classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Broken Update [was [squeak-dev] Daily Commit Log]

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi,

whatever happened in unloading Universes, it broke the ability to update a release Squeak 5.0 image to the current tip.  Hence my automated scripts to build 64-bit images are broken.  Can whoever broke the update either fix it, or provide some reasonable workaround so that I can restore my scripts?  What's at stake here is, well, a high performance 64-bit Squeak and/or Pharo.

I think it's reasonable, even mandatory that we should be able to update a release N image to the tip of release N.  We should have CI servers that try and do this (I think we do, don't we?), and so IMO it's incumbent on whoever breaks the update to fix things, e.g. by changing update maps appropriately.  [and I don't mean this as a punishment, or something that the person has to do on their own; I'm happy to help fix things, it's /really/ important that the update works, and not just from the last update].

Thanks in advance.  Apologies if I appear rude; it's not my intent.  I just want my auto-update back ;-)

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Changes to Trunk (http://source.squeak.org/trunk.html) in the last 24 hours:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2015-November/009199.html

Name: Squeak-Version-kfr.4713
Ancestors: Squeak-Version-kfr.4712

Unload and unregister Universes

=============================================

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Broken Update [was [squeak-dev] Daily Commit Log]

timrowledge

> On 09-12-2015, at 7:06 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>     whatever happened in unloading Universes, it broke the ability to update a release Squeak 5.0 image to the current tip.  Hence my automated scripts to build 64-bit images are broken.  Can whoever broke the update either fix it, or provide some reasonable workaround so that I can restore my scripts?  What's at stake here is, well, a high performance 64-bit Squeak and/or Pharo.

That’s pretty much what I was asking in an email I (failed to actually send out! dammit!) sent yesterday. We need to solve this asap. Not to mention me solving the “why have several emails not got outside my internal network” question.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Strange OpCodes: MC: Melt down Core

Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2
Hi,
It it related with this Levente mentioned in a mail earlier ?

"Sadly the update process will break if your image has Universes-mt.48 in it, because it'll try to load Universes-kfr.49 after it has been removed by Squeak-Version. I think removing Universes from the update map will help."

I asked how to proceed but I got no answer.
I'm not sure how one make a update map

Best,
Karl 

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:06 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

whatever happened in unloading Universes, it broke the ability to update a release Squeak 5.0 image to the current tip.  Hence my automated scripts to build 64-bit images are broken.  Can whoever broke the update either fix it, or provide some reasonable workaround so that I can restore my scripts?  What's at stake here is, well, a high performance 64-bit Squeak and/or Pharo.

I think it's reasonable, even mandatory that we should be able to update a release N image to the tip of release N.  We should have CI servers that try and do this (I think we do, don't we?), and so IMO it's incumbent on whoever breaks the update to fix things, e.g. by changing update maps appropriately.  [and I don't mean this as a punishment, or something that the person has to do on their own; I'm happy to help fix things, it's /really/ important that the update works, and not just from the last update].

Thanks in advance.  Apologies if I appear rude; it's not my intent.  I just want my auto-update back ;-)

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

cbc
Reply | Threaded
|

cbc
Hi Karl,
I think to update the update map, open up trunk, go down and find the package called 'update', browse that. It should bring up an MCConfigurationBrowser. The order of the packages in that browser is the order that an update will try to upgrade the packages - and is the list of packages that the upgrade stream will upgrade.

I think you'll want to remove from that list the packages that were removed in the SqueakVersion, and then save the configuration back to trunk.

When you are doing tricky things, you can specify exactly which versions of packages should load in an update - and stack them one after the other - so that the update will load specific packages in a specific order.  Probably not needed for this fix, though, right?

All of this said, I don't actually have access to do this or test it, so take the info as you will.

Good luck,
cbc

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

"Sadly the update process will break if your image has Universes-mt.48 in it, because it'll try to load Universes-kfr.49 after it has been removed by Squeak-Version. I think removing Universes from the update map will help."

Best,
Karl 

Hi,

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by Karl Ramberg
Hi Karl,

Hi,

As Chris says the updates live in the "update" package.  Open up a repository browser on source.squeak.org/trunk and you'll see them towards the bottom (update.spur contains older updates from the time of the bootstrap from 4.6 to what became 5.0, you can ignore them).

What I would do is create a local mirror, either by fully populating my package cache with all the 5.0 packages and updates, or creating a directory repository and downloading all the packages and updates to there and then play with the local repository until I got the update working again, and then I would upload the changed updates to trunk.

I'm attaching SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher which is the hack I used to automate patching 4.6 packages to make them Spur compatible in the run-up to 5.0.  I'm doing this because it contains methods like downloadToSourceDirAllPackageVersionsStartingWith: that download all versions of a package to a local repository starting from a specific version.  Sao these hacks will help you in populating your local repository prior to experimenting. Once I'd downloaded all packages I would then take a local copy and modify the copy, I could then diff the original and the modified clone to see what had changed.

HTH

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Best,
Karl 

Hi,

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher.st (56K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
In reply to this post by cbc
Thanks

Best,
Karl

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Chris Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karl,
I think to update the update map, open up trunk, go down and find the package called 'update', browse that. It should bring up an MCConfigurationBrowser. The order of the packages in that browser is the order that an update will try to upgrade the packages - and is the list of packages that the upgrade stream will upgrade.

I think you'll want to remove from that list the packages that were removed in the SqueakVersion, and then save the configuration back to trunk.

When you are doing tricky things, you can specify exactly which versions of packages should load in an update - and stack them one after the other - so that the update will load specific packages in a specific order.  Probably not needed for this fix, though, right?

All of this said, I don't actually have access to do this or test it, so take the info as you will.

Good luck,
cbc

Hi,

Best,
Karl 

Hi,

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
Thanks,

Best,
Karl

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karl,

Hi,

As Chris says the updates live in the "update" package.  Open up a repository browser on source.squeak.org/trunk and you'll see them towards the bottom (update.spur contains older updates from the time of the bootstrap from 4.6 to what became 5.0, you can ignore them).

What I would do is create a local mirror, either by fully populating my package cache with all the 5.0 packages and updates, or creating a directory repository and downloading all the packages and updates to there and then play with the local repository until I got the update working again, and then I would upload the changed updates to trunk.

I'm attaching SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher which is the hack I used to automate patching 4.6 packages to make them Spur compatible in the run-up to 5.0.  I'm doing this because it contains methods like downloadToSourceDirAllPackageVersionsStartingWith: that download all versions of a package to a local repository starting from a specific version.  Sao these hacks will help you in populating your local repository prior to experimenting. Once I'd downloaded all packages I would then take a local copy and modify the copy, I could then diff the original and the modified clone to see what had changed.

HTH

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Best,
Karl 

Hi,

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi
IMHO all you need to do is to fire up a Squeak image which has
Squeak-Version-kfr.4713 loaded, open update-mt.339.mcm (open the Trunk
repository, select this update map, and click Browse), remove
Universes-mt.48 from the list (select, right click, remove), and update
Squeak-Version to kfr.4713 (select, right click, update from image (or
repository if you're brave), and finally save it (Store) using the same
name (update-mt.339).
Here comes the tricky part: you can't overwrite an existing update map,
nor can you move it away from the repository using the web interface, so
an administrator of source.squeak.org will have to do one of these things
to let you save the correct version.
Alternatively, you could try to save it using different initials but same
version (e.g. update-kfr.339) and hope that the update process will sort
the maps lexicographically, but I'd rather not rely on this.

Levente

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, karl ramberg wrote:

> Thanks,
> Best,
> Karl
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Hi Karl,
>       On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>             Hi,It it related with this Levente mentioned in a mail earlier ?
>
> "Sadly the update process will break if your image has Universes-mt.48 in it, because it'll try to load Universes-kfr.49 after it has been removed by Squeak-Version. I think removing Universes from the update map will help."
>
> I asked how to proceed but I got no answer.
> I'm not sure how one make a update map
>
>
> As Chris says the updates live in the "update" package.  Open up a repository browser on source.squeak.org/trunk and you'll see them towards the bottom (update.spur contains older updates from the time of the bootstrap from 4.6 to what became 5.0, you can ignore
> them).
>
> What I would do is create a local mirror, either by fully populating my package cache with all the 5.0 packages and updates, or creating a directory repository and downloading all the packages and updates to there and then play with the local repository until I
> got the update working again, and then I would upload the changed updates to trunk.
>
> I'm attaching SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher which is the hack I used to automate patching 4.6 packages to make them Spur compatible in the run-up to 5.0.  I'm doing this because it contains methods like downloadToSourceDirAllPackageVersionsStartingWith:
> that download all versions of a package to a local repository starting from a specific version.  Sao these hacks will help you in populating your local repository prior to experimenting. Once I'd downloaded all packages I would then take a local copy and modify
> the copy, I could then diff the original and the modified clone to see what had changed.
>
> HTH
>
>  _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot
>
>       Best,
> Karl 
> [cleardot.gif]
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:06 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Hi,
>     whatever happened in unloading Universes, it broke the ability to update a release Squeak 5.0 image to the current tip.  Hence my automated scripts to build 64-bit images are broken.  Can whoever broke the update either fix it, or provide some
> reasonable workaround so that I can restore my scripts?  What's at stake here is, well, a high performance 64-bit Squeak and/or Pharo.
>
> I think it's reasonable, even mandatory that we should be able to update a release N image to the tip of release N.  We should have CI servers that try and do this (I think we do, don't we?), and so IMO it's incumbent on whoever breaks the update to
> fix things, e.g. by changing update maps appropriately.  [and I don't mean this as a punishment, or something that the person has to do on their own; I'm happy to help fix things, it's /really/ important that the update works, and not just from the
> last update].
>
> Thanks in advance.  Apologies if I appear rude; it's not my intent.  I just want my auto-update back ;-)
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Changes to Trunk (http://source.squeak.org/trunk.html) in the last 24 hours:
>
>       http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2015-November/009199.html
>
>       Name: Squeak-Version-kfr.4713
>       Ancestors: Squeak-Version-kfr.4712
>
>       Unload and unregister Universes
>
>       =============================================
>
>  
> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
IMHO all you need to do is to fire up a Squeak image which has Squeak-Version-kfr.4713 loaded, open update-mt.339.mcm (open the Trunk repository, select this update map, and click Browse), remove Universes-mt.48 from the list (select, right click, remove), and update Squeak-Version to kfr.4713 (select, right click, update from image (or repository if you're brave), and finally save it (Store) using the same name (update-mt.339).

I tried this, but there is no stored file from the MCConfigurationBrowser... I'm not sure what is going on, why it is not outputting a update file to my local repository.

I also updated from a Squeak 5.0 image and I did not run into any problems with the update...

Best,
Karl

Here comes the tricky part: you can't overwrite an existing update map, nor can you move it away from the repository using the web interface, so an administrator of source.squeak.org will have to do one of these things to let you save the correct version.
Alternatively, you could try to save it using different initials but same version (e.g. update-kfr.339) and hope that the update process will sort the maps lexicographically, but I'd rather not rely on this.

Levente

Thanks,
Best,
Karl

Hi Karl,
            Hi,It it related with this Levente mentioned in a mail earlier ?

As Chris says the updates live in the "update" package.  Open up a repository browser on source.squeak.org/trunk and you'll see them towards the bottom (update.spur contains older updates from the time of the bootstrap from 4.6 to what became 5.0, you can ignore
them).

What I would do is create a local mirror, either by fully populating my package cache with all the 5.0 packages and updates, or creating a directory repository and downloading all the packages and updates to there and then play with the local repository until I
got the update working again, and then I would upload the changed updates to trunk.

I'm attaching SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher which is the hack I used to automate patching 4.6 packages to make them Spur compatible in the run-up to 5.0.  I'm doing this because it contains methods like downloadToSourceDirAllPackageVersionsStartingWith:
that download all versions of a package to a local repository starting from a specific version.  Sao these hacks will help you in populating your local repository prior to experimenting. Once I'd downloaded all packages I would then take a local copy and modify
the copy, I could then diff the original and the modified clone to see what had changed.

HTH

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Best,
Karl 
[cleardot.gif]

Hi,
    whatever happened in unloading Universes, it broke the ability to update a release Squeak 5.0 image to the current tip.  Hence my automated scripts to build 64-bit images are broken.  Can whoever broke the update either fix it, or provide some
reasonable workaround so that I can restore my scripts?  What's at stake here is, well, a high performance 64-bit Squeak and/or Pharo.

I think it's reasonable, even mandatory that we should be able to update a release N image to the tip of release N.  We should have CI servers that try and do this (I think we do, don't we?), and so IMO it's incumbent on whoever breaks the update to
fix things, e.g. by changing update maps appropriately.  [and I don't mean this as a punishment, or something that the person has to do on their own; I'm happy to help fix things, it's /really/ important that the update works, and not just from the
last update].

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
Here is a update-kfr.339.mcm with the difference from update-mt.339.mcm :

dependency ('Squeak-Version' 'Squeak-Version-kfr.4713' '96c171dc-c340-492e-b376-30e0212b9c8e')

and universes are not in it

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

IMHO all you need to do is to fire up a Squeak image which has Squeak-Version-kfr.4713 loaded, open update-mt.339.mcm (open the Trunk repository, select this update map, and click Browse), remove Universes-mt.48 from the list (select, right click, remove), and update Squeak-Version to kfr.4713 (select, right click, update from image (or repository if you're brave), and finally save it (Store) using the same name (update-mt.339).

I tried this, but there is no stored file from the MCConfigurationBrowser... I'm not sure what is going on, why it is not outputting a update file to my local repository.

I also updated from a Squeak 5.0 image and I did not run into any problems with the update...

Best,
Karl

Here comes the tricky part: you can't overwrite an existing update map, nor can you move it away from the repository using the web interface, so an administrator of source.squeak.org will have to do one of these things to let you save the correct version.
Alternatively, you could try to save it using different initials but same version (e.g. update-kfr.339) and hope that the update process will sort the maps lexicographically, but I'd rather not rely on this.

Levente

Thanks,
Best,
Karl

Hi Karl,

As Chris says the updates live in the "update" package.  Open up a repository browser on source.squeak.org/trunk and you'll see them towards the bottom (update.spur contains older updates from the time of the bootstrap from 4.6 to what became 5.0, you can ignore
them).

What I would do is create a local mirror, either by fully populating my package cache with all the 5.0 packages and updates, or creating a directory repository and downloading all the packages and updates to there and then play with the local repository until I
got the update working again, and then I would upload the changed updates to trunk.

I'm attaching SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher which is the hack I used to automate patching 4.6 packages to make them Spur compatible in the run-up to 5.0.  I'm doing this because it contains methods like downloadToSourceDirAllPackageVersionsStartingWith:
that download all versions of a package to a local repository starting from a specific version.  Sao these hacks will help you in populating your local repository prior to experimenting. Once I'd downloaded all packages I would then take a local copy and modify
the copy, I could then diff the original and the modified clone to see what had changed.

HTH

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Best,
Karl 
[cleardot.gif]

Hi,
    whatever happened in unloading Universes, it broke the ability to update a release Squeak 5.0 image to the current tip.  Hence my automated scripts to build 64-bit images are broken.  Can whoever broke the update either fix it, or provide some
reasonable workaround so that I can restore my scripts?  What's at stake here is, well, a high performance 64-bit Squeak and/or Pharo.

I think it's reasonable, even mandatory that we should be able to update a release N image to the tip of release N.  We should have CI servers that try and do this (I think we do, don't we?), and so IMO it's incumbent on whoever breaks the update to
fix things, e.g. by changing update maps appropriately.  [and I don't mean this as a punishment, or something that the person has to do on their own; I'm happy to help fix things, it's /really/ important that the update works, and not just from the
last update].

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

update-kfr.339.mcm.gz (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
Thanks Karl,

my auto-update script now works perfectly again.  Thanks.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:12 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

dependency ('Squeak-Version' 'Squeak-Version-kfr.4713' '96c171dc-c340-492e-b376-30e0212b9c8e')

Best,
Karl

Levente

Thanks,
Best,
Karl

Hi Karl,

them).

HTH

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Best,
Karl 
[cleardot.gif]

Hi,

last update].

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi
In reply to this post by Karl Ramberg
Well, I just realized that there's no need for magic to swap
configurations, because update-mt.339 contains consistent versions of
Squeak-Version and Universes. So the best is to just save a new .mcm file
(v340) having Squeak-Version updated to the latest version and having
Universes removed.

Levente

> Here is a update-kfr.339.mcm with the difference from update-mt.339.mcm :
> dependency ('Squeak-Version' 'Squeak-Version-kfr.4713' '96c171dc-c340-492e-b376-30e0212b9c8e')
>
> and universes are not in it
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>       On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>             IMHO all you need to do is to fire up a Squeak image which has Squeak-Version-kfr.4713 loaded, open update-mt.339.mcm (open the Trunk repository, select this update map, and click Browse), remove Universes-mt.48 from the list (select, right
>             click, remove), and update Squeak-Version to kfr.4713 (select, right click, update from image (or repository if you're brave), and finally save it (Store) using the same name (update-mt.339).
>
>
> I tried this, but there is no stored file from the MCConfigurationBrowser... I'm not sure what is going on, why it is not outputting a update file to my local repository.
>
> I also updated from a Squeak 5.0 image and I did not run into any problems with the update...
>
>
> Best,
> Karl
>
>  
>       Here comes the tricky part: you can't overwrite an existing update map, nor can you move it away from the repository using the web interface, so an administrator of source.squeak.org will have to do one of these things to let you save the correct
>       version.
>       Alternatively, you could try to save it using different initials but same version (e.g. update-kfr.339) and hope that the update process will sort the maps lexicographically, but I'd rather not rely on this.
>
>       Levente
>
>       On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, karl ramberg wrote:
>
>             Thanks,
>             Best,
>             Karl
>
>             On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                   Hi Karl,
>                   On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                         Hi,It it related with this Levente mentioned in a mail earlier ?
>
>             "Sadly the update process will break if your image has Universes-mt.48 in it, because it'll try to load Universes-kfr.49 after it has been removed by Squeak-Version. I think removing Universes from the update map will help."
>
>             I asked how to proceed but I got no answer.
>             I'm not sure how one make a update map
>
>
>             As Chris says the updates live in the "update" package.  Open up a repository browser on source.squeak.org/trunk and you'll see them towards the bottom (update.spur contains older updates from the time of the bootstrap from 4.6 to what
>             became 5.0, you can ignore
>             them).
>
>             What I would do is create a local mirror, either by fully populating my package cache with all the 5.0 packages and updates, or creating a directory repository and downloading all the packages and updates to there and then play with the
>             local repository until I
>             got the update working again, and then I would upload the changed updates to trunk.
>
>             I'm attaching SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher which is the hack I used to automate patching 4.6 packages to make them Spur compatible in the run-up to 5.0.  I'm doing this because it contains methods like
>             downloadToSourceDirAllPackageVersionsStartingWith:
>             that download all versions of a package to a local repository starting from a specific version.  Sao these hacks will help you in populating your local repository prior to experimenting. Once I'd downloaded all packages I would then take a
>             local copy and modify
>             the copy, I could then diff the original and the modified clone to see what had changed.
>
>             HTH
>
>              _,,,^..^,,,_
>             best, Eliot
>
>                   Best,
>             Karl 
>             [cleardot.gif]
>
>             On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:06 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                   Hi,
>                 whatever happened in unloading Universes, it broke the ability to update a release Squeak 5.0 image to the current tip.  Hence my automated scripts to build 64-bit images are broken.  Can whoever broke the update either fix it, or
>             provide some
>             reasonable workaround so that I can restore my scripts?  What's at stake here is, well, a high performance 64-bit Squeak and/or Pharo.
>
>             I think it's reasonable, even mandatory that we should be able to update a release N image to the tip of release N.  We should have CI servers that try and do this (I think we do, don't we?), and so IMO it's incumbent on whoever breaks the
>             update to
>             fix things, e.g. by changing update maps appropriately.  [and I don't mean this as a punishment, or something that the person has to do on their own; I'm happy to help fix things, it's /really/ important that the update works, and not just
>             from the
>             last update].
>
>             Thanks in advance.  Apologies if I appear rude; it's not my intent.  I just want my auto-update back ;-)
>
>             On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                   Changes to Trunk (http://source.squeak.org/trunk.html) in the last 24 hours:
>
>                   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2015-November/009199.html
>
>                   Name: Squeak-Version-kfr.4713
>                   Ancestors: Squeak-Version-kfr.4712
>
>                   Unload and unregister Universes
>
>                   =============================================
>
>              
>             _,,,^..^,,,_
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
Hm,
I'm a little confused/ worried because I did not change anything yet.

Best,
Karl

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 1:29 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Karl,

Best,
Karl

Levente

Thanks,
Best,
Karl

Hi Karl,

them).

HTH

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Best,
Karl 
[cleardot.gif]

Hi,

last update].

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Karl,

On Dec 10, 2015, at 9:59 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hm,
I'm a little confused/ worried because I did not change anything yet.

So was I when I replied yesterday cuz I didn't see what's changed.  But it is fixed.  Levente did you fix it?  Is that what should be read from your last message?  If so, much thanks!

Best,
Karl

Thanks Karl,

Best,
Karl

Levente

Thanks,
Best,
Karl

Hi Karl,

them).

HTH

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Best,
Karl 
[cleardot.gif]

Hi,

last update].

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi
Hi All,

I haven't changed anything, so it must be some randomness in the update
process. I still think that we should make a new .mcm with the last
version of Squeak-Version and with no Universes package in it.

Levente

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> On Dec 10, 2015, at 9:59 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>       Hm,I'm a little confused/ worried because I did not change anything yet.
>
>
> So was I when I replied yesterday cuz I didn't see what's changed.  But it is fixed.  Levente did you fix it?  Is that what should be read from your last message?  If so, much thanks!
>
> Best,
> Karl
>
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 1:29 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Thanks Karl,
>     my auto-update script now works perfectly again.  Thanks.
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:12 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Here is a update-kfr.339.mcm with the difference from update-mt.339.mcm :
> dependency ('Squeak-Version' 'Squeak-Version-kfr.4713' '96c171dc-c340-492e-b376-30e0212b9c8e')
>
> and universes are not in it
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>       On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>             IMHO all you need to do is to fire up a Squeak image which has Squeak-Version-kfr.4713 loaded, open update-mt.339.mcm (open the Trunk repository, select this update map, and click Browse), remove Universes-mt.48 from the list
>             (select, right click, remove), and update Squeak-Version to kfr.4713 (select, right click, update from image (or repository if you're brave), and finally save it (Store) using the same name (update-mt.339).
>
>
> I tried this, but there is no stored file from the MCConfigurationBrowser... I'm not sure what is going on, why it is not outputting a update file to my local repository.
>
> I also updated from a Squeak 5.0 image and I did not run into any problems with the update...
>
>
> Best,
> Karl
>
>  
>       Here comes the tricky part: you can't overwrite an existing update map, nor can you move it away from the repository using the web interface, so an administrator of source.squeak.org will have to do one of these things to let you
>       save the correct version.
>       Alternatively, you could try to save it using different initials but same version (e.g. update-kfr.339) and hope that the update process will sort the maps lexicographically, but I'd rather not rely on this.
>
>       Levente
>
>       On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, karl ramberg wrote:
>
>             Thanks,
>             Best,
>             Karl
>
>             On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                   Hi Karl,
>                   On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                         Hi,It it related with this Levente mentioned in a mail earlier ?
>
>             "Sadly the update process will break if your image has Universes-mt.48 in it, because it'll try to load Universes-kfr.49 after it has been removed by Squeak-Version. I think removing Universes from the update map will
>             help."
>
>             I asked how to proceed but I got no answer.
>             I'm not sure how one make a update map
>
>
>             As Chris says the updates live in the "update" package.  Open up a repository browser on source.squeak.org/trunk and you'll see them towards the bottom (update.spur contains older updates from the time of the bootstrap
>             from 4.6 to what became 5.0, you can ignore
>             them).
>
>             What I would do is create a local mirror, either by fully populating my package cache with all the 5.0 packages and updates, or creating a directory repository and downloading all the packages and updates to there and
>             then play with the local repository until I
>             got the update working again, and then I would upload the changed updates to trunk.
>
>             I'm attaching SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher which is the hack I used to automate patching 4.6 packages to make them Spur compatible in the run-up to 5.0.  I'm doing this because it contains methods like
>             downloadToSourceDirAllPackageVersionsStartingWith:
>             that download all versions of a package to a local repository starting from a specific version.  Sao these hacks will help you in populating your local repository prior to experimenting. Once I'd downloaded all packages I
>             would then take a local copy and modify
>             the copy, I could then diff the original and the modified clone to see what had changed.
>
>             HTH
>
>              _,,,^..^,,,_
>
>                   Best,
>             Karl 
>             [cleardot.gif]
>
>             On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:06 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                   Hi,
>                 whatever happened in unloading Universes, it broke the ability to update a release Squeak 5.0 image to the current tip.  Hence my automated scripts to build 64-bit images are broken.  Can whoever broke the update
>             either fix it, or provide some
>             reasonable workaround so that I can restore my scripts?  What's at stake here is, well, a high performance 64-bit Squeak and/or Pharo.
>
>             I think it's reasonable, even mandatory that we should be able to update a release N image to the tip of release N.  We should have CI servers that try and do this (I think we do, don't we?), and so IMO it's incumbent on
>             whoever breaks the update to
>             fix things, e.g. by changing update maps appropriately.  [and I don't mean this as a punishment, or something that the person has to do on their own; I'm happy to help fix things, it's /really/ important that the update
>             works, and not just from the
>             last update].
>
>             Thanks in advance.  Apologies if I appear rude; it's not my intent.  I just want my auto-update back ;-)
>
>             On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                   Changes to Trunk (http://source.squeak.org/trunk.html) in the last 24 hours:
>
>                   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2015-November/009199.html
>
>                   Name: Squeak-Version-kfr.4713
>                   Ancestors: Squeak-Version-kfr.4712
>
>                   Unload and unregister Universes
>
>                   =============================================
>
>              
>             _,,,^..^,,,_
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi
I've uploaded a new mcm with the described changes.

Levente

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I haven't changed anything, so it must be some randomness in the update
> process. I still think that we should make a new .mcm with the last version
> of Squeak-Version and with no Universes package in it.
>
> Levente
>
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>> Hi Karl,
>>
>> On Dec 10, 2015, at 9:59 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>       Hm,I'm a little confused/ worried because I did not change anything
>> yet.
>>
>>
>> So was I when I replied yesterday cuz I didn't see what's changed.  But it
>> is fixed.  Levente did you fix it?  Is that what should be read from your
>> last message?  If so, much thanks!
>>
>> Best,
>> Karl
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 1:29 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>       Thanks Karl,
>>     my auto-update script now works perfectly again.  Thanks.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:12 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>       Here is a update-kfr.339.mcm with the difference from
>> update-mt.339.mcm :
>> dependency ('Squeak-Version' 'Squeak-Version-kfr.4713'
>> '96c171dc-c340-492e-b376-30e0212b9c8e')
>>
>> and universes are not in it
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>       On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Levente Uzonyi
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>             IMHO all you need to do is to fire up a Squeak image which has
>> Squeak-Version-kfr.4713 loaded, open update-mt.339.mcm (open the Trunk
>> repository, select this update map, and click Browse), remove
>> Universes-mt.48 from the list
>>             (select, right click, remove), and update Squeak-Version to
>> kfr.4713 (select, right click, update from image (or repository if you're
>> brave), and finally save it (Store) using the same name (update-mt.339).
>>
>>
>> I tried this, but there is no stored file from the
>> MCConfigurationBrowser... I'm not sure what is going on, why it is not
>> outputting a update file to my local repository.
>>
>> I also updated from a Squeak 5.0 image and I did not run into any problems
>> with the update...
>>
>>
>> Best,
>> Karl
>>
>>  
>>       Here comes the tricky part: you can't overwrite an existing update
>> map, nor can you move it away from the repository using the web interface,
>> so an administrator of source.squeak.org will have to do one of these
>> things to let you
>>       save the correct version.
>>       Alternatively, you could try to save it using different initials but
>> same version (e.g. update-kfr.339) and hope that the update process will
>> sort the maps lexicographically, but I'd rather not rely on this.
>>
>>       Levente
>>
>>       On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, karl ramberg wrote:
>>
>>             Thanks,
>>             Best,
>>             Karl
>>
>>             On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Eliot Miranda
>>                   Hi Karl,
>>                   On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM, karl ramberg
>>                         Hi,It it related with this Levente mentioned in a
>> mail earlier ?
>>
>>             "Sadly the update process will break if your image has
>> Universes-mt.48 in it, because it'll try to load Universes-kfr.49 after it
>> has been removed by Squeak-Version. I think removing Universes from the
>> update map will
>>             help."
>>
>>             I asked how to proceed but I got no answer.
>>             I'm not sure how one make a update map
>>
>>
>>             As Chris says the updates live in the "update" package.  Open
>> up a repository browser on source.squeak.org/trunk and you'll see them
>> towards the bottom (update.spur contains older updates from the time of the
>> bootstrap
>>             from 4.6 to what became 5.0, you can ignore
>>             them).
>>
>>             What I would do is create a local mirror, either by fully
>> populating my package cache with all the 5.0 packages and updates, or
>> creating a directory repository and downloading all the packages and
>> updates to there and
>>             then play with the local repository until I
>>             got the update working again, and then I would upload the
>> changed updates to trunk.
>>
>>             I'm attaching SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher which is
>> the hack I used to automate patching 4.6 packages to make them Spur
>> compatible in the run-up to 5.0.  I'm doing this because it contains
>> methods like
>>             downloadToSourceDirAllPackageVersionsStartingWith:
>>             that download all versions of a package to a local repository
>> starting from a specific version.  Sao these hacks will help you in
>> populating your local repository prior to experimenting. Once I'd
>> downloaded all packages I
>>             would then take a local copy and modify
>>             the copy, I could then diff the original and the modified clone
>> to see what had changed.
>>
>>             HTH
>>
>>              _,,,^..^,,,_
>>             best, Eliot
>>
>>                   Best,
>>             Karl 
>>             [cleardot.gif]
>>
>>             On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:06 AM, Eliot Miranda
>>                   Hi,
>>                 whatever happened in unloading Universes, it broke the
>> ability to update a release Squeak 5.0 image to the current tip.  Hence my
>> automated scripts to build 64-bit images are broken.  Can whoever broke the
>> update
>>             either fix it, or provide some
>>             reasonable workaround so that I can restore my scripts?  What's
>> at stake here is, well, a high performance 64-bit Squeak and/or Pharo.
>>
>>             I think it's reasonable, even mandatory that we should be able
>> to update a release N image to the tip of release N.  We should have CI
>> servers that try and do this (I think we do, don't we?), and so IMO it's
>> incumbent on
>>             whoever breaks the update to
>>             fix things, e.g. by changing update maps appropriately.  [and I
>> don't mean this as a punishment, or something that the person has to do on
>> their own; I'm happy to help fix things, it's /really/ important that the
>> update
>>             works, and not just from the
>>             last update].
>>
>>             Thanks in advance.  Apologies if I appear rude; it's not my
>> intent.  I just want my auto-update back ;-)
>>
>>             On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM, <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>                   Changes to Trunk (http://source.squeak.org/trunk.html) in
>> the last 24 hours:
>>
>>                  
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2015-November/009199.html
>>
>>                   Name: Squeak-Version-kfr.4713
>>                   Ancestors: Squeak-Version-kfr.4712
>>
>>                   Unload and unregister Universes
>>
>>                   =============================================
>>
>>              
>>             _,,,^..^,,,_
>>             best, Eliot
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> _,,,^..^,,,_
>> best, Eliot
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
Thanks

Best,
Karl

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've uploaded a new mcm with the described changes.

Levente

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

Hi All,

I haven't changed anything, so it must be some randomness in the update process. I still think that we should make a new .mcm with the last version of Squeak-Version and with no Universes package in it.

Levente

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, Eliot Miranda wrote:

Hi Karl,

On Dec 10, 2015, at 9:59 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hm,I'm a little confused/ worried because I did not change anything yet.

So was I when I replied yesterday cuz I didn't see what's changed.  But it is fixed.  Levente did you fix it?  Is that what should be read from your last message?  If so, much thanks!

Best,
Karl

Thanks Karl,

IMHO all you need to do is to fire up a Squeak image which has Squeak-Version-kfr.4713 loaded, open update-mt.339.mcm (open the Trunk repository, select this update map, and click Browse), remove Universes-mt.48 from the list
            (select, right click, remove), and update Squeak-Version to kfr.4713 (select, right click, update from image (or repository if you're brave), and finally save it (Store) using the same name (update-mt.339).

Best,
Karl

Here comes the tricky part: you can't overwrite an existing update map, nor can you move it away from the repository using the web interface, so an administrator of source.squeak.org will have to do one of these things to let you
      save the correct version.

Levente

Thanks,
            Best,
            Karl

Hi Karl,

"Sadly the update process will break if your image has Universes-mt.48 in it, because it'll try to load Universes-kfr.49 after it has been removed by Squeak-Version. I think removing Universes from the update map will
            help."

As Chris says the updates live in the "update" package.  Open up a repository browser on source.squeak.org/trunk and you'll see them towards the bottom (update.spur contains older updates from the time of the bootstrap
            from 4.6 to what became 5.0, you can ignore
            them).

What I would do is create a local mirror, either by fully populating my package cache with all the 5.0 packages and updates, or creating a directory repository and downloading all the packages and updates to there and
            then play with the local repository until I

I'm attaching SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher which is the hack I used to automate patching 4.6 packages to make them Spur compatible in the run-up to 5.0.  I'm doing this because it contains methods like
            downloadToSourceDirAllPackageVersionsStartingWith:
            that download all versions of a package to a local repository starting from a specific version.  Sao these hacks will help you in populating your local repository prior to experimenting. Once I'd downloaded all packages I
            would then take a local copy and modify

HTH

_,,,^..^,,,_
            best, Eliot

Best,
            Karl 
            [cleardot.gif]

Hi,
                whatever happened in unloading Universes, it broke the ability to update a release Squeak 5.0 image to the current tip.  Hence my automated scripts to build 64-bit images are broken.  Can whoever broke the update
            either fix it, or provide some

I think it's reasonable, even mandatory that we should be able to update a release N image to the tip of release N.  We should have CI servers that try and do this (I think we do, don't we?), and so IMO it's incumbent on
            whoever breaks the update to
            fix things, e.g. by changing update maps appropriately.  [and I don't mean this as a punishment, or something that the person has to do on their own; I'm happy to help fix things, it's /really/ important that the update
            works, and not just from the
            last update].

_,,,^..^,,,_
            best, Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot