Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Nicolas Petton
As some of you may know there is a new Smalltalk in town - and up until
today it was called Jtalk. After a furious three week development
period
after the ESUG 2011 conference (where Jtalk raised some eyebrows) we
are
now making a first release humbly numbered 0.9. We are also taking the
opportunity to pick a slicker name for Jtalk - Amber!

New website is at:

        http://www.amber-lang.net

So, why would you take a look at Amber?

In our opinion Amber is perfectly positioned for the HTML5 onslaught
and
the explosion of all-things-javascript like for example Nodejs. It is a
Smalltalk that plays well with others and can seamlessly use Javascript
libraries.

At the same time Amber feels like a *real* Smalltalk, the environment
is
all there including Workspace, Transcript, Browser,
senders/implementors/references to class, TestRunner, Inspectors, code
editing with syntax coloring and a Debugger. There is no image, but all
compilation is incremental.

Below follows a summary of the massive changes since ESUG that
triggered
us to make a first release.

We hope you join us in developing Amber and having fun! There is
already
work being made in using Amber on top of Java using Rhino, using Amber
for making games and lots more. Fork at github, join in #amber-lang on
freenode and hop onto the mailing list.

regards, Nicolas & Göran

(and thanks to Laurent, David, Bernat, Stefan, Raimon, Alexandre, Dale,
Juraj, Ken, Pavel and everyone else that have been involved)
---------------------------------------

Language, compiler and runtime

- New 100x faster parser built using PEGjs instead of the old parser
built using PetitParser.
- New much faster ChunkParser implementation in handwritten Amber
instead of using PetitParser.
- Improved parsing error report with quoted source code plus marker
pinpointing parsing error.
- Removed PetitParser since it is no longer needed by Amber itself.
- Added compiler optimizations in the form of speculative inlining of
specific messages and control structures.
- Added support for dynamic Arrays, just like in Squeak/Pharo.
- Added support for similar dynamic Dictionaries, not seen in other
Smalltalks.
- Added & and | as allowed binary selectors and implemented them in
Boolean.
- Added a Set implementation.
- Added basic support for Packages, dependency management coming soon.

...and various extensions, enhancements and bug fixes to the library
classes.

Development environment

- A working Debugger with integrated inspector, proceed etc.
- A structure with multiple different Amber environments in different
directories.
- A working amberc command line compiler including a Makefile for
recompiling the whole Amber.
- Enabled TestRunner in the IDE for running unit tests based on SUnit.
- Added "File in" button in Workspace to easily paste and filein source
code in chunk format in the IDE.
- Added "Rename package" and "Remove package" buttons to browser that
use the new Package model.
- Added a standalone webDAV server in Amber so that it is simpler to
get
up and running and able to commit code locally.

Example code and ports

- Ported ProfStef interactive tutorial, available on Amber homepage
(www.amber-lang.net/learn.html) but also in examples directory.
- Included the ESUG presentation as an example also in the examples
directory.
- Several new examples running on Node.js and webOS included, all with
Makefiles.

Various other things

- Issue tracker on github now used as primary source, closed a bunch of
reported issues.
- Wiki pages on github with information on how to port code from other
Smalltalks, lists of articles, tutorials, roadmap and more.

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Chris Muller-3
This sounds really interesting and exciting, congratulations!

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Nicolas Petton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> use the new Package model.
> - Added a standalone webDAV server in Amber so that it is simpler to
> get
> up and running and able to commit code locally.
>

> Example code and ports
>
> - Ported ProfStef interactive tutorial, available on Amber homepage
> (www.amber-lang.net/learn.html) but also in examples directory.
> - Included the ESUG presentation as an example also in the examples
> directory.
> - Several new examples running on Node.js and webOS included, all with
> Makefiles.
>

> Various other things
>
> - Issue tracker on github now used as primary source, closed a bunch of
> reported issues.
> - Wiki pages on github with information on how to port code from other
> Smalltalks, lists of articles, tutorials, roadmap and more.

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Jon Paynter-2

Looks very promising!  any chance of a hello world-like tutorial?  something to get the ball rolling when starting from zero

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Hannes Hirzel
On 9/14/11, Jon Paynter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks very promising!  any chance of a hello world-like tutorial?  something
> to get the ball rolling when starting from zero

http://amber-lang.net/learn.html

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Jon Paynter-2
I tried it before and got an odd looking walkback-like dialog: "parse error on line 1 column 14. Expected ..."

Looks like that got fixed either on your side, or my side.
Neat tutorial on the language.  I was hoping for something that walks you through creating a simple app in the website.

I found the traditional seaside counter app.  I can browse the code, but I dont see a way to run it.  Im assuming the yellow rectangle is supposed to contain the app - but IE9, Chrome and Opera (mobile) give me an empty yellow rectangle with a dashed border.

Did I miss something?

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9/14/11, Jon Paynter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks very promising!  any chance of a hello world-like tutorial?  something
> to get the ball rolling when starting from zero

http://amber-lang.net/learn.html

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

radoslav hodnicak
Yeah, Chrome complains about jQuery being undefined in

jQuery(document).ready(function()
{'#counters'._asJQuery()._append_(smalltalk.Counter._new())._append_(smalltalk.Counter._new())});

on the doc page. Need to run the script after the page loads I guess.

Any example of using the debugger? That has been the one thing
stopping me from using Jambertalk so far - I've tried to cause various
exceptions from the workspace but nothing happened. Also, any plans to
support the right click menu?

rado

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Göran Krampe
Hi!

On 09/14/2011 10:18 AM, radoslav hodnicak wrote:
> Yeah, Chrome complains about jQuery being undefined in
>
> jQuery(document).ready(function()
> {'#counters'._asJQuery()._append_(smalltalk.Counter._new())._append_(smalltalk.Counter._new())});
>
> on the doc page. Need to run the script after the page loads I guess.

Nicolas will fix as soon as I get hold of him :). We pushed Amber 0.9
out last night and then dropped to bed quite late.

> Any example of using the debugger? That has been the one thing
> stopping me from using Jambertalk so far - I've tried to cause various
> exceptions from the workspace but nothing happened.

There is a debugger now, although not fully complete, but still usable.
You can just type in say "0 foo" in a Workspace, select code and press
"DoIt" to see it.

We plan on doing some screencasts - but haven't had time yet.

If you run code that appears to "do nothing" - make sure to check
javascript console - it might give a clue. And of course, it would
indicate a bug in Amber :)

> Also, any plans to support the right click menu?

Nicolas would have to answer "UI IDE JQuery" questions. :)

regards, Göran

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

drush66
2011/9/14 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:
> We plan on doing some screencasts - but haven't had time yet.

a brief tutorial how to arrange for simple dev enviroment without
apache would be great.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Göran Krampe
On 09/14/2011 09:35 AM, Jon Paynter wrote:
> I tried it before and got an odd looking walkback-like dialog: "parse
> error on line 1 column 14. Expected ..."
>
> Looks like that got fixed either on your side, or my side.

Not sure, if you end up selecting only a partial code or something - and
press DoIt - you will get parsing errors, and it doesn't look too pretty
right now. We will make the dialog better.

> Neat tutorial on the language.  I was hoping for something that walks
> you through creating a simple app in the website.

You can check wiki on github, especially this page:

https://github.com/NicolasPetton/amber/wiki/Buzz-from-the-net

Where there is a tutorial from Raimon Grau:

http://puntoblogspot.blogspot.com/2011/09/jtalk-tutorial-valid-until-end-of-this.html

> I found the traditional seaside counter app.  I can browse the code, but
> I dont see a way to run it.  Im assuming the yellow rectangle is

Raimon's tutorial shows one way:

'body' asJQuery append: Counter new.

...paste that into Workspace, select code and press "Doit". This will
manipulate the DOM interactively of the page - so look above the IDE and
make sure you "scroll down" because it is probably "hidden" behind the IDE.

> supposed to contain the app - but IE9, Chrome and Opera (mobile) give me
> an empty yellow rectangle with a dashed border.
>
> Did I miss something?

No, that is a bug in the page. Probably something happened when Nicolas
amberified the web pages last night. He will fix :)

regards, Göran

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Göran Krampe
On 09/14/2011 11:19 AM, Davorin Rusevljan wrote:
> 2011/9/14 Göran Krampe<[hidden email]>:
>> We plan on doing some screencasts - but haven't had time yet.
>
> a brief tutorial how to arrange for simple dev enviroment without
> apache would be great.

Ok, here it is:

- Clone Amber from github

- Install Nodejs. Depends on your platform. I know that Linux and Mac is
easy, Win seems slightly more tricky - haven't tested. You need Node if
you want to use the command line compiler anyway.

- Start Nicolas Amber server written for Node instead of Apache yadda:

        cd amber
        ./bin/server

Then surf to http://localhost:4000

That will bring you to the old "website" but you are in fact looking at
your own local git clone. Either press "Open browser" or use the two
links to open two other Amber setups.

Then commit will work.

regards, Göran

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Göran Krampe
Also - please join the Google group for more Amber discussion:

http://groups.google.com/group/amber-lang

regards, Göran

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Igor Stasenko
Tetris new startNewGame

ends up with infinite loop in
12 doesnot understand ifTrue:ifFalse:
error.

2011/9/14 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:

> Also - please join the Google group for more Amber discussion:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/amber-lang
>
> regards, Göran

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Nicolas Petton
I should have removed (or better rewrite) the Tetris game, it's outdated
and not expected to work :/

Nico

On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 13:45 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Tetris new startNewGame
>
> ends up with infinite loop in
> 12 doesnot understand ifTrue:ifFalse:
> error.
>

> 2011/9/14 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:
> > Also - please join the Google group for more Amber discussion:
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/amber-lang
> >
> > regards, Göran

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Pierce Ng-2
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:19:49AM +0200, Davorin Rusevljan wrote:
> a brief tutorial how to arrange for simple dev enviroment without
> apache would be great.

Have a look at MorphIDE.

    http://samadhiweb.com/blog/2011.09.03.morphide.html
    http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MorphIDE

Written in Pharo using Zinc.

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Richard Durr-2
Congratulations. Amber is done very, very well and has exceeded all expectations I had by far, beating even the things I liked about OMeta JS.
Amber feels and acts like a real Smalltalk environment. Awoke my interested in developing again.

And again, the name is a beautiful choice. I want a T-Shirt with the logo. Can someone vectorize it, or do I need to do it? :)

RD

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

laurent laffont

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Richard Durr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congratulations. Amber is done very, very well and has exceeded all expectations I had by far, beating even the things I liked about OMeta JS.
Amber feels and acts like a real Smalltalk environment. Awoke my interested in developing again.

And again, the name is a beautiful choice. I want a T-Shirt with the logo. Can someone vectorize it, or do I need to do it? :)

I want a T-Shirt too !!! :)

Laurent.

[...]

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
yay nerdy T-shirts about Amber!

:D

PD: so you can use http://www.threadless.com/ or something (like the brazilian threadless: http://www.camiseteria.com/ )

On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 22:06 +0200, Richard Durr wrote:
> Congratulations. Amber is done very, very well and has exceeded all
> expectations I had by far, beating even the things I liked about OMeta
> JS.
> Amber feels and acts like a real Smalltalk environment. Awoke my
> interested in developing again.
>

> And again, the name is a beautiful choice. I want a T-Shirt with the
> logo. Can someone vectorize it, or do I need to do it? :)

Thanks a lot! I can provide the svg files!

CHeers,
Nico

> [...]
>         up and running and able to commit code locally.
>

>         Example code and ports
>
>         - Ported ProfStef interactive tutorial, available on Amber
>         homepage
>         (www.amber-lang.net/learn.html) but also in examples
>         directory.
>         - Included the ESUG presentation as an example also in the
>         examples
>         directory.
>         - Several new examples running on Node.js and webOS included,
>         all with
>         Makefiles.
>

>         Various other things
>
>         - Issue tracker on github now used as primary source, closed a
>         bunch of
>         reported issues.
>         - Wiki pages on github with information on how to port code
>         from other
>         Smalltalks, lists of articles, tutorials, roadmap and more.

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Richard Durr-2