Book, Working Effectively with Legacy Code

Book, Working Effectively with Legacy Code

Ben Coman
Interesting to see this is the top mentioned book on stackoverflow.
I wonder if Moose can facilitate any of its contained topics
and maybe leverage its popularity.

</randomThoughForTheDay>

cheers -ben

Re: Book, Working Effectively with Legacy Code

rainer.winkler

Hi Ben,

Chapter 16 "I Don´t Understand the Code Well Enough to Change It". Michael C. Feathers proposes sketching to understand the code better. Moose allows it to automatize and improve this manual work. But before a sketch can be drawn the code has to be analyzed. And a sketch has to be adapted if the code changes.

Moose allows to automatize this. You can generate diagrams automatically. My impression is, that I still needed an application on top of Moose to make smaller diagrams that describe a certain aspect of a coding. I needed some way to limit the number of elements displayed, specify their positions and add comments to them. I do this currently in a Smalltalk application I developed on top of Moose and Roassal. It is NOT only for SAP applications as might seem. The Github Repository that links to the Smalltalkhub page: https://github.com/RainerWinkler/Moose-Diagram

I made a short video to show I am currently using Moose and this application to work with this kind of sketches. Even though it is an early version, I use it near to every day in my projects: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0BTdgDL6XSLeHB4aTZxTkdSNXc

Cheers,

Rainer

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Sorry, I added the wrong link to the video : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0BTdgDL6XSLVU9aemtuaFVPT1U

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Re: Book, Working Effectively with Legacy Code

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Thanks Reiner,

When I click the link, I'm asked to choose a Google account. There is any way to see the video without a Google account? (some of us still think that Big Brother Marketing (TM ;-) ) is undesirable).

Cheers,

Offray

On 14/02/17 07:50, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Nice work!
Is the SAP exporter available?  I'm actually not familiar with
programming SAP.  I'm just a user of it, but with it maybe I could
lead others in the company to try Pharo.

cheers -ben

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 9:15 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, I added the wrong link to the video :
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0BTdgDL6XSLVU9aemtuaFVPT1U
>

> ________________________________
> -----Original-Nachricht-----
> Von: [hidden email]
> An: "Moose-related development" <[hidden email]>
> Datum: 02/14/17 13:50
> Betreff: [Moose-dev] Re: Book, Working Effectively with Legacy Code
>

> Hi Ben,
>

> Chapter 16 "I Don´t Understand the Code Well Enough to Change It". Michael
> C. Feathers proposes sketching to understand the code better. Moose allows
> it to automatize and improve this manual work. But before a sketch can be
> drawn the code has to be analyzed. And a sketch has to be adapted if the
> code changes.
>

> Moose allows to automatize this. You can generate diagrams automatically. My
> impression is, that I still needed an application on top of Moose to make
> smaller diagrams that describe a certain aspect of a coding. I needed some
> way to limit the number of elements displayed, specify their positions and
> add comments to them. I do this currently in a Smalltalk application I
> developed on top of Moose and Roassal. It is NOT only for SAP applications
> as might seem. The Github Repository that links to the Smalltalkhub page:
> https://github.com/RainerWinkler/Moose-Diagram
>

> I made a short video to show I am currently using Moose and this application
> to work with this kind of sketches. Even though it is an early version, I
> use it near to every day in my projects:
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0BTdgDL6XSLeHB4aTZxTkdSNXc
>

> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

> ________________________________
> -----Original-Nachricht-----
> Von: "Ben Coman" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Moose-related development" <[hidden email]>
> Datum: 02/14/17 13:16
> Betreff: [Moose-dev] Book, Working Effectively with Legacy Code
>
> Interesting to see this is the top mentioned book on stackoverflow.
> I wonder if Moose can facilitate any of its contained topics
> and maybe leverage its popularity.
>
> </randomThoughForTheDay>
>
> cheers -ben

Re: Book, Working Effectively with Legacy Code

rainer.winkler

Hi Ben,

the SAP exporter is available. I did not add a link to prevent the misunderstanding that the other tool is specific for SAP.

You can download it from from https://github.com/RainerWinkler/Moose-FAMIX-SAP-Extractor

It is not finished, please see the issues list. I am currently adapting the core logic to have better tests. This part of the work is currently not shared as the main development is done with global classes, and I do not yet use ABAPGit (https://github.com/larshp/abapGit) to share this. I will add more object types in the next weeks.

Cheers,

Rainer

PS: As I use both tools together, they have a tendency to become somehow connected. I am for instance currently mapping all SAP elements to FAMIX package, class, method and attribute. This makes the work in the other tool easier. I add modifiers if needed to specify.

-----Original-Nachricht-----