classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Building the iOS VM

philippe.back@highoctane.be
I am trying to build the VM for iOS.
Got the sources from the ci jenkins server (the ones that built last month, as the current one is red).

/platforms has something looking like it. (iOS)

But cog is x86 and iOS is ARM7.

So, I guess that I have to build a StackVM for it to work.

But there is nothing about iOS in the instructions (Part1, Part2, ...)

The MacOSX VM is documented but not the iOS version.

As maintenance was taken over from John, how do we build from here?

My setup: OSX Lion, latest XCode upgraded from Snow Leopard, so I do have GCC on it as well (as LLVM doesn't work).

Target devices: iPad 2 3G, iPad 2 Wifi, iPhone 3GS (All with iOS 5.1).

My wife is a math teacher and my point with all this is to have a working VM running Dr Geo II.

I am currently having fun with Arduino and would like to bridge it with the iPad through the web (using an Ethernet Shield on the Arduino) - the whole chain running Pharo inside self build VMs.

The ultimate point is to run a summer camp with kids if I can put everything together by then.

Thanks in advance,
Philippe
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Building the iOS VM

Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 24, 2012, at 7:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I am trying to build the VM for iOS.
> Got the sources from the ci jenkins server (the ones that built last month, as the current one is red).
>
> /platforms has something looking like it. (iOS)
>
> But cog is x86 and iOS is ARM7.
>
> So, I guess that I have to build a StackVM for it to work.

yes

> But there is nothing about iOS in the instructions (Part1, Part2, ...)
>
> The MacOSX VM is documented but not the iOS version.

Indeed.

> As maintenance was taken over from John, how do we build from here?

Esteban is moving to france so right now I'm not sure that he can reply to you. But next week probably.

> My setup: OSX Lion, latest XCode upgraded from Snow Leopard, so I do have GCC on it as well (as LLVM doesn't work).
>
> Target devices: iPad 2 3G, iPad 2 Wifi, iPhone 3GS (All with iOS 5.1).
>
> My wife is a math teacher and my point with all this is to have a working VM running Dr Geo II.

Esteban is working with Hilaire on that. So may be contact hilaire. He is in the mailing-list.

> I am currently having fun with Arduino

with pharo?
What arduino board do you use?
I would like to see a demo? are you attending the pharo conference?

> and would like to bridge it with the iPad through the web (using an Ethernet Shield on the Arduino) - the whole chain running Pharo inside self build VMs.
>
> The ultimate point is to run a summer camp with kids if I can put everything together by then.

I would love that.
Luc and Noury are also working with arduino so we will have fun.

>
> Thanks in advance,
> Philippe

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
Currently, I am writing code targetting iOS for an educational game (but no Smalltalk in  there) That may change.

I am okay with helping getting the iOS VM to work. 

The main issue is that what I want is an Xcode projet that is clean. This is doable, the current Xcode project in the source tree is crappy with locations not well defined etc. Fixable. But I need to know what to do first.

Hilaire told me to look here.

I've got an Arduino Uno. In fact, I did a number of ISA (! old) cards, and interfaces, like oscilloscope board, ... I can hook that back to the Arduino and then in turn make some Pharo classes (maybe with FFI - I know some people did stuff but not on OSX) to take the data in. The fun part would be the visualization of an iPad remotely.

I saw something in Ghent (I am from Belgium). I'll try to go.
Then in Lille, there is also something. I'll go as well.

Depends in fact on how well I recover from my current eye surgery. I am locked in my home/office for 4 weeks due to retinal detachment :-( - Things should be okay by then.

For the record, I am a civil engineer and am self employed since 2000.

Philippe
2012/3/24 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>

> Got the sources from the ci jenkins server (the ones that built last month, as the current one is red).
>
>
>

yes

>

Indeed.

Esteban is moving to france so right now I'm not sure that he can reply to you. But next week probably.

> My setup: OSX Lion, latest XCode upgraded from Snow Leopard, so I do have GCC on it as well (as LLVM doesn't work).
>
>
> My wife is a math teacher and my point with all this is to have a working VM running Dr Geo II.

Esteban is working with Hilaire on that. So may be contact hilaire. He is in the mailing-list.

with pharo?

> and would like to bridge it with the iPad through the web (using an Ethernet Shield on the Arduino) - the whole chain running Pharo inside self build VMs.
>
> The ultimate point is to run a summer camp with kids if I can put everything together by then.

I would love that.

>
> Thanks in advance,
> Philippe

--
Philippe Back
"Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"

Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges

Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Stéphane Ducasse
Currently, I am writing code targetting iOS for an educational game (but no Smalltalk in  there) That may change.

I am okay with helping getting the iOS VM to work. 

The main issue is that what I want is an Xcode projet that is clean. This is doable, the current Xcode project in the source tree is crappy with locations not well defined etc. Fixable. But I need to know what to do first.

Hilaire told me to look here.

I've got an Arduino Uno. In fact, I did a number of ISA (! old) cards, and interfaces, like oscilloscope board, ... I can hook that back to the Arduino and then in turn make some Pharo classes (maybe with FFI - I know some people did stuff but not on OSX) to take the data in. The fun part would be the visualization of an iPad remotely.

I saw something in Ghent (I am from Belgium). I'll try to go.
Then in Lille, there is also something. I'll go as well.

Depends in fact on how well I recover from my current eye surgery. I am locked in my home/office for 4 weeks due to retinal detachment :-( - Things should be okay by then.

For the record, I am a civil engineer and am self employed since 2000.

Philippe

2012/3/24 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>

>
>
>

yes

>

Indeed.

>
>

with pharo?

>

I would love that.

>
> Thanks in advance,
> Philippe

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 24, 2012, at 8:05 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Currently, I am writing code targetting iOS for an educational game (but no Smalltalk in  there) That may change.
>
> I am okay with helping getting the iOS VM to work.
>
> The main issue is that what I want is an Xcode projet that is clean. This is doable, the current Xcode project in the source tree is crappy with locations not well defined etc.

if you would know what I would really like at the VM level :)….

> Fixable. But I need to know what to do first.
>
> Hilaire told me to look here.
>
> I've got an Arduino Uno. In fact, I did a number of ISA (! old) cards, and interfaces, like oscilloscope board, ... I can hook that back to the Arduino and then in turn make some Pharo classes (maybe with FFI - I know some people did stuff but not on OSX) to take the data in. The fun part would be the visualization of an iPad remotely.
>
> I saw something in Ghent (I am from Belgium). I'll try to go.
There will be esug at Ghent at the end of August.

> Then in Lille, there is also something. I'll go as well.

Now for lille this is free and 24 and 25 of May. Register so that we can prepare the meals :)
>
> Depends in fact on how well I recover from my current eye surgery. I am locked in my home/office for 4 weeks due to retinal detachment :-( - Things should be okay by then.

I hope so.

>
> For the record, I am a civil engineer and am self employed since 2000.
> http//philippeback.eu
>
> Philippe
>
> 2012/3/24 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>
> On Mar 24, 2012, at 7:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > I am trying to build the VM for iOS.
> > Got the sources from the ci jenkins server (the ones that built last month, as the current one is red).
> >
> > /platforms has something looking like it. (iOS)
> >
> > But cog is x86 and iOS is ARM7.
> >
> > So, I guess that I have to build a StackVM for it to work.
>
> yes
>
> > But there is nothing about iOS in the instructions (Part1, Part2, ...)
> >
> > The MacOSX VM is documented but not the iOS version.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > As maintenance was taken over from John, how do we build from here?
>
> Esteban is moving to france so right now I'm not sure that he can reply to you. But next week probably.
>
>
> > My setup: OSX Lion, latest XCode upgraded from Snow Leopard, so I do have GCC on it as well (as LLVM doesn't work).
> >
> > Target devices: iPad 2 3G, iPad 2 Wifi, iPhone 3GS (All with iOS 5.1).
> >
> > My wife is a math teacher and my point with all this is to have a working VM running Dr Geo II.
>
> Esteban is working with Hilaire on that. So may be contact hilaire. He is in the mailing-list.
>
> > I am currently having fun with Arduino
>
> with pharo?
> What arduino board do you use?
> I would like to see a demo? are you attending the pharo conference?
>
> > and would like to bridge it with the iPad through the web (using an Ethernet Shield on the Arduino) - the whole chain running Pharo inside self build VMs.
> >
> > The ultimate point is to run a summer camp with kids if I can put everything together by then.
>
> I would love that.
> Luc and Noury are also working with arduino so we will have fun.
>
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Philippe
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Hilaire Fernandes
In reply to this post by philippe.back@highoctane.be
Le 24/03/2012 19:26,
[hidden email] a écrit :
> My wife is a math teacher and my point with all this is to have a
> working VM running Dr Geo II.
>

Send me privately the UDID of your wife's iPad so we can add it in the
provisioning file.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo -- http://www.drgeo.eu

Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by philippe.back@highoctane.be
Hello,

I have spent a fair chunk of my day grinding my teeth at getting this working in Xcode 4.3

Not there yet.

I am better at Cmake, Xcode 4.3, iOS5.1 SDK and GenerateSources for sure...

The Xcode project gets generated but Xcode doesn't agrees with me opening it.

Key findings:

* all pathes are different with Xcode 4.3 - there is a patch for Cmake to deal with this, I applied it into my macports install.
* several frameworks are not findable as expressed in the cmake config (CoreGraphics, UIKit, ..)
* there was a bug in the image, where sqTouch.m is involved. The correct thing is IOSPlugin and not touchplugin as mentioned
* a lot of pathes are hardcoded in the image and it for sure doesn't help with the relocation of stuff by Apple

It would be great to be able to discuss this in an IM session one of these days. The answer is not far.

Attached the cmake stuff from the main dir (there are things in all plugins but they all come from generate sources initially).

Kind Regards,
Philippe