Buildenvironment for a external module?

Robin Redeker-2
Hi!

I'm currently wondering how to best put together a build environment
for an external module.
Is 'gst-package --prepare' supposed to setup such an environment?

Does the generated environment run of it's own or does it have to be
included in the smalltalk build tree?

What would be the easiest/best way to start a new external module which
requires some C code?

(Sadly I'm not much into automake and autoconf)

Robin

Re: Buildenvironment for a external module?

Paolo Bonzini

> I'm currently wondering how to best put together a build environment
> for an external module.
> Is 'gst-package --prepare' supposed to setup such an environment?

More precisely, 'gst-package --prepare package.xml'.

> Does the generated environment run of it's own or does it have to be
> included in the smalltalk build tree?

It runs on its own.

> What would be the easiest/best way to start a new external module which
> requires some C code?

This one. :-)

For no required C code, it is probably easiest to distribute an entire
'.star' file and let the person using it run 'gst-package --install
foo.star'.

Paolo

Robin Redeker wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 08:41:47AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>> I'm currently wondering how to best put together a build environment
>>> for an external module.
>>> Is 'gst-package --prepare' supposed to setup such an environment?
>> More precisely, 'gst-package --prepare package.xml'.
>>
>>> Does the generated environment run of it's own or does it have to be
>>> included in the smalltalk build tree?
>> It runs on its own.
>
> Hm, and how do I continue from there? I got a gst.in, configure.ac and
> Makefile.am.
>
> I tried running the autotools as I've found it in a tutorial online, but
> it just wont work:
>
>    f# aclocal
>    aclocal: configure.ac: 7: macro `AM_PATH_GST' not found in library

Have you installed gst properly?  The AM_PATH_GST macro should be in
/usr/local/share/aclocal (ah, I see now.  Move it to /usr/share/aclocal).

>    f# automake
>    configure.ac: required file `./install-sh' not found
>    configure.ac: required file `./missing' not found

First time, you need "automake --add-missing".

Actually, all three aclocal/autoconf/automake can be replaced by
"autoreconf -fvi".  This is the incantation you need to remember.

Paolo

Re: Buildenvironment for a external module?

Paolo Bonzini

> Never mind about my other mail. I've sorted the problem out.
> I've installed gnu smalltalk to /opt/gst/ and didn't gave aclocal
> the hint to also look in /opt/gst/share/aclocal/.
>
> Everything now works great with the --prepare'd tree after running

Cool.

> I'll then try to move my Expat extension out of my local
> smalltalk-source tree and build it like that.

That'd be great.

> What files should I include if I want to distribute that tree btw.?
> Should I include the generated configure/install-sh/etc. files?

Just run "make dist" :-P

Paolo