Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Tommaso DS
I wonder if it is possible to use Bootstrap 3 with Amber.

The problem I see (and that I have tested) is that Bootrstrap 3 requires JQuery 2, while Amber user Bootstrap 2 and JQuery 1.*. Including the new version of the libraries clearly clashes with the internals of Amber.
Is there a way to use requireJs to limit the scope of the two libraries or it is just not possible at the moment without breaking the Amber environment?

If this is not the case, is Amber going to stick with Boostrap 2 for long enough to justify the use of the old library for developing new projects?

Thanks!

Re: Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Hannes Hirzel
> I wonder if it is possible to use Bootstrap 3 with Amber.
>
> The problem I see (and that I have tested) is that Bootrstrap 3 requires
> JQuery 2, while Amber user Bootstrap 2 and JQuery 1.*. Including the new
> version of the libraries clearly clashes with the internals of Amber.

Could you please elaborate a bit what you have observed so far?

--Hannes

> Is there a way to use requireJs to limit the scope of the two libraries or
> it is just not possible at the moment without breaking the Amber
> environment?
>
> If this is not the case, is Amber going to stick with Boostrap 2 for long
> enough to justify the use of the old library for developing new projects?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Tommaso DS
> I wonder if it is possible to use Bootstrap 3 with Amber.
>
> The problem I see (and that I have tested) is that Bootrstrap 3 requires
> JQuery 2, while Amber user Bootstrap 2 and JQuery 1.*. Including the new
> version of the libraries clearly clashes with the internals of Amber.

Could you please elaborate a bit what you have observed so far?

--Hannes

Sure!

I tried to use Bootstrap 3 a month ago, and after some weird behaviours I noticed that including some javascript files from bootstrap 3 caused some troubles with helios (e.g., commit packages didn't work).
Honestly I don't know if it is caused by jquery 2 or by the Bootstrap js code.
Also, I wonder if the Bootstrap 3 css could cause rendering problems with Helios, since Bootstrap 3 is not backwards compatible with Bootstrap 2.

Let me know if you need more specific information or if you want me to try something.

Re: Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Siemen Baader
I am interested in this too. I managed to run bootstrap 2 & 3 (through Bootswatch) alongside each other, rudimentary notes on how to are in the Readme here:

https://github.com/siemenbaader/amber-sketchcode

IMHO, what Helios uses as deps should not affect the amber app. I don't know how to do this cleanly in practice; maybe using two different bower targets.

-- Siemen

On 03 Jun 2014, at 10:31, [hidden email] wrote:

> I wonder if it is possible to use Bootstrap 3 with Amber.
>
> The problem I see (and that I have tested) is that Bootrstrap 3 requires
> JQuery 2, while Amber user Bootstrap 2 and JQuery 1.*. Including the new
> version of the libraries clearly clashes with the internals of Amber.

Could you please elaborate a bit what you have observed so far?

--Hannes

Sure!

I tried to use Bootstrap 3 a month ago, and after some weird behaviours I noticed that including some javascript files from bootstrap 3 caused some troubles with helios (e.g., commit packages didn't work).
Honestly I don't know if it is caused by jquery 2 or by the Bootstrap js code.
Also, I wonder if the Bootstrap 3 css could cause rendering problems with Helios, since Bootstrap 3 is not backwards compatible with Bootstrap 2.

Let me know if you need more specific information or if you want me to try something.

Re: Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Herby Vojčík

Siemen Baader wrote:
> I am interested in this too. I managed to run bootstrap 2 & 3 (through
> Bootswatch) alongside each other, rudimentary notes on how to are in
> the Readme here:
>
> https://github.com/siemenbaader/amber-sketchcode
>
> IMHO, what Helios uses as deps should not affect the amber app. I

This is what I believe as well.

> don't know how to do this cleanly in practice; maybe using two
> different bower targets.

Wait for a while, after Helios will be extracted out of core amber, there will be no more dependency on either bootstrap.

As for jQuery, if it is advisable that Amber be jQuery2-enabling, we could maybe change the version to ">=1.9.0" or something like that, to allow 2 in there.

> -- Siemen
>
> On 03 Jun 2014, at 10:31, [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> > I wonder if it is possible to use Bootstrap 3 with Amber.
>>
>>     >
>>     > The problem I see (and that I have tested) is that Bootrstrap 3

    requires

>>     > JQuery 2, while Amber user Bootstrap 2 and JQuery 1.*.
>>     Including the new
>>     > version of the libraries clearly clashes with the internals of
>>     Amber.
>>
>>     Could you please elaborate a bit what you have observed so far?
>>
>>     --Hannes
>>

>> Sure!
>>
>> I tried to use Bootstrap 3 a month ago, and after some weird
>> behaviours I noticed that including some javascript files from
>> bootstrap 3 caused some troubles with helios (e.g., commit packages
>> didn't work).
>> Honestly I don't know if it is caused by jquery 2 or by the Bootstrap
>> js code.
>> Also, I wonder if the Bootstrap 3 css could cause rendering problems
>> with Helios, since Bootstrap 3 is not backwards compatible with
>> Bootstrap 2.
>>
>> Let me know if you need more specific information or if you want me
>> to try something.

Re: Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Nicolas Petton

Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> writes:

> Wait for a while, after Helios will be extracted out of core amber,
> there will be no more dependency on either bootstrap.

Indeed, that will happen soon now. Then it will be a lot easier.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Tommaso DS

Il giorno martedì 3 giugno 2014 17:57:50 UTC+2, nicolas petton ha scritto:

Indeed, that will happen soon now. Then it will be a lot easier.

Amazing, thanks!

Tommaso

Re: Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Siemen Baader

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> writes:

> Wait for a while, after Helios will be extracted out of core amber,
> there will be no more dependency on either bootstrap.

Indeed, that will happen soon now. Then it will be a lot easier.

Cool. I am in no rush. Out of curiosity - how will Helios be extracted? Will you serve it from the globally installed amber-cli package, or run as a NodeWebkit app?

best,
Siemen

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Herby Vojčík
As for posdibility of using node-webkit, Nico can tell more. But the badic scenario is no special, in fact totally boring - you add helios to your project as bower devDependency and map its namespace in your index.html.
The `amber init` will in fact generate skeleton with all of it in place.

Siemen Baader <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> writes:

> Wait for a while, after Helios will be extracted out of core amber,
> there will be no more dependency on either bootstrap.

Indeed, that will happen soon now. Then it will be a lot easier.

Cool. I am in no rush. Out of curiosity - how will Helios be extracted? Will you serve it from the globally installed amber-cli package, or run as a NodeWebkit app?

best,
Siemen

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Herby Vojčík
I added new PR to Amber which should solved nameclash with Amber as well
as too strict jQuery dependency. Try if it can help you.

Herby

[hidden email] wrote:

> I wonder if it is possible to use Bootstrap 3 with Amber.
>
> The problem I see (and that I have tested) is that Bootrstrap 3 requires
> JQuery 2, while Amber user Bootstrap 2 and JQuery 1.*. Including the new
> version of the libraries clearly clashes with the internals of Amber.
> Is there a way to use requireJs to limit the scope of the two libraries
> or it is just not possible at the moment without breaking the Amber
> environment?
>
> If this is not the case, is Amber going to stick with Boostrap 2 for
> long enough to justify the use of the old library for developing new
> projects?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Bootstrap 3 and Amber

Herby Vojčík

Herby Vojčík wrote:
> I added new PR to Amber which should solved nameclash with Amber as
I meant, with bootstrap 2...