Building on VM osx 10.4

Alan Sibley
Hi folks,

I'm a rookie VM builder -- I hope I've made an obvious and easy to
spot error
in my configuration. I am seeing a substantial performance issues
with my
build :(

When it initially comes up... it pegs the CPU for 4 or 5 seconds... and
clicking on windows is like watching paint dry. 1000000 timesRepeat: []
takes 3 times as long as 3.8.6Beta6.

a) I'm building on OSX 10.4 Tiger using the developer tools
b) I believe I have the latest source from the subversion server.
c) I have two patches from Tim Rowledge concerning VMMaker
d) I have all plugins built internally except (FFLPlugin,
FileCopyPlugin,
     LocalePlugin, Mpeg3Plugin, TestOSAPlugin) which are disabled.
e) I'm using the Squeak VM OPT target
f) I've got optimization set at O3
g) I checked and don't have profiling (-pg) turned on ;)

When I view the current Squeak 3.8.6Beta6 and my build under "Shark"
I see fairly different picture (I can describe more in needed).

Let me know what kinds of information to add to help track this down.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Re: Building on VM osx 10.4

timrowledge
John recently concluded that the default version of gcc used by
XCruciatinglyCode is a little....buggered. I think the default is gcc4
and it supposedly works better with 3.3 You might also want to double
check that the 'gnuify' step was both done and successful since that
seems to make a big difference.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, [hidden email], http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Nostalgia:  The good old days multiplied by a bad memory...