Browse Repository as a Tree

1 message Options

Browse Repository as a Tree

Andre Schnoor
IMHO the plain linear listing of simply all of a repository's content
(pundles) is pretty useless once a dozen items or more are involved. Is
there any ongoing effort for representing pundles in a tree of some kind?

I'd like to suggest the following:

Render reporsitory contents as a tree, where the top-level nodes
represent three different types:

    a) Root Bundles
        Bundles that exist for the sole purpose of loading products or
parts thereof
        into an image. These do not necessarily reflect actual re-usable
units of code.
        They could be distinguished from normal bundles by a simple tag.
I can
        think of situations, where prerequisite-only packages also
belong to
        this category.

    b) Bundles
        All the other bundles with their respective members
(bundles/packages) expanded
        to leaf nodes, exactly like in the Package Browser. These
represent structured units
        of re-usable code.

    c) Flat List
       The current flat list, in case one wants to locate in individual
item by name.

I find the distinction of  root bundles extremely valuable, because it
can be difficult to figure out the "top-level" bundles to load for a
particular product or purpose.

Changing the "Published Items" browser's left view to show this tree
shoudn't be too problematic. The only thing I couldn't yet figure out is
how to safely "tag" a bundle as a root bundle. This has also to be
persistent in the database, of course.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough spare time to start this immediately
(currently launching a product). Anyway, I'll have a look at it later
again and see what can be done.

What do you think?

Andre