Broken SqueakSource?

12

Broken SqueakSource?

Pavel Krivanek
Hi all,

when I try to publish something to the SqueakSource repository, the response is

HTTP/1.1 302 Found

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:02:17 GMT

Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Darwin) mod_jk/1.2.6 mod_ssl/2.8.24
OpenSSL/0.9.7i PHP/4.3.11

Location: http://www.squeaksource.com/ShoreComponents/VersionNumber-pk.3.mcz

Connection: close

"-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>302 Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Found</H1>
The document has moved <A
HREF="http://www.squeaksource.com/ShoreComponents/VersionNumber-pk.3.mcz">here</A>.<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.33 Server at squeaksource.com Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>

Tested on MinimalMorphic and 3.9 image on repositories KernelImage and
ShoreComponents.

Is the SqueakSource broken?

-- Pavel

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Pavel Krivanek puso en su mail :

> http://www.squeaksource.com/ShoreComponents
I seeing normal in Squeak3.9-final-7067.image
By the way , I have a partial solution to have preamble / postscript for
Monticello .
Also I could have non code things and load well.
Is taking longer as I expected, no much time (and few brain :=)

Edgar

Picture 2.png (25K) Download Attachment

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

Bert Freudenberg
On Nov 19, 2006, at 15:38 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> By the way , I have a partial solution to have preamble /
> postscript for
> Monticello .

What do you mean? There already are pre/post load/unload scripts in
PackageInfo, usable by MC.

> Also I could have non code things and load well.

This is nice. I always wanted to work on that but never found the time.

- Bert -

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 03:43:41PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2006, at 15:38 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>
> >By the way , I have a partial solution to have preamble /
> >postscript for
> >Monticello .
>
> What do you mean? There already are pre/post load/unload scripts in
> PackageInfo, usable by MC.

OK, I'm completely clueless. I'm looking at a 3.9 image, and I see
nothing that looks like "pre/post load/unload scripts" in PackageInfo
or MC, and certainly nothing that could serve as a replacement for
a SAR. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

Edgar J. De Cleene
David T. Lewis puso en su mail :

> On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 03:43:41PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On Nov 19, 2006, at 15:38 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>
>>> By the way , I have a partial solution to have preamble /
>>> postscript for
>>> Monticello .
>>
>> What do you mean? There already are pre/post load/unload scripts in
>> PackageInfo, usable by MC.
>
> OK, I'm completely clueless. I'm looking at a 3.9 image, and I see
> nothing that looks like "pre/post load/unload scripts" in PackageInfo
> or MC, and certainly nothing that could serve as a replacement for
> a SAR. What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

All this begins when Pavel say what hitting Scripts button on Monticello
Browser gives the attached walkback.
I always use .sar for complex code and extra things like picts, sound, etc
and have experience in load this in different version .images (see
Rompecabezas.8.sar for a complex "micro app" what figures what load for
work)
I should mess something and found many are "in progress", as no implemented
or no clues or how could manage this.
My dirty solution works , until now, only via drag and drop and tell SAR
install.
Still guessing how manage the fact what sometimes in reduced images you
should load something what image lacks BEFORE Monticello owns logic.
Take MinimalMorphic and the .cs and .mcz I send for test what works , but
need refining...

Edgar

SqueakDebug.log (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 10:56:25AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> David T. Lewis puso en su mail :
> > On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 03:43:41PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >> What do you mean? There already are pre/post load/unload scripts in
> >> PackageInfo, usable by MC.
> >
> > OK, I'm completely clueless. I'm looking at a 3.9 image, and I see
> > nothing that looks like "pre/post load/unload scripts" in PackageInfo
> > or MC, and certainly nothing that could serve as a replacement for
> > a SAR. What am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
> >
> All this begins when Pavel say what hitting Scripts button on Monticello
> Browser gives the attached walkback.
> I always use .sar for complex code and extra things like picts, sound, etc
> and have experience in load this in different version .images (see
> Rompecabezas.8.sar for a complex "micro app" what figures what load for
> work)
> I should mess something and found many are "in progress", as no implemented
> or no clues or how could manage this.
> My dirty solution works , until now, only via drag and drop and tell SAR
> install.
> Still guessing how manage the fact what sometimes in reduced images you
> should load something what image lacks BEFORE Monticello owns logic.
> Take MinimalMorphic and the .cs and .mcz I send for test what works , but
> need refining...

Thanks Edgar, I will continue to use .sar files.

Dave

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

Edgar J. De Cleene
David T. Lewis puso en su mail :

> Thanks Edgar, I will continue to use .sar files.
>
> Dave
Also I.
But  you can;t wish put a .sar in SqueakSource, (I complaint against several
times, without any listening)
That's why Procustes

Edgar

Correo Yahoo!

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

Philippe Marschall
2006/11/20, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 03:43:41PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > On Nov 19, 2006, at 15:38 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> >
> > >By the way , I have a partial solution to have preamble /
> > >postscript for
> > >Monticello .
> >
> > What do you mean? There already are pre/post load/unload scripts in
> > PackageInfo, usable by MC.
>
> OK, I'm completely clueless. I'm looking at a 3.9 image, and I see
> nothing that looks like "pre/post load/unload scripts" in PackageInfo
> or MC, and certainly nothing that could serve as a replacement for
> a SAR. What am I missing?

As Edgar said, use the "Scripts" button of the Monticello browser.
This doesn't work with the stock 3.9 PackageInfo but should work fine
in a 3.8 image, with a Monticello from Impara and a PackageInfo from
Impara. For 3.9 the Impara changes need to be packported.

There is also a MCC on mantis that supports postscripts. Preambles
could be added easily if required.

Philippe

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 03:53:40PM +0100, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2006/11/20, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >OK, I'm completely clueless. I'm looking at a 3.9 image, and I see
> >nothing that looks like "pre/post load/unload scripts" in PackageInfo
> >or MC, and certainly nothing that could serve as a replacement for
> >a SAR. What am I missing?
>
> As Edgar said, use the "Scripts" button of the Monticello browser.
> This doesn't work with the stock 3.9 PackageInfo but should work fine
> in a 3.8 image, with a Monticello from Impara and a PackageInfo from
> Impara. For 3.9 the Impara changes need to be packported.

Thanks, the Impara sources is the part I was missing.

Dave

MC scripts (was Re: Broken SqueakSource?)

Bert Freudenberg
On Nov 20, 2006, at 16:33 , David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 03:53:40PM +0100, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> 2006/11/20, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> OK, I'm completely clueless. I'm looking at a 3.9 image, and I see
>>> nothing that looks like "pre/post load/unload scripts" in
>>> PackageInfo
>>> or MC, and certainly nothing that could serve as a replacement for
>>> a SAR. What am I missing?
>>
>> As Edgar said, use the "Scripts" button of the Monticello browser.
>> This doesn't work with the stock 3.9 PackageInfo but should work fine
>> in a 3.8 image, with a Monticello from Impara and a PackageInfo from
>> Impara. For 3.9 the Impara changes need to be packported.
>
> Thanks, the Impara sources is the part I was missing.

Note that I got that PackageInfo version from somewhere else - not
sure wherefrom, though, anymore. It has been around for quite a
while, but not really used yet.

- Bert -

RE: Broken SqueakSource?

Ron Teitelbaum
I had to load some of Bert's changes to get Monticello Configurations
working.  It would be really nice if we could get all these changes together
into a 3.9 image somehow.  I posted the changes to Mantis.  I have no idea
how people use Monticello without using Monticello Configurations!  (I'd be
completely lost without it)

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: RE: Broken SqueakSource?

Avi  Bryant
On 11/20/06, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I have no idea
> how people use Monticello without using Monticello Configurations!  (I'd be
> completely lost without it)

FWIW: what we do is to have a single package with no actual code, with
dependencies on every other package our application needs (this is a
flat dependency tree, not nested).  When developing, we commit new
versions of the lower-level packages as needed.  When we want to
release something, we sync up everyone's changes and then commit a new
version of the top-level package.  That gets loaded by everyone and
becomes the basis for a new round of changes.

Avi

RE: RE: Broken SqueakSource?

Ron Teitelbaum
Yeah I'm doing that for my main USMRS package.  But I also load up Seaside,
SeasideAsync, Cees' tric stuff, Glorp, PostgresV2, a bunch of cryptography
stuff and more, and I want to know when something changes anywhere.  Plus I
load this frequently to a virgin image to make sure I can load everything up
properly.  Monticello Configurations is wonderful for this!

Ron

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

Yanni Chiu
Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> ...   I have no idea
> how people use Monticello without using Monticello Configurations!

I used MCC for a while, but I couldn't figure out how to
set up Apache to allow upload of .mcz's, and MCC did not
work properly for directory repositories. Also, I didn't
want to keep a squeaksource image up and running all the
time. So, I just stopped building from scratch - temporarily.

I use a pre-built base image to do builds from. The last
time I updated it was when I moved from 3.7 to 3.8. It
basically has Postgres and Seaside.

Just recently, I needed to do build & release better,
so I just run a script (see below) in my pre-built image.

install
   | repo |

   repo := MCDirectoryRepository new directory: (FileDirectory on: 'Y:\mc').
   #(
     'SeasideMods-yj.1.mcz'
     'ImageExtensions-yj.4.mcz'
     "..."
   ) do: [:fn | (repo versionFromFileNamed: fn) load].

When I got tired of typing in version numbers, I wrote:

installLatest
   | packageNames allFileNames repo |

   packageNames := #(
     'SeasideMods' 'ImageExtensions'
     "..."
     ).

   repo := MCDirectoryRepository new directory: (FileDirectory on: 'Y:\mc').
   allFileNames := repo directory fileNamesMatching: '*.mcz'.

   packageNames collect: [:each | | max fileName |
     max := 0.
     (allFileNames select: [:fn | each, '-*' match: fn]) do: [:entry |
       (entry findBetweenSubStrs: #($.)) allButLast last asInteger > max
ifTrue: [fileName := entry]].
     Transcript cr; show: fileName.
     (repo versionFromFileNamed: fileName) load.
   ].

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

Philippe Marschall
2006/11/20, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:
> I had to load some of Bert's changes to get Monticello Configurations
> working.  It would be really nice if we could get all these changes together
> into a 3.9 image somehow.  I posted the changes to Mantis.  I have no idea
> how people use Monticello without using Monticello Configurations!  (I'd be
> completely lost without it)

There is also:
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5071
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4991

Cheers
Philippe

> Ron Teitelbaum

RE: Broken SqueakSource?

Ron Teitelbaum
This is mine: http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5217

Ron

Re: RE: Broken SqueakSource?

Ralph Johnson
I've used MC for small projects, but never used configurations.  Did
they even exist in 3.8?  This is the first I've heard about them.
Since I've used Envy and Store, it is pretty easy to guess what they
are for.  But it would be nice to have a little documentation.  I
found some e-mail and blog posts discussing MC configurations, but no
real documentation.

3.9 comes with a MC Configuration editor, so I am guessing that
configurations are fairly new.  It would be hard to figure it out by
trial and error.  The 3,9 MC user interface is wretched.  It is much
harder to figure out than the old interface.  The MC user interface in
3,7 and 3.8 was not great, but not bad.  The UI in 3.9 is not only
ugly, it is confusing.  I gave up on it.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: Broken SqueakSource?

Andreas.Raab
Ralph Johnson wrote:
> I've used MC for small projects, but never used configurations.  Did
> they even exist in 3.8?  This is the first I've heard about them.

MCC's were originally developed and used in Tweak (which is 3.8-based).

> Since I've used Envy and Store, it is pretty easy to guess what they
> are for.  But it would be nice to have a little documentation.  I
> found some e-mail and blog posts discussing MC configurations, but no
> real documentation.

The closest to documentation is probably here:
   http://tweak.impara.de/ABOUT/FAQ/#Q4A
   http://tweak.impara.de/ABOUT/FAQ/MCConfigurationUpdates/

> 3.9 comes with a MC Configuration editor, so I am guessing that
> configurations are fairly new.  It would be hard to figure it out by
> trial and error.  The 3,9 MC user interface is wretched.  It is much
> harder to figure out than the old interface.  The MC user interface in
> 3,7 and 3.8 was not great, but not bad.  The UI in 3.9 is not only
> ugly, it is confusing.  I gave up on it.

I haven't looked closely at 3.9 but is there even a significant
difference between the UI in 3.8 and 3.9?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Re: Broken SqueakSource?

Ralph Johnson
> I haven't looked closely at 3.9 but is there even a significant
> difference between the UI in 3.8 and 3.9?

I looked at it again and it was not what I remembered.  But it is
different from the UI in the version of MC that comes with 3,8.  My
guess is that some of the problems I had are related to the bugs that
were reported recently.  The documentation you mentioned will help.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: MC scripts (was Re: Broken SqueakSource?)

Edgar J. De Cleene
Bert Freudenberg puso en su mail :

> Note that I got that PackageInfo version from somewhere else - not
> sure wherefrom, though, anymore. It has been around for quite a
> while, but not really used yet.
>
> - Bert -

>From http://source.impara.de/ I got:

PackageInfo-Base-bf.22.mcz
Monticello-SR.315.mcz
MonticelloConfigurations-pm.mcz

This was the correct files ? Seems work.

Could me point to some made .mcz with preamble and postcript for see ?
I wish have also non code into .mcz !!!

How you manage some like this I copy form Rompecabezas.sar.

| misFotos listaArchivos member form str |
Smalltalk version  = 'SqueakLight' ifTrue:[ self fileInMemberNamed:
'MixedCurves.2.cs'.
    self fileInMemberNamed: 'MinimalSound.2.cs'].

member _ self memberNamed: 'CatClubBallooning.jpg'.
PuzzleMorph foto: (Form fromBinaryStream: member contentStream binary).
member _ self memberNamed: 'Taunt011.wav'.
PuzzleMorph sonido: (member contentStream binary).
PuzzleMorph allPieces

Very thanks in advance !!

Edgar

Correo Yahoo!