Building Pharo VM on Alpine Linux within Docker

Building Pharo VM on Alpine Linux within Docker

Pierce Ng-3
I've put up a Dockerfile that builds the pharo.cog.spur.minheadless VM
on Alpine Linux within Docker. This allows one to build said VM without
having to first create an Alpine Linux installation such as through
VirtualBox.

  https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Docker-Alpine/tree/master/vm.build

This is a multi-stage Dockerfile. The Pharo VM is built in an Alpine Linux
'build' container. Then the VM files are copied into a fresh Alpine Linux
Docker image. The resulting Pharo VM Docker image is ~14 MB.

The output Docker image contains the Pharo VM only and is not runnable by
itself. It is intended to be used as a base to build your own Docker image
containing your application-specific Pharo image.

Tested on Ubuntu 18.04 and MacOS Mojave.

Pierce

Re: Building Pharo VM on Alpine Linux within Docker

NorbertHartl
This is great! Do you consider to register that on dockerhub? This way a new docker image is built on commit/release. And everyone can use a static url to refer to it. I tried to create a pharo organization on dockerhub but did not find the time to do all of the necessary steps. If both were present referring to it as

pharo/alpine

would all that is needed

Norbert

On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 12:59:43PM +0100, Norbert Hartl wrote:
> This is great! Do you consider to register that on dockerhub? This way
> a new docker image is built on commit/release. And everyone can use a
> static url to refer to it. I tried to create a pharo organization on
> dockerhub but did not find the time to do all of the necessary steps.
> If both were present referring to it as
>
> pharo/alpine
>
> would all that is needed

I created an account on Dockerhub in July and uploaded manually the
version of the VM that I built back then. Let me check out how to do
auto build and release to Dockerhub.

Pierce