BrowseIt behavior

Esteban A. Maringolo-3
Hi,

I'm experiencing a weird behavior with the "Browse-It" operation in
workspaces or method editors.

If I press Ctrl+B and there is no selection in the editor I expect
it to open an empty Class Browser, if there is a selection on
editor, I expect the actual behavior.

But when there is no selection, and you press Ctrl+B the editor
warns about that the nearest left selector isn't implemented, is
this a bug or a feature?

Example:
1. go to Object>>basicPrintString and place the cursor on the marker
(see below)

basicPrintString
        "Answer a short developer's String description of the receiver.
        Should not be overridden by subclasses"

        | aStream |
        aStream := String writeStream: 16.
        self basicPrintOn: aStream.
        ^aStream contents "<your cursor goes HERE!>"

2. Press Ctrl+B or the Browse It command.

3. Hear the warning about the undeclaration of aStream

Regards,

--
Esteban.

Re: BrowseIt behavior

Blair McGlashan-4
"Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:[hidden email]...

> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing a weird behavior with the "Browse-It" operation in
> workspaces or method editors.
>
> If I press Ctrl+B and there is no selection in the editor I expect it to
> open an empty Class Browser, if there is a selection on editor, I expect
> the actual behavior.
>
> But when there is no selection, and you press Ctrl+B the editor warns
> about that the nearest left selector isn't implemented, is this a bug or a
> feature?

It is consistent with the way all the other evaluation commands (Do it,
display it, debug it, inspect it) work, i.e. if there is no selection then
the current line is evaluated.

Regards

Blair