Browse Editions missing in Hierarchy Browser

Browse Editions missing in Hierarchy Browser

jtuchel
I know the context menus in VASTs Browsers are not necessarily lacking entries. So this may or may not be a good idea, BUT:

I miss the "Browse Editions" contexct menu on a Class in the Hierarchy Browser (and in the menu bar as well). It really drives me crazy that I have to right-click, select Browse Class and use that new Class Browser to browse Editions. 2 Clicks too many and a disturbance in my train of thought.

Any opinions? Would people agree that we should convince Instantiations to add the menu item?

Joachim

Re: Browse Editions missing in Hierarchy Browser

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 2:09:09 AM UTC-8, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
I know the context menus in VASTs Browsers are not necessarily lacking entries. So this may or may not be a good idea, BUT:

I miss the "Browse Editions" contexct menu on a Class in the Hierarchy Browser (and in the menu bar as well). It really drives me crazy that I have to right-click, select Browse Class and use that new Class Browser to browse Editions. 2 Clicks too many and a disturbance in my train of thought.

Joachim, this may be a dumb question, but since it's a mistake I've made often enough, it's one that needs to be asked.

Are you clicking on the selected class in the class list or on the selected application in the application list of the CHB? I find myself regularly trying it from the class list and not finding the option. Perhaps Instantiations can add it there, too. If there is a single class and a singe application selected, there really is no distinction necessary for the tool.

Any opinions? Would people agree that we should convince Instantiations to add the menu item?

Joachim

Re: Browse Editions missing in Hierarchy Browser

John O'Keefe-3
Joachim -

Here is what I see in the Hierarchy Browser (V8.6.2):
  • In the menubar
    • Classes has no Browse Editions entry
    • Applications has entries for Browse Editions and Browse Class Editions
      • Browse Editions shows editions of the (Sub)Application selected in the 2nd pane
      • Browse Class Editions shows editions of the Class selected in the 1st pane
  • The context popup menus are the same
I think the menu layout and terminology might be a bit counter-intuitive, but I also think you can get what you want without opening a Class Browser.

So, what needs to be changed?

John

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 5:09:09 AM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
I know the context menus in VASTs Browsers are not necessarily lacking entries. So this may or may not be a good idea, BUT:

I miss the "Browse Editions" contexct menu on a Class in the Hierarchy Browser (and in the menu bar as well). It really drives me crazy that I have to right-click, select Browse Class and use that new Class Browser to browse Editions. 2 Clicks too many and a disturbance in my train of thought.

Any opinions? Would people agree that we should convince Instantiations to add the menu item?

Joachim

Re: Browse Editions missing in Hierarchy Browser

jtuchel
Richard,

your question is not dumb at all. I had to hit my forehead for a second, because of course there is no context in the Hierarchy Browser.

But then, thinkind about it for another second, I thought: wait, in how far is this different from a Class Browser that was opened by clickung Tools->Browse Class in the Transcript. It is also not sure which Application I am looking at in that Class Browser, right? Maybe the Class Browser has some default-guessing-algorhithm that the Hierarchy Browser is missing (maybe even for a reason)...

Joachim

Am Montag, 2. November 2015 17:42:46 UTC+1 schrieb Richard Sargent:
[...]

Hi John,

thanks for pointing me to those menu items. I never thought about looking into the Applications Menu in order to browse Class Editions...

I think you name it: it is not intuitive, because in a Class Browser you can simply right Click on a Class and browse its editions. In a code maintenance scenario, you need to do that very often (well, I do that very often to understand what's changed, or in order to undo my stupid changes and load older editions).

So what needs to be fixed in the short term is my way of working. Still I think it is worth looking at the consistency of Browsers in VAST. Without being able to name concrete examples, I know I sometimes have similar issues looking for refactorings (with the MED extensions loaded).
This "missing" menu item for Browsing Editions or Changes is an unexpected irritation that is easy to get across, but it makes life a tiny bit harder by breaking my train of thought ;-) So it should be included in the to-do list for such a cleanup endeavour.

I will try to learn this new "deviation" for now but insist on it being second choice ;-))

Joachim