Bootstrapping on Squeak

Sean DeNigris
Is it still possible to have a Configuration that bootstraps itself if Metacello is not present? Squeak 5.1 does not seem to come with MetaC pre-installed…

1. I manually loaded ConfigurationOfTimeZoneDatabase from
sqs/TimeZoneDatabase
2. "ConfigurationOfTimeZoneDatabase project stableVersion load" -> unknown
selector #stableVersion
3. "ConfigurationOfTimeZoneDatabase project" -> hangs 4e on "Downloading
Metacello-Base-DaleHenrichs.2.mcz"
4. Install Metacello manually via SqS Catalog -> Hangs 4e on "Downloading
Time-PaulDeBruicker.53"; unable to interrupt; eventually crashes with no
crash dump or debug log
The configuration seems to be okay because I successfully loaded in Pharo
6.1 via:
    Metacello new
        configuration: 'TimeZoneDatabase';
        squeaksource: 'TimeZoneDatabase';
        load
> there is an undeclared reference to MetacelloMCProject, which does not
> exist in my image. That may account for the hangups.
Hmm, good point. I thought that the old self-bootstrapping Metacello was
guaranteed to work in both Squeak and Pharo (and I see that
ConfigurationOfTimeZoneDatabase has a #squeak platform spec). Maybe I should
ask on the MetaC ML? Are other Squeakers using Metacello? In 5.1?

Re: Bootstrapping on Squeak

Tobias Pape-3

> On 08.04.2018, at 03:11, Sean DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is it still possible to have a Configuration that bootstraps itself if Metacello is not present? Squeak 5.1 does not seem to come with MetaC pre-installed…
>
> From Squeak Dev:
> 1. I manually loaded ConfigurationOfTimeZoneDatabase from
> sqs/TimeZoneDatabase
> 2. "ConfigurationOfTimeZoneDatabase project stableVersion load" -> unknown
> selector #stableVersion
> 3. "ConfigurationOfTimeZoneDatabase project" -> hangs 4e on "Downloading
> Metacello-Base-DaleHenrichs.2.mcz"
> 4. Install Metacello manually via SqS Catalog -> Hangs 4e on "Downloading
> Time-PaulDeBruicker.53"; unable to interrupt; eventually crashes with no
> crash dump or debug log
> The configuration seems to be okay because I successfully loaded in Pharo
> 6.1 via:
>     Metacello new
>         configuration: 'TimeZoneDatabase';
>         squeaksource: 'TimeZoneDatabase';
>         load
> > there is an undeclared reference to MetacelloMCProject, which does not
> > exist in my image. That may account for the hangups.
> Hmm, good point. I thought that the old self-bootstrapping Metacello was
> guaranteed to work in both Squeak and Pharo (and I see that
> ConfigurationOfTimeZoneDatabase has a #squeak platform spec). Maybe I should
> ask on the MetaC ML? Are other Squeakers using Metacello? In 5.1?

Yes, see my answer there: http://forum.world.st/TimeZoneDatabase-Can-t-Install-in-Squeak-5-1-tp5073034p5073097.html

Best regards
        -Tobias

Re: Bootstrapping on Squeak

Sean DeNigris
Yes, see my answer there: <a href="http://forum.world.st/TimeZoneDatabase-Can-t-Install-in-Squeak-5-1-tp5073034p5073097.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fforum.world.st%2FTimeZoneDatabase-Can-t-Install-in-Squeak-5-1-tp5073034p5073097.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHFT3dUx6eI1MmZS59sWZq7xm9eBw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fforum.world.st%2FTimeZoneDatabase-Can-t-Install-in-Squeak-5-1-tp5073034p5073097.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHFT3dUx6eI1MmZS59sWZq7xm9eBw&#39;;return true;" style="font-size: 13px;">http://forum.world.st/TimeZoneDatabase-Can-t-Install-in-Squeak-5-1-tp5073034p5073097.html
Sorry, I was unclear I meant for the Config to bootstrap *itself*. IIRC when MetaC first came out and couldn't depend on being pre-installed, there was machinery inside the Config which would install MetaC required to load the project. This no longer seems to work in Squeak 5.1.

Re: Bootstrapping on Squeak

Tobias Pape-3

> On 09.04.2018, at 15:27, Sean DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, see my answer there: http://forum.world.st/TimeZoneDatabase-Can-t-Install-in-Squeak-5-1-tp5073034p5073097.html
> Sorry, I was unclear I meant for the Config to bootstrap *itself*. IIRC when MetaC first came out and couldn't depend on being pre-installed, there was machinery inside the Config which would install MetaC required to load the project. This no longer seems to work in Squeak 5.1.

Ah Yes.

This is probably due to the config being written before GemStone became GemTalk Systems. The domain is now stale, and no redirect to the new one is being done.
The solution might be to update the config. But IIRC, the "Old" Way does not completely integrate into the Preview way of package registration.
But I might be wrong there.

Best regards
        -Tobias