willing to
share?

thanks

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

Re: Bloomberg API

David Long @ gmail
Hi Charles,

if you happen to find one, could you please let me know? It would be good to add this to the ADK project.

Respectfully,

David

On 1/23/07, Charles A. Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anybody built anything with the Bloomberg API that they are willing to
share?

thanks

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://www.monteirosfusion.com/forum
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

--
David Long
Savant Connect Technical Services
CEO, Satellite Forces
Wakefield Operations
ph) 613 796 3048
e) [hidden email]
http://satelliteforces.ca
"Nunquam cui nomen Long est pugna"

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations.
Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Re: Bloomberg API

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: Bloomberg API

What is this ADK project I keep hearing about?

Thanks,

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

        http://www.monteirosfusion.com/forum <http://www.monteirosfusion.com/forum>
        http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

--
David Long
Savant Connect Technical Services
CEO, Satellite Forces
Wakefield Operations
ph) 613 796 3048
e) [hidden email]
http://satelliteforces.ca
"Nunquam cui nomen Long est pugna"

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations.
Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Re: Bloomberg API

David Long @ gmail
Hi Boris,

The ADK project is "Atlantis Developers Kit", it's an open source project which is located here: http://adk.sourceforge.net. The team has grown to 12 working in the areas of technology, packaging, testing, market research and web design. We have opened an API into the Atlantis code and are using the project to increase the amount of systems integration.

We could use more Smalltalk Developers by the way. The project is sustained by Satellite Forces and self funding. I'm working on increasing this as things develop.

David

On 1/23/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:

What is this ADK project I keep hearing about?

Thanks,

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

AW: Bloomberg API

Christian Haider
smallCharts connects to Bloomberg via the COM-API.
I would be willing to share, but I am not sure about the legal
restrictions...

Cheers,
        Christian

Smalltalked Visuals GmbH
Christian Haider
Wiesbaden, Germany
http://www.smallCharts.de

Hello Christian.

You'd first need to check the restrictions on what you have. For reference, here is the info on the GPL:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

In terms of licensing,  the ADK Project has two streams, one is called ADK and one is called ADK+. The ADK is licensed under the GPL. The ADK+ stream includes all of the ADK and any other contributions that third parties want to make under a seperate license agreement for those parts only. We package the ADK+ so that useful third party applications can be bundled in the distro. So, that might be an option for you. You may supply your own license for anything that goes into ADK+.

Respectfully,

David

--
David Long
Savant Connect Technical Services
CEO, Satellite Forces
Wakefield Operations
ph) 613 796 3048
e) [hidden email]
http://satelliteforces.ca
"Nunquam cui nomen Long est pugna"

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations.
Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

RE: Bloomberg API

Glazier, Sean
I will have to check it out with chip dice of forest investment since I wrote it for him in my spare time.

Sean

smallCharts connects to Bloomberg via the COM-API.
I would be willing to share, but I am not sure about the legal
restrictions...

Cheers,
        Christian

Smalltalked Visuals GmbH
Christian Haider
Wiesbaden, Germany
http://www.smallCharts.de

I guess I was just curious what its good for and what the value of it is for contributors; isn't Atlantis a proprietary/closed commercial system/application?

Regards,

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

        http://www.smallCharts.de <http://www.smallCharts.de>

Dmytryk, Igor
I would be interested as well.  I have done some preliminary work and its on my to-do list for this year.  Sounds like it is of interest to a number of people.

Igor

I will have to check it out with chip dice of forest investment since I wrote it for him in my spare time.

Sean

smallCharts connects to Bloomberg via the COM-API.
I would be willing to share, but I am not sure about the legal restrictions...

Cheers,
        Christian

Smalltalked Visuals GmbH
Christian Haider
Wiesbaden, Germany
http://www.smallCharts.de

I am cc’ng chip Dice of forest investments on this so he is in the loop. He did some great work with writing some classes that manage the live pricing etc. so you guys might want to talk about how he uses it.

Sean

smallCharts connects to Bloomberg via the COM-API.
I would be willing to share, but I am not sure about the legal
restrictions...

Cheers,
        Christian

Smalltalked Visuals GmbH
Christian Haider
Wiesbaden, Germany
http://www.smallCharts.de

Atlantis was proprietary and closed up to version 5. For version 6, we are publishing Smalltalk code from Atlantis into the Cincom Public Repository. Version 6 can be thought of like an API wrapper that goes around Atlantis 5. I attached a diagram which should help show what we're working on. This has only just started, but will be an ongoing process. Atlantis is based on the theory of using an Object Oriented Finite State Machine to generate a control system and BPM solution. In Atlantis 6, we are opening the object oriented parts to other developers, so they can make their own subclasses and then inject them straight into Atlantis from VisualWorks. As well, if we have anything good we want to contribute, then anyone can feel free to make use of that for whatever they would like.

The ADK open source project is embracing the same concept for other languages and applications. Web Services (SOAP/WSDL) is the common interface for all of this.

With the inclusion of PayPal and financial technology, this can eventually produce a software as a service system, working from VisualWorks and connecting directly to customers. A way to go before that is working yet. We just started this in December of 2006.

[...]

I forgot the attachment.

[...]

Atlantis6SoftwareArchitecture.jpg (44K) Download Attachment

AW: Bloomberg API

Christian Haider
Nachricht
Hi David,

sorry, but I was a bit too quick offering my help I guess :-(

I looked up your projects (Atlantis) and companies and I fail to understand your request.
As I understand, Atlantis is a closed and proprietory system for which you seek free contributions so that your system will be more valuable to you and your customers. (besides, you want the contributions to be GPLed, which I dont like in the first place, without you GPLing Atlantis - I just dont get your idea here).

I guess, I am missing (or dont understand) the "noble-cause" point of your project, which would make people work for free.

Especially with Bloomberg the matter is quite special. One can only use the Bloomberg-API when one has a Bloomberg account, which is quite expensive and puts any project involving it in a definitive commercial space. Also, Bloomberg requires that all data from Bloomberg stay on the Bloomberg machine, so that the idea of having an adaptor on the Bloomberg-Terminal feeding other systems, is either not allowed or requires intensive case by case negotiations with Bloomberg.

But, on the bright side, Bloomberg offers a C, COM and .net API (and also a Server-API) which they documented very well. So, if you need to interface Bloomberg, it is not very difficult at all (if you have a Bloomberg account for tests).

Cheers and good luck with your projects,
    Christian

Smalltalked Visuals GmbH
Christian Haider
Luxemburgplatz 3
65185 Wiesbaden, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0611) 30 31 47
Fax: +49 (0611) 30 31 43

<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html" target=_blank>http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

        <A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.smallCharts.de" target=_blank>http://www.smallCharts.de <<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.smallCharts.de" target=_blank> http://www.smallCharts.de>

--
<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://satelliteforces.ca" target=_blank>http://satelliteforces.ca
[...]

Good morning Christian.

Thanks for your email. It's good for me to be able to see your standpoint. Atlantis was proprietary up to version 5. For version 6, we are actually begining the process of publishing some of the Atlantis code now for all to see. We gave some thought to the GPL question and decided to go with two streams for packaging. The ADK stream is licensed under the GPL. There is a second stream which we call ADK+ "ADK Plus". This stream contains the ADK and any other licensed tools that other companies may want to contribute as bundle. In that case, they can send in their own licensing to be included if an end user wants to use that particular tool of ADK+. This is still all quite new, but that is the general approach.

From the Smalltalk perspective of the ADK, we would like to see more Object Oriented Finite State Machines used in the general areas of control systems and business process management. The ADK is designed so that we can publish all of our base classes that a developer would need to make this work: States, Activities, G roups, Elements, Transitions, Events, and Actions. We also will be publishing some controllers and some manager / utility classes which help this all go. These could be handy for a variety of other Smalltalk applications. One of the advantages that some other languages, such as C++ have, is that they impose structure to their syntax. There is a dialog among experts as to which approach is the best. With the ADK, and our approach to build FSMs in Smalltalk, the goal is to make a new hybrid method, a sort of best of breeds, which allows for more structured development in a Smalltalk domain, and brides that with the structured approach of other languages. We've selected Web Services to be the cornerstone for all of this.

We've answer the question with regard to Bloomberg material going to the ADK. In any event, worth a question at least. The good news is that the Bllomberg API is documented, I can see we would need to build those Smalltalk base classes ourselves. I think what we'll do for now is analyze these requirements a bit more, and look at it from a marketing perspective first. I'd like to find out what it would be worth to potential customers if we can get some base libraries going in Smalltalk.

You've also touched on a good question, which is one that a lot of people are asking, how does one make money with Open Source? We have a business model which answers this question for the ADK. I will be making an announcement on this, hopefully around the time of Smalltalk Solutions.

Great feedback. This is the first detailed interest we've had in our project from this mailing list. So, many thanks.

Respectfully,

David Long

[...]

Re: AW: Bloomberg API

Charles A. Monteiro-2
Christian:

I could not find any documentation on Bloomberg's server side API i.e. not
on their web site. We are actually not a customer but our customers are.
Anyhow, if you know how to get to this server side api of Bloomberg pls
let me know. Of course, I'm trying to get our one of customer to dig for
me but its slow moving.

thanks in advance,

-Charles

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://www.monteirosfusion.com
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

AW: AW: Bloomberg API

Christian Haider
You can get the docs only through Bloomberg - I never saw anything on the
internet myself.
When logged-in, type "MAPI". You'll find everything there.

Cheers,
        Christian