Breaking News

horrido

Re: Breaking News

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi,

Thanks for sharing. There is any link to the HPE site on the news about
investing 1.2 billion in the R & D Research Lab?

Cheers,

Offray

On 01/04/17 11:10, horrido wrote:

> Smalltalk to get a second crack at the whip
> <https://medium.com/@richardeng/smalltalk-to-get-a-second-crack-at-the-whip-ecaeb8a94533>
> . By frickin' time!

Re: Breaking News

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Ohhh... April 1st.... (the local date for that is Dec 28th, so it always
kind of confuse me).

Cheers,

Offray

On 01/04/17 12:22, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for sharing. There is any link to the HPE site on the news
> about investing 1.2 billion in the R & D Research Lab?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>

> On 01/04/17 11:10, horrido wrote:
>> Smalltalk to get a second crack at the whip
>> <https://medium.com/@richardeng/smalltalk-to-get-a-second-crack-at-the-whip-ecaeb8a94533>
>>
>> . By frickin' time!

Re: Breaking News

Ben Coman
On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 12:10 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Smalltalk to get a second crack at the whip
<https://medium.com/@richardeng/smalltalk-to-get-a-second-crack-at-the-whip-ecaeb8a94533>
. By frickin' time!

Lovely article Richard.
I want to believe this is really a turning point for Smalltalk.
cheers -ben

Re: Breaking News

kilon.alios
Ironically and this is not April's Fool joke, Scratch has been exploding in popularity

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/scratch/

So what Smalltalk has failed to achieve, Scratch is achieving it now even though it was made with Smalltalk. Makes sense though, many countries have been pushing coding into schools and Scratch was always a No1 choice, its just lately this push has been a lot more severe because of the severe lack of pro and amateur coders.

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 8:54 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

This post was updated on .
Scratch may be a good way to introduce basic programming concepts to total beginners, but it's hardly a substitute for a proper programming language like Smalltalk. How would you even begin to write a machine learning application or an ERP application using Scratch?

I write about this in my article What does it mean to “code?”.

kilon.alios wrote
Ironically and this is not April's Fool joke, Scratch has been exploding in
popularity

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/scratch/

So what Smalltalk has failed to achieve, Scratch is achieving it now even
though it was made with Smalltalk. Makes sense though, many countries have
been pushing coding into schools and Scratch was always a No1 choice, its
just lately this push has been a lot more severe because of the severe lack
of pro and amateur coders.

Re: Breaking News

Greg Lewin
Scratch still seems to have no code-grouping abstractions like subroutines or, better, functions - isn't this a rather important part of learning to code well?  Having loop facilities with no GOTO in sight is a good start, but it looks incomplete all the same - with subroutines, the concepts of factoring and re-factoring code could then be introduced early on.

Re: Breaking News

Ben Coman

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ironically and this is not April's Fool joke, Scratch has been exploding in popularity

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/scratch/

So what Smalltalk has failed to achieve, Scratch is achieving it now even though it was made with Smalltalk. Makes sense though, many countries have been pushing coding into schools and Scratch was always a No1 choice, its just lately this push has been a lot more severe because of the severe lack of pro and amateur coders.

With a 12 month lag, you might say it fairly well follows the rise of RPi sales...

Now Pharo is aiming at a business market and maybe not kids,
but some of those kids have parents that in the tech industry,
and of course they will want to help their kid's with their projects.
So now you have a few hours attention from a decision maker
who otherwise wouldn't have time to poke something new with a barge pole.

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 8:54 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well... I was just trying to get myself unembarrassed... but was not catch was not mine... next years I will let it run wildly and help to it.

Of course :)
For a few minutes it *really* made my day also (until I searched and the other half of my brain caught up).

[...]

Comments below ;-)

On 02/04/17 04:18, Ben Coman wrote:

[...]

On the path of passing from visual metaphors to coding I remember using Scratch, Etoys, and Bots Inc (in that order) with my undergrad students in 2006 and 2007. Now I'm using data activism to join visualization with code for grown ups. I think that this kind of bridges in two directions (from code to visuals and vice-versa) are important. In that sense, project like Phratch are a good way to introduce novices to programming and let them to deconstruct/traverse their way to underlying coding behind GUI without all the extra layers that now has Scratch, since its "migration to the web". Complementary ways of approaching the divide between coders and non coders are important to get more diversity, with kids, data scientist journalist and activists and others knowing the advantages of live coding moldability and others that are brought by the Pharo/Smalltalk Ecosystem.

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 8:54 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well... I was just trying to get myself unembarrassed... but was not catch was not mine... next years I will let it run wildly and help to it.

Of course :)
For a few minutes it *really* made my day also (until I searched and the other half of my brain caught up).

With all this post-true issues now is difficult for more me not to ask for sources... is more difficult to fall into Aprils fools, but asking for sources on a fake new on that day is kind of falling in the joke :-).

Cheers,

Offray