Bugfix status general question

Giorgio Ferraris
A & B.

after the 4,0 release there as been an upgrade, but, looking at the thread
on the newsgroup, several indication of possible bug and also af some
bugfix. I had no time to following in detail all of the threads, so my
question is just this one: there will be a collection of the fixes, or there
are no fixes becouse all of the signal are wrongs, or there are fixes under
a subscription agreement or what else?

Thanks for any answer, and good work.

--
Giorgio Ferraris
Eleven srl

Re: Bugfix status general question

Andy Bower
Giorgio,

> after the 4,0 release there as been an upgrade, but, looking at the thread
> on the newsgroup, several indication of possible bug and also af some
> bugfix. I had no time to following in detail all of the threads, so my
> question is just this one: there will be a collection of the fixes, or
there
> are no fixes becouse all of the signal are wrongs, or there are fixes
under
> a subscription agreement or what else?

There will be a 4.01 maintenance release available shortly that will address
most of the problems reported. It will be a free upgrade and will be
announced here in the newsgroup when it becomes available.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com

---
Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk WikiWeb
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
---

Re: Bugfix status general question

Bill Schwab-2
Giorgio,

> > after the 4,0 release there as been an upgrade, but, looking at the
thread
> > on the newsgroup, several indication of possible bug and also af some
> > bugfix. I had no time to following in detail all of the threads, so my
> > question is just this one: there will be a collection of the fixes, or
> there
> > are no fixes becouse all of the signal are wrongs, or there are fixes
> under
> > a subscription agreement or what else?
>
> There will be a 4.01 maintenance release available shortly that will
address
> most of the problems reported. It will be a free upgrade and will be
> announced here in the newsgroup when it becomes available.

To Andy's official answer, I'll add that the external library/startup fix is
a fairly crucial addition to my image.  Before Blair provided the initial
fix, I arrived at a bang-on-the-box workaround for a problem I was having
with sockets.  Whether from the beginning (but I _think_ Blair said it was a
result of the initial hot fix) or introduced later, there was a bug that
resulted in a cached pointer being used to access the VM library, sometimes
with disasterous results.  While normally dormant, when that bug bites, it
usually results in a complete lockup of the offending Dolphin app and
considerable collateral damage to the Windows session.  However, I had one
machine that went so far as a blue screen in response to it.

Note that one could probably get by with the official release and patch
given a little hacking related to sockets.  Is there something in particular
bothering you?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Bugfix status general question

drtau
Do you know if the 4.01 release will result in the release of a new plugin?
I'm just about to deploy an applet, and am wondering if I should wait if
there's going to be another release of the plugin.

Andy Bower wrote:

> There will be a 4.01 maintenance release available shortly that will address
> most of the problems reported. It will be a free upgrade and will be
> announced here in the newsgroup when it becomes available.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy Bower
> Dolphin Support
> http://www.object-arts.com
>
> ---
> Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk WikiWeb
> http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
> ---

Re: Bugfix status general question

Andy Bower
> Do you know if the 4.01 release will result in the release of a new
plugin?
> I'm just about to deploy an applet, and am wondering if I should wait if
> there's going to be another release of the plugin.

There will be a new plug-in but any applets you have built for 4.0 should be
compatible with 4.01.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support