Building a VM and/or plugins

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

Is there a correct place to start for a Pharo VM?  I do not have a mac; Linux is of interest and Windows is currently an obligation born of inertia.  So far, I have found mentions of the need to put the sources in a conspicuous location, but I have yet to find whether that has happened or where to look for the code.

Various hassles and some accumulated success have me increasingly motivated to get SSL working.  I realize this will trigger some well-intentioned mentions of stunnel and the cryptogrpahy package, but OpenSSL is the answer in my case.  Stunnel can be misconfigured (or not configured at all), and I really cannot defend the crypto package against anything from FUD to tough questions.  IIRC, I couldn't even load it the last time I tried.

The question then becomes whether to connect to OpenSSL via FFI/Alien or to make a plugin.  One absolute requirement is that the image not turn to stone when an address is wrong, a peer crashes, or a router gets unplugged w/o warning.  The most obvious solution to me (please speak up if you disagree) is to connect/bind, read/write and disconnect on a connection-specific OS thread.  Any insights to help get there would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Re: Building a VM and/or plugins

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

I was discussing with john at esug and I think that FFI or Alien
should be in the image by default.
So I imagine that it would help you to get openSLL.
This way we could get platform widgets access (with as fallback
FileList and others).
We should really think about that for 1.1

Of course it means that a malicious guy can overuse the plugging to
access the files...

Stef

On Sep 5, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Is there a correct place to start for a Pharo VM?  I do not have a
> mac; Linux is of interest and Windows is currently an obligation
> born of inertia.  So far, I have found mentions of the need to put
> the sources in a conspicuous location, but I have yet to find
> whether that has happened or where to look for the code.
>
> Various hassles and some accumulated success have me increasingly
> motivated to get SSL working.  I realize this will trigger some well-
> intentioned mentions of stunnel and the cryptogrpahy package, but
> OpenSSL is the answer in my case.  Stunnel can be misconfigured (or
> not configured at all), and I really cannot defend the crypto
> package against anything from FUD to tough questions.  IIRC, I
> couldn't even load it the last time I tried.
>
> The question then becomes whether to connect to OpenSSL via FFI/
> Alien or to make a plugin.  One absolute requirement is that the
> image not turn to stone when an address is wrong, a peer crashes, or
> a router gets unplugged w/o warning.  The most obvious solution to
> me (please speak up if you disagree) is to connect/bind, read/write
> and disconnect on a connection-specific OS thread.  Any insights to
> help get there would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Bill

Re: Building a VM and/or plugins

EstebanLM
+1 for Alien on the VM :)

On 2009-09-06 04:49:14 -0300, Stéphane Ducasse