5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Building Cog with vm-display-fbdev

Michael J. Zeder
hello everbody,

I want to build the CogVM (latest revision from squeakvm.org/svn/branches/Cog),
but with the vm-display-fbdev module (for linux framebuffer device) as default.

Now I am a bit stuck in understanding the make process. Just leaving out the "--without-vm-display-fbdev" as argument to the configure script does not lead to it being included in the compile process.
Also I don't find the exact location in the scripts, where to tell that the vm-display-fbdev should not only be included, but shall also replace the default display-X11-module.

Thanks for your help,
best regards
Michael

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Building Cog with vm-display-fbdev

Michael J. Zeder
hi!
I changed inelegantly the configure script to get a vm-display-fbdev and...
...came to understand, that there are more issues with Cog + fbdev (below is the make output).

Now I wanted to put it in a general question: are there efforts to maintain the vm-display-fbdev for CogVM? I guess there is little need for it in general, but in some cases it is nice to have (for building embedded or tiny systems the linux framebuffer is nice; sleak, confless).
Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Cheers!

/bin/bash /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld/libtool --mode=compile gcc -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin   -c -o sqUnixFBDev.lo /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c
gcc -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin -c /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c  -fPIC -DPIC -DPIC -o sqUnixFBDev.o
In file included from /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:39:0:
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm/sq.h:194:0: error: ignoring #pragma auto_inline off [-Werror=unknown-pragmas]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm/sq.h:196:0: error: ignoring #pragma auto_inline on [-Werror=unknown-pragmas]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: (near initialization for 'display_fbdev_itf.winOpen') [-Werror]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioPositionOfScreenWorkArea' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSizeOfScreenWorkArea' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSetCursorPositionXY' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioGetWindowHandle' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioPositionOfNativeDisplay' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSizeOfNativeDisplay' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioPositionOfNativeWindow' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSizeOfNativeWindow' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:407:14: error: 'display_dndLaunchFile' defined but not used [-Werror=unused-function]
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

make[1]: *** [sqUnixFBDev.lo] Fehler 1
make: *** [vm-display-fbdev.la] Fehler 2

Am 29.01.2012 19:31, schrieb Michael J. Zeder:
hello everbody,

Now I am a bit stuck in understanding the make process. Just leaving out the "--without-vm-display-fbdev" as argument to the configure script does not lead to it being included in the compile process.
Also I don't find the exact location in the scripts, where to tell that the vm-display-fbdev should not only be included, but shall also replace the default display-X11-module.

Thanks for your help,
best regards
Michael

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Building Cog with vm-display-fbdev

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Michael,

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Michael J. Zeder <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi!
...came to understand, that there are more issues with Cog + fbdev (below is the make output).

Now I wanted to put it in a general question: are there efforts to maintain the vm-display-fbdev for CogVM? I guess there is little need for it in general, but in some cases it is nice to have (for building embedded or tiny systems the linux framebuffer is nice; sleak, confless).

The Cog VM is derived from Qwaq/Teleplace (a defunct company that developed Croquet for business).  There the display system was extended for additional host window support.  That support was implemented for vm-display-X11 and vm-display-null but not for vm-display-fbdev.  You'll need to implement similar stubs that you'll find in the vm-display-null, since most of these primitives don't make sense/don't do anything in the context of fbdav (which takes control of the frame buffer and is hence always full-screen).  When you've implemented the stubs please send me the code so I can implement.

Doubtless you'll have worked out that you want to say "--with-vm-display-fbdev" to get that compiled in.

HTH & good luck
Eliot

Cheers!

/bin/bash /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld/libtool --mode=compile gcc -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin   -c -o sqUnixFBDev.lo /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c
gcc -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin -c /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c  -fPIC -DPIC -DPIC -o sqUnixFBDev.o
In file included from /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:39:0:
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm/sq.h:194:0: error: ignoring #pragma auto_inline off [-Werror=unknown-pragmas]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm/sq.h:196:0: error: ignoring #pragma auto_inline on [-Werror=unknown-pragmas]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: (near initialization for 'display_fbdev_itf.winOpen') [-Werror]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioPositionOfScreenWorkArea' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSizeOfScreenWorkArea' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSetCursorPositionXY' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioGetWindowHandle' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioPositionOfNativeDisplay' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSizeOfNativeDisplay' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioPositionOfNativeWindow' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSizeOfNativeWindow' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:407:14: error: 'display_dndLaunchFile' defined but not used [-Werror=unused-function]

hello everbody,

Thanks for your help,
best regards
Michael

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

GL on fbdev (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Building Cog with vm-display-fbdev)

Michael J. Zeder
thanks to the hint of Eliot, I did some code updates. fbdev module for Cog is now committed.

One thing I'm playing around with, and I have questions about, is the following (Eliot suggested to post it here):

A project for supporting the openGL lib to render output to fbdev (like that: http://www.mesa3d.org/fbdev-dri.html) would need major efforts, right? As far as I understand linux graphics architecture, it should be possible to render directly to the framebuffer device (maybe by a memcopy from a "FBO": http://songho.ca/opengl/gl_fbo.html). 
But my knowledge doesn't reach far enough to figure out, if, how, and where that could integrate with existing/emerging squeak/GL infrastructure...

I don't know if that would be a project of major importance ;) but – as squeak's/pharo's future graphics architecture is currently under discussion – I think it should be considered, that there are many different backends... The reason I asked is, that I currently build me a tiny core linux system with a smalltalk user land. It does work and it is fun...
So thanks for any feedback!

I enjoy Smalltalk :)
Cheers
Michael

Am 30.01.2012 um 18:54 schrieb Eliot Miranda:

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Michael J. Zeder <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi!

The Cog VM is derived from Qwaq/Teleplace (a defunct company that developed Croquet for business).  There the display system was extended for additional host window support.  That support was implemented for vm-display-X11 and vm-display-null but not for vm-display-fbdev.  You'll need to implement similar stubs that you'll find in the vm-display-null, since most of these primitives don't make sense/don't do anything in the context of fbdav (which takes control of the frame buffer and is hence always full-screen).  When you've implemented the stubs please send me the code so I can implement.

Doubtless you'll have worked out that you want to say "--with-vm-display-fbdev" to get that compiled in.

HTH & good luck
Eliot

Cheers!

hello everbody,

Thanks for your help,
best regards
Michael

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: GL on fbdev

Tony Garnock-Jones-3
On 02/01/2012 04:08 PM, Michael J. Zeder wrote:
> different backends... The reason I asked is, that I currently build me a
> tiny core linux system with a smalltalk user land. It does work and it
> is fun...

That's a really interesting project. Can you tell us more about it? Do
you run everything from one VM instance and one image, or are there
multiple VM instances running under the kernel? Does any of the
traditional Unix userland survive, or have you gone full Smalltalk?

Regards,
   Tony