Breakpoint limitations

Instantiations mailing list
Greetings,

I was just wondering if anybody knew of a particular limitation on the maximum number of breakpoints that could be configured in VAST at any one time. I just wrote a script to create a breakpoint that would just do a Transcript show of the method signature for all methods in all subclasses of a particular business model superclass. When I tried to file in the breakpoints, it gets an error after loading a little more than 9,500 breakpoints.

Has anybody seen this before? I'm guessing that I might be out on a limb because there are probably few people that want that many breakpoints. But, if anybody has seen it, have you found any kind of work around?

Many thanks,
Joel Zecher

Re: Breakpoint limitations

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 3:52:36 PM UTC-7, Joel Zecher wrote:
Greetings,

I was just wondering if anybody knew of a particular limitation on the maximum number of breakpoints that could be configured in VAST at any one time. I just wrote a script to create a breakpoint that would just do a Transcript show of the method signature for all methods in all subclasses of a particular business model superclass. When I tried to file in the breakpoints, it gets an error after loading a little more than 9,500 breakpoints.

Has anybody seen this before? I'm guessing that I might be out on a limb because there are probably few people that want that many breakpoints. But, if anybody has seen it, have you found any kind of work around?

I have used breakpoints for a poor man's code coverage tool. No idea how many breakpoints were involved.

You may be better off looking for the Method Wrappers project. There is one for VA Smalltalk. http://vastgoodies.com/projects/Method%20Wrappers

Many thanks,
Joel Zecher