Business Widgets

Bernat Romagosa
Hi list,

I'm starting the UI of my app and I'm feeling terribly bored, as I have to do once again what has been done an infinity of times (and I myself had to do several times in different languages, frameworks, etc), the dull and boring business widgets.

I need a tree widget, some tabs, menus, etc.

How do you guys address this? Do you code your own or get them ready-made from somewhere?

If you code your own, don't you think it'd be nice if we set up some kind of widget repo from where you could just pull, for instance, a paginator, a grid, a tree or a wysiwyg editor?

If I have to code them from scratch, I'd be much more motivated knowing they'll end up somewhere useful, where people will enhance them and reuse them :)

Cheers!

Bernat.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Business Widgets

Herby Vojčík
Well, I would reuse some (not too opinionanted) JS library for View part and use my Trapped for a ViewModel; or you can ask Nicolas if his Moka project for MVC stack is good enough for some real try...

Herby

Bernat Romagosa wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm starting the UI of my app and I'm feeling terribly bored, as I
> have to do once again what has been done an infinity of times (and I
> myself had to do several times in different languages, frameworks,
> etc), the dull and boring business widgets.
>
> I need a tree widget, some tabs, menus, etc.
>
> How do you guys address this? Do you code your own or get them
> ready-made from somewhere?
>
> If you code your own, don't you think it'd be nice if we set up some
> kind of widget repo from where you could just pull, for instance, a
> paginator, a grid, a tree or a wysiwyg editor?
>
> If I have to code them from scratch, I'd be much more motivated
> knowing they'll end up somewhere useful, where people will enhance
> them
and reuse them :)

> Cheers!
>
> Bernat.
>
> --
> Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Business Widgets

Nicolas Petton

Herby Vojčík writes:

> Well, I would reuse some (not too opinionanted) JS library for View
> part and use my Trapped for a ViewModel; or you can ask Nicolas if his
> Moka project for MVC stack is good enough for some real try...

It's not yet ready for prime-time :)

Nico

> Herby
>
> Bernat Romagosa wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm starting the UI of my app and I'm feeling terribly bored, as I
>> have to do once again what has been done an infinity of times (and I
>> myself had to do several times in different languages, frameworks,
>> etc), the dull and boring business widgets.
>>
>> I need a tree widget, some tabs, menus, etc.
>>
>> How do you guys address this? Do you code your own or get them
>> ready-made from somewhere?
>>
>> If you code your own, don't you think it'd be nice if we set up some
>> kind of widget repo from where you could just pull, for instance, a
>> paginator, a grid, a tree or a wysiwyg editor?
>>
>> If I have to code them from scratch, I'd be much more motivated
>> knowing they'll end up somewhere useful, where people will enhance
>> them
> and reuse them :)
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Bernat.
>>
>> --
>> Bernat Romagosa.
>>
>> --

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Business Widgets

Bernat Romagosa
What I'll start doing is reusing the work done in Helios. Nicely refactored and proven to work ;)

2014/1/7 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>

Herby Vojčík writes:

> Well, I would reuse some (not too opinionanted) JS library for View
> part and use my Trapped for a ViewModel; or you can ask Nicolas if his
> Moka project for MVC stack is good enough for some real try...

It's not yet ready for prime-time :)

Nico

> Herby
>
> Bernat Romagosa wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm starting the UI of my app and I'm feeling terribly bored, as I
>> have to do once again what has been done an infinity of times (and I
>> myself had to do several times in different languages, frameworks,
>> etc), the dull and boring business widgets.
>>
>> I need a tree widget, some tabs, menus, etc.
>>
>> How do you guys address this? Do you code your own or get them
>> ready-made from somewhere?
>>
>> If you code your own, don't you think it'd be nice if we set up some
>> kind of widget repo from where you could just pull, for instance, a
>> paginator, a grid, a tree or a wysiwyg editor?
>>
>> If I have to code them from scratch, I'd be much more motivated
>> knowing they'll end up somewhere useful, where people will enhance
>> them
> and reuse them :)
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Bernat.
>>
>> --
>> Bernat Romagosa.
>>
>> --

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Business Widgets

Nicolas Petton
Bernat,

I would instead have a look at Moka. It is exatcly that: an extraction
of Helios widgets into a MVC framework. It's not finished, but if you do
need something like that, I'd suggest that you have a look at the branch
:)

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Business Widgets

Bernat Romagosa
Oh cool!

I'll do that, thanks :)

Bernat.

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Business Widgets

aria2end
Hi :)

I want to build something similar to Helios IDE and I've been trying to understand how it works.  Before I read this post I was alwats thinking that current Helios IDE is implementing MVC pattern because HLModel has this comment in it:

" I am the "Model" part of the MVC pattern implementation in Helios."

I thought the model part of MVC for Helios is Smalltalk core libraries and the view part is the Helios browser. I still have no idea which part is the controller part of Helios MVC.

So which part Helios is the controller part of MVC pattern ?
Deos Helios implement MVC pattern at all ?
Why do we need to extract Helios ?
Is there a different between MVC pattern and MVC framework ?

I tired to take a look at moka but I have no idea how to run it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Re: Business Widgets

Jeremy Shute-2

I can't answer for Helios specifically, but a Model is generally a thing that stores state. There are many kinds of models that make up complex systems.

So think of the textarea in a browser. Most people hook their model up to the textarea and show their text using that textarea as a "view," which of course it is from their current perspective.  Then they hook their controller up to the textarea onchange events.

The browser, of course, has its own internal representation of the state of the textarea. Without looking at the code of the browser, I am reasonably sure that class has "Model" in its name.

So, to extend that thought a bit, imagine you want to build a component that works a different way using native browser widgets... You can imagine using composition to make these classes on the browser side. Now you have native widgets and custom widgets, and your application code uses them interchangeably without knowing who implements what, or how it is implemented.  They are a widget from the client's perspective.

So what the "model" is really depends on what code you are looking at and whether you are inside the implementation or outside looking in at the interface. It's not as simple as there being just one "model."

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

On Aug 23, 2014 9:31 AM, "aria2end" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

sebastianconcept

On Aug 23, 2014, at 10:31 AM, aria2end <[hidden email]> wrote:

So which part Helios is the controller part of MVC pattern ?

Its Widgets. They are Controllers that can paint its views.

Deos Helios implement MVC pattern at all ?
Is not purist MVC but is MVC-ish.

Why do we need to extract Helios ?
Didn’t really get this question. Try rephrasing it if you like.

Is there a different between MVC pattern and MVC framework ?
Consensus. So engagement and adoption in a diverse spectrum of projects. So a lib. You can have an app that has the MVC pattern to get things done and you can build an app that uses as foundation a “well known” lib.

Re: Business Widgets

aria2end
Thank you a lot Jeremy and Sebastian, it helped a lot.

And About rephrasing my question, I wanted to know the reason of why Nicolas wants Helios widgets into a MVC framework and what is Moka ?

Re: Business Widgets

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

Moka is an attempt to extract UI elements built in Helios in more
generic and reusable widget, with a more script MVC
implementation. Helios is now a pretty complex beast, and its UI can
definitely benefit from having it extracted and improved separately.

Mola quickly evolved into something much more advanced than what you have
in Helios UI, but it's far from being ready to be used though.
aria2end <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thank you a lot Jeremy and Sebastian, it helped a lot.
>
> And About rephrasing my question, I wanted to know the reason of why Nicolas
> wants Helios widgets into a MVC framework and what is Moka ?

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Business Widgets

aria2end
That is very interesting and I really want to try it but I can't figure out how to load Moka.

I downloaded Moka from github and I used the command -bower install to get the dependencies.
But when I serve it on localost I receive so many errors. what am I doing wrong ?

Re: Business Widgets

sebastianconcept
Hey B

I'm working on something that should allow you to easily address that with boostrap plus some stuff.

Ping me on skype and I show you

It might give me  ideas on how to make a screencast for all