Building a string from incompatible objects.

1234

Re: Smalltalk Community Opinions

Bruce Samuelson
Peter Hatch wrote:

<snip>

> David should if anything be even _more_ "arrogant" and "aggressive."
> The fact is, he is in the very nice position of being able to not only
> consider the technological outlook but to also *act on his opinions*
> without having to battle through multiple layers of management hierarchy
> (which is very much like having to wade through a tar pit...).
>
> Some of us have to walk a mile in order to advance 10 feet.....

I was about to lament your position vis-a-vis management, but
then got to considering their virtues, such as their willingness
to invest heavily in a risky bet to make VisualWorks, and perhaps
Object Studio, growth products, and to employ a product manager
who's as strong an advocate as you could ask for, and who goes the
extra mile and then some in offering his own support. Considering
the management fiasco before Cincom took over, I'd say things have
improved. Nevertheless, I hope they can find a way to become more
nimble in this fast changing world. Have you guys tried the do it
and later ask for forgiveness approach, instead of mother may I?
Certainly some informal discussions with counterparts at the other
Smalltalk vendors would be ok. See what ideas come, and proceed
from there. I'm not advocating rebelling against management, but
peeling away enough of the tar for them to see more clearly.

Re: Smalltalk Community Opinions

Bijan Parsia-2
On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Bruce Samuelson wrote:
[snip]
> I was about to lament your position vis-a-vis management, but
> then got to considering their virtues, such as their willingness
> to invest heavily in a risky bet to make VisualWorks, and perhaps
> Object Studio, growth products, and to employ a product manager
> who's as strong an advocate as you could ask for, and who goes the
> extra mile and then some in offering his own support. Considering
> the management fiasco before Cincom took over, I'd say things have
> improved.

(I know you didn't go on to bash Cincom management, but I wanted to add
some praise.)

Let's add:
        1) Sponsering Camp Smalltalk 2 (including shelling out some fairly
        serious bucks, and yet CSt2 was perfectly vender neutral)

        2) Releasing several bits of VisualWorks as open source (e.g.,
        the XML framework)

        3) Starting up and (thus far) keeping a release every 4 months
        schedule.

        4) Changing the Non-commerical licence (which they inherited
        from ObjectShare and was just dreadful) in response to community
        critique.

        5) Changing the education licence in response to complaints (it's
        still a little odd, IIRC, but still there's movement)

        6) More recently, hiring a *slew* of heavyweights and turning them
        loose on the image (the recent tools and GUI threads bode well)

        7) Sponsering the revived Smalltalk Solutions.

        8) Let's not forget they run their own trade show :)

I'm sure there are others good moves.

The *biggest* still pending issue is pricing models. It's still the case,
afaik, that the current pricing structure is unacceptable and annoying to
a reasonably sized niche. It's definitely obscure and confusing.

We know they're aware of this, but they're moving slow (and probably have
good reason to move slow). What they've done thus far is *working* for
them. They've stabilized the situation, and that was key. They make
possible for people to work with VisualWorks even if you can't hook in to
their pricing scheme (via the NC version). I hope they can figure out a
way to serve the small developer/shareware market.

(I understand that they're putting some effort into exploring what might
be done with Visual Smalltalk, too.)

So, Cincom has been a *huge* win, not just for VisualWorks, but for the
Smalltalk community in general. They seem quite willing to listen, so it's
definitely worth making proposals and suggestions.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.

Re: Smalltalk Community Opinions (was Re: Building a string from incompatible objects)

Costas Menico-2
Bijan,

Now you are calling me testy. You seem to have the need to tag me with
ucalled for negative epithtets.

You directly attacked me personally simply because I disagreed with
your opinions. Worse you attacked me because I disagreed with someone
else's opinion.

We may disagree on opinions but attacking me personally especially on
behalf of someone else is not something I find amusing.

I believe you should apologize.

Regards,

Costas

Re: Building a string from incompatible objects.

Vassili Bykov-3
[hidden email] wrote in message
<[hidden email]>...
>1) Is there an official way of defining Symbols in Array literals or
>are both ways approved by the ANSI standard?

First of all, the standard makes a distiction between Symbols and Selectors.
Things like #foo are literal Selectors, #'foo' are literal Symbols. Symbols
cannot be message selectors, though the standard says "some implementations"
combine the two types into one.

Elements of a literal array may be literals or identifiers. Literals
includes both forms of Symbols, quoted and without quotes.  Identifiers are
the fun part.  The only defined meaning is for "nil", "true" and "false",
which should be resolved as in other contexts where they are
pseudo-variables. The meaning of others is undefined, so strictly speaking
#(foo) is not required to be an Array with symbol #foo.  (Though most
implementations allow it because ST-80 did).

>2) Do you know why #() was chosen for Array literals in the first
>place? I mean # is normally used for denoting Symbols. Is there (maybe
>historically) a connection between Symbols and Arrays apart from the
>fact that both are Collections which would explain the use of # in
>both cases? At least VW, Dolphin and OStudio do not evaluate to true
>when I execute #(1 2 3) == #(1 2 3) in a Workspace whereas #Foo ==
>#Foo does of course.

I believe the connection is that in both cases what follows is protected
from evaluation, and was most probably inspired by Lisp quote.  In Lisp,
'foo creates a symbol and '(foo bar) a list of symbols. Without the quote
both would still be syntactically valid expressions but with a different
meaning (a variable reference and a function call), so a quote is needed in
both cases to indicate that we want to treat them literally.  Another
interesting possible parallel is that in Lisp, quoting the list elements, as
in '('foo 'bar), would produce a different result, so '(foo bar) is the only
corrent way of creating a literal list with two symbols.  In Smalltalk-72
this was very much the same: >foo (that ">" should really look like a hand
pointing to the right) would produce a symbol, >(foo bar) a vector of
symbols, and >(>foo >bar) would not be the same as >(foo bar).  This could
explain why the hash ended up being optional inside a literal array.  My
guess is only as good as anybody else's, though, except for a few people on
the Squeak list.

--Vassili

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Costas Menico wrote:

> Now you are calling me testy. You seem to have the need to tag me with
> ucalled for negative epithtets.

This isn't testy? Ok, whatever.

> You directly attacked me personally simply because I disagreed with
> your opinions.

This is just false. I attacked your arguments and interpretations. You
continually fail to distinguish the two.

>Worse you attacked me because I disagreed with someone
> else's opinion.

No, I said that your reading was wildly uncharitable. And it
was. Demonstrate that it isn't and I'll withdraw the charge.

Frankly, not only did you misread this other person, but your tone was
rather snarky ("I will copyright it and no one else can use it.")

> We may disagree on opinions

We disagree on a lot of points, yes.

> but attacking me personally

Which I did not do, in any sane sense of "personal". If exposing severe
errors in what you actually wrote is a personal attack, we'll get no
where.

I stand by my evaluations of your arguments and interpretations.

> especially on
> behalf of someone else is not something I find amusing.

It wasn't intended to be humorous.

> I believe you should apologize.

Well, this is another one of those issues we disagree on. I thought you
were wrong for apologizing to me for "making me feel insulted" since you
did not in fact make me feel insulted. I think you are wrong for thinking
I should apologize for making personal attacks on you since I didn't make
any.

If you weren't testy (which is *not* an insult, by the way) then I
withdrawn that claim. You sure *seem* testy to me right now, but that may
be a function of electronic communication.

Of course, I may be *wrong* about whether I personally attacked you. But
you'll have to do *much* better than just asserting that I did
so. Specific quotes and pointers would be needed. (Your record in this
thread of getting what other people said right is not unblemished, so the
standards by which I evaluate your current claims about what other people
(namely me) said is correspondingly tougher.)

If you still feel aggreived, I suggest we take it to private email.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.

Re: Smalltalk Community Opinions (was Re: Building a string from incompatible objects)

Costas Menico-2
I am sure people are enjoying this quibble. But for the sake of
civility can we just stop here? I am sure there are is something more
productive to argue over. So let's shake hands ....

Regards,

Costas

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:15:20 -0500, Bijan Parsia
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Costas Menico wrote:
>
>> Now you are calling me testy. You seem to have the need to tag me with
>> ucalled for negative epithtets.
>
>This isn't testy? Ok, whatever.
>
>> You directly attacked me personally simply because I disagreed with
>> your opinions.
>
>This is just false. I attacked your arguments and interpretations. You
>continually fail to distinguish the two.
>
>>Worse you attacked me because I disagreed with someone
>> else's opinion.
>
>No, I said that your reading was wildly uncharitable. And it
>was. Demonstrate that it isn't and I'll withdraw the charge.
>
>Frankly, not only did you misread this other person, but your tone was
>rather snarky ("I will copyright it and no one else can use it.")
>
>> We may disagree on opinions
>
>We disagree on a lot of points, yes.
>
>> but attacking me personally
>
>Which I did not do, in any sane sense of "personal". If exposing severe
>errors in what you actually wrote is a personal attack, we'll get no
>where.
>
>I stand by my evaluations of your arguments and interpretations.
>
>> especially on
>> behalf of someone else is not something I find amusing.
>
>It wasn't intended to be humorous.
>
>> I believe you should apologize.
>
>Well, this is another one of those issues we disagree on. I thought you
>were wrong for apologizing to me for "making me feel insulted" since you
>did not in fact make me feel insulted. I think you are wrong for thinking
>I should apologize for making personal attacks on you since I didn't make
>any.
>
>If you weren't testy (which is *not* an insult, by the way) then I
>withdrawn that claim. You sure *seem* testy to me right now, but that may
>be a function of electronic communication.
>
>Of course, I may be *wrong* about whether I personally attacked you. But
>you'll have to do *much* better than just asserting that I did
>so. Specific quotes and pointers would be needed. (Your record in this
>thread of getting what other people said right is not unblemished, so the
>standards by which I evaluate your current claims about what other people
>(namely me) said is correspondingly tougher.)
>
>If you still feel aggreived, I suggest we take it to private email.
>
>Cheers,
>Bijan Parsia.

Re: Smalltalk Community Opinions (was Re: Building a string from incompatible objects)

Ian Upright
Bijan Parsia <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Of course, I may be *wrong* about whether I personally attacked you. But
>you'll have to do *much* better than just asserting that I did
>so. Specific quotes and pointers would be needed. (Your record in this
>thread of getting what other people said right is not unblemished, so the
>standards by which I evaluate your current claims about what other people
>(namely me) said is correspondingly tougher.)
>
>If you still feel aggreived, I suggest we take it to private email.

Please do, I'm bored already.  :-)

Ian

Re: Smalltalk Community Opinions (was Re: Building a string from incompatible objects)

L. M. Rappaport
At least confine this to comp.lang.smalltalk.advocacy instead of
posting it to three different smalltalk newsgroups.  No insult
intended - you're all nice folks - but one of the prime reasons we
supported c.l.s.a was to move this stuff out of the sight of those of
us who don't care.

Thanks,

Larry

1234