Book - A Mentoring Course on Smalltalk

recursive
Thinking of buy this book, anybody read it ?
Is it a basic st book or more advanced and is it any good ?
TIA
Jon

Re: Book - A Mentoring Course on Smalltalk

Mathieu van Echtelt-3
The book is really good, I enjoyed it very much, but the title doesn't
reflect what you would expect, at least what I expected; it is not
that you learn the Smalltalk syntax or tools, it is more "A mentoring
course on clear and creative thinking". (And smalltalk can help you
with that!)
Just like Beck's Smalltalk best practices book, I believe this book is
interesting for a much broader audience than the Smalltalk audience
alone. The author's (Andres Valloud) other book about hashing is also
very interesting; it's about a (more or less scientific) well thought
through approach to analyze alternative algorithms (in this case,
hashing algorithms).

greetings, Mathieu van Echtelt

--
AG5
Timorplein 37

T  020  4630942
F  020  4630946

Re: Book - A Mentoring Course on Smalltalk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I liked it so much, I wrote a review on my blog @ http://seandenigris.com/blog/?p=573

Bottom line - don't only buy it, but have it shipped overnight so you don't have to code another 2 days without it ;-)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Book - A Mentoring Course on Smalltalk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I worked through all the code in the book and uploaded it to SqS (but forgot to announce to the list).  Andres said the code is MIT, so enjoy!

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MentoringCourse'
    user: 'SD'
    password: ''