Bootable Squeak

Ryan Zerby-2
Has this project come any closer to reality in the past year?  I kind of lost track of it.

Re: Bootable Squeak

David Mitchell-10
There have been lots of bootable squeaks.

Just before 2000, I used to carry around a 2.2 mini image on a 1.44MB
floppy that worked off OSKit (back when machines had floppies!).
http://lists.tunes.org/archives/tunes/1999-October/002363.html

Last year, I had a bootable puppy linux key that I put the Seaside One
Click experience on. With a 1GB key, it wasn't even challenging.
http://news.squeak.org/2007/11/10/seaside-one-click-experience/

Recently, there was Squeakware, made from Slax:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-October/096016.html

What are you looking for?

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Ryan Zerby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has this project come any closer to reality in the past year?  I kind of
> lost track of it.

Re: Bootable Squeak

Michael Haupt-3
Hi,

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:48 PM, David Mitchell
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> There have been lots of bootable squeaks.

to add to your list, there is also SqueakNOS: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1762

It seems to be rather dead, though...

Best,

Michael

Re: Bootable Squeak

Ryan Zerby-2
I'm not sure what I'm looking for, exactly... I guess the "full squeak experience?"

I'm thinking about ubiquitous computing, wearables, etc.... small machines that may require on-the-spot application modification. What smalltalk was designed for.I'm looking to get rid of some of the overhead of the OS and be able to breath some fun/life back into some less powerful machines.

Specifically, I have all the parts necessary for a wearable computer (a rather bulky one..) and would like to use squeak on it.

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:48 AM, David Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
There have been lots of bootable squeaks.

Just before 2000, I used to carry around a 2.2 mini image on a 1.44MB
floppy that worked off OSKit (back when machines had floppies!).
http://lists.tunes.org/archives/tunes/1999-October/002363.html

Last year, I had a bootable puppy linux key that I put the Seaside One
Click experience on. With a 1GB key, it wasn't even challenging.
http://news.squeak.org/2007/11/10/seaside-one-click-experience/

Recently, there was Squeakware, made from Slax:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-October/096016.html

What are you looking for?

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Ryan Zerby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has this project come any closer to reality in the past year?  I kind of
> lost track of it.

Re: Bootable Squeak

David Zmick
SqueakNOS is not completely dead, however, it only supports serial mice.  And, to answer the question... I would use the slax squeak thing, or some minimilized linux to run squeak on.  Then you could also easily change your image you were running as well!

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Ryan Zerby <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure what I'm looking for, exactly... I guess the "full squeak experience?"

I'm thinking about ubiquitous computing, wearables, etc.... small machines that may require on-the-spot application modification. What smalltalk was designed for.I'm looking to get rid of some of the overhead of the OS and be able to breath some fun/life back into some less powerful machines.

Specifically, I have all the parts necessary for a wearable computer (a rather bulky one..) and would like to use squeak on it.

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:48 AM, David Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
There have been lots of bootable squeaks.

Just before 2000, I used to carry around a 2.2 mini image on a 1.44MB
floppy that worked off OSKit (back when machines had floppies!).
http://lists.tunes.org/archives/tunes/1999-October/002363.html

Last year, I had a bootable puppy linux key that I put the Seaside One
Click experience on. With a 1GB key, it wasn't even challenging.
http://news.squeak.org/2007/11/10/seaside-one-click-experience/

Recently, there was Squeakware, made from Slax:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-October/096016.html

What are you looking for?

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Ryan Zerby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has this project come any closer to reality in the past year?  I kind of
> lost track of it.

David Zmick
/dz0004455\
http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
http://dz0004455.blogspot.com

Re: Bootable Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
>SqueakNOS is not completely dead, however, it only supports serial mice.
>And, to answer the question... I would use the slax squeak thing, or some
>minimilized linux to run squeak on.  Then you could also easily change your
>image you were running as well!

I also like the idea of using a minimal linux to run squeak on.  Linux has a lot
of developers supporting it on many platforms.  Why not build on their work and
not redo that work by writing Squeak drivers for keyboards, mice and other
devices.  Just hide Linux as best you can, use it for the low level stuff and
have Squeak do everything else.

Lou

Re: Re: Bootable Squeak

David Zmick
Right, sorry for a delayed reply, but, That is a very good idea, I was actually going to do that at one point, but I have no use for it, so I decided not to(and I am still learning linux) you could use linux from scratch! thats a good project