BlueInk formatting (line length) Pharo5

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi guys
I can't find how to increase the line length on the new Blue Ink formatter.

On the old formatter there was the option: "Max line length", but it there
isn't anymore.
TIA
Davide

Re: BlueInk formatting (line length) Pharo5

Nicolai Hess-3-2

I can't find how to increase the line length on the new Blue Ink formatter.

On the old formatter there was the option: "Max line length", but it there
isn't anymore.

It is missing. It is initialized to be "70" but not configurable (no settings option).

TIA
Davide

Re: BlueInk formatting (line length) Pharo5

Davide Varvello
Hi Nicolai,
Thanks for your reply.

Wow, 70 is not so much, especially because standard screens are wide, 16:9 sized. It's a pity it is not configurable.

Cheers
Davide

Nicolai Hess-3-2 wrote

> [...]

Peter Uhnak
On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:50:41PM -0700, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:48:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: BlueInk formatting (line length) Pharo5
>
> Hi Nicolai,
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Wow, 70 is not so much, especially because standard screens are wide, 16:9
> sized. It's a pity it is not configurable.

But people normally code in Nautilus, where the code pane is actually quite small.
But hard-coded line length explains some strange behavior I was experiencing... I thought that it was based on real nautilus width.

Peter

Am 19.08.2016 9:05 vorm. schrieb "Peter Uhnak" <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:50:41PM -0700, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:48:44 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: BlueInk formatting (line length) Pharo5
> >
> > Hi Nicolai,
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > Wow, 70 is not so much, especially because standard screens are wide, 16:9
> > sized. It's a pity it is not configurable.
>
> But people normally code in Nautilus, where the code pane is actually quite small.
> But hard-coded line length explains some strange behavior I was experiencing... I thought that it was based on real nautilus width.
>
> Peter

Yes, at some places it depends on the textarea width. But this had a bad effect in the diff view.
As one diff pane is slightly wider, diffing two version of a method with the same code but different fornatting, was showing a difference, even with pretty printing turned on, as the lines were broken at different positions.

Re: BlueInk formatting (line length) Pharo5

stepharo
It should not be difficult to add a configuration.

Give a try. It is a nice way to get you happy.

Re: BlueInk formatting (line length) Pharo5

Davide Varvello
Hi Stef,
I don't know how to write a configuration, is there some documentation anywhere?

Actually I searched for the hardcoded 70 in the image

and I eventually ended in
BIPrettyPrinterContext>>maxLineLength: anObject

I ignored anObject and I hardcoded a return value of 200, my favorite max length.
Davide

stepharo wrote
It should not be difficult to add a configuration.

Give a try. It is a nice way to get you happy.

Re: BlueInk formatting (line length) Pharo5

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Stef,
I don't know how to write a configuration, is there some documentation
anywhere?

Actually I searched for the hardcoded 70 in the image

and I eventually ended in
BIPrettyPrinterContext>>maxLineLength: anObject

I ignored anObject and I hardcoded a return value of 200, my favorite max
length.
Davide

stepharo wrote
> It should not be difficult to add a configuration.
>
> Give a try. It is a nice way to get you happy.
>
> Stef

Re: BlueInk formatting (line length) Pharo5

stepharo
Have a look at the Setting chapter in the deep into pharo book.
Everything is nicely explained there.

Stef