Browser method categories question

Costas Menico
Wouldn't it make more sense for public/private categories to be
seperate  buttons on the browser toolbar instead of categories? I
don't know about other users but I use the public category a lot (more
than other categories).  Also if you have public or private selected,
you cannot filter on other categories.

One more question on method colors in the browser. What does it mean
when a method's name is pink ?

costas

Re: Browser method categories question

Ted Bracht-2
Hi Costas,

[hidden email] (Costas Menico) wrote in message news:<[hidden email]>...
> Wouldn't it make more sense for public/private categories to be
> seperate  buttons on the browser toolbar instead of categories?

That does make sense indeed, but as the CHB source is available, why
not do it yourself, and make the result available here ;-)

> don't know about other users but I use the public category a lot (more
> than other categories).  Also if you have public or private selected,
> you cannot filter on other categories.
>
> One more question on method colors in the browser. What does it mean
> when a method's name is pink ?

That means that the method belongs to a different package than the
class.

> costas

Ted

On 29 Aug 2001 01:50:45 -0700, [hidden email] (Ted Bracht) wrote:

>Hi Costas,
>
>[hidden email] (Costas Menico) wrote in message news:<[hidden email]>...
>> Wouldn't it make more sense for public/private categories to be
>> seperate  buttons on the browser toolbar instead of categories?
>
>That does make sense indeed, but as the CHB source is available, why
>not do it yourself, and make the result available here ;-)

Ted,

After I read your book I may be able to :) Anything in there about
modifying CHBs?

Costas

Re: Browser method categories question

Blair McGlashan
Costas

"Costas Menico" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Wouldn't it make more sense for public/private categories to be
> seperate  buttons on the browser toolbar instead of categories? I
> don't know about other users but I use the public category a lot (more
> than other categories).  Also if you have public or private selected,
> you cannot filter on other categories.

Perhaps, but you can sort the methods into public and private by clicking
the column header of the public/private icon column in the class browser's
method list. The alphabetic ordering is retained within the broader
public/private sort. Ideally it should be possible to select multiple
categories for filtering, but unfortunately the Windows Tree View control
does not support multiple selections so it is non-trivial to implement if we
are to retain the current hierarchical view.

> One more question on method colors in the browser. What does it mean
> when a method's name is pink ?

It means that is is a loose method, i.e. a method which belongs to a package
different to that of its class. The owning package is displayed in the
status bar.

Regards

Blair

Re: Browser method categories question

Costas Menico
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:19:43 +0100, "Blair McGlashan"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Costas
>
>"Costas Menico" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>news:[hidden email]...
>> Wouldn't it make more sense for public/private categories to be
>> seperate  buttons on the browser toolbar instead of categories? I
>> don't know about other users but I use the public category a lot (more
>> than other categories).  Also if you have public or private selected,
>> you cannot filter on other categories.
>
>Perhaps, but you can sort the methods into public and private by clicking
>the column header of the public/private icon column in the class browser's
>method list. The alphabetic ordering is retained within the broader
>public/private sort. Ideally it should be possible to select multiple
>categories for filtering, but unfortunately the Windows Tree View control
>does not support multiple selections so it is non-trivial to implement if we
>are to retain the current hierarchical view.

So thats what the blank column heading does.  It's pretty much what I
am looking for. Thanks